Page: 1

Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#1
Posted: 11/29/07 at 10:54pm
In case you weren't born yet or somehow missed anti-rock's greatest moment.

Poptones/Careering
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#2
Posted: 11/29/07 at 10:58pm
I loved PIL. I never knew they were on Bandstand! It seems like an odd fit, doesn't it?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#2
Posted: 11/29/07 at 11:19pm
I will never forget watching the show that day. I had seen them a few nights before, they were truly scary/fabulous on that first American tour.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#3
Posted: 11/29/07 at 11:41pm
Bandstand was THE place to be seen for all touring Rock bands back in the days before MTV. All the cool bands played it.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#4
Posted: 11/29/07 at 11:49pm
You're kidding, right? Bandstand was a joke, particularly after it left Philadelphia and the "kids" in the audience were all paid actors. Not a single band ever played a note of live music on that show. Even Madonna, who was in no place to look a gift appearance in the mouth, was condescending when she first appeared.

There were many hipper places for a band to play before MTV. Don Kirschner's Rock Concert on NBC, In Concert on ABC to name two.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#5
Posted: 11/30/07 at 12:57am
Oh it wasn't hip- but it was huge exposure. I remember seeing Prince on there for example.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Another one who dripped with condescension. But when Warner Brothers said to do it, he and Madonna did it.
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw Public Image Ltd. live in this little place by the Sheepshead Bay subway station in Brooklyn Zoo. Amazing. I also saw Iggy Pop, Billy Idol, Bow Wow Wow, The Plasmatics with Wendy O Williams and a drunk Ronnie Spector there in 81.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw all of the above too, except Billy Idol. Poor Wendy. There are some HILARIOUS clips of her on youtube now and again. Particularly the one on the chat show where she confronts Mrs. Fields for selling poison to America.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#9
Posted: 11/30/07 at 11:06am
Debbie Fields? The cookie lady? She's a doll! You back off Wendy!
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#10
Posted: 11/30/07 at 11:33am
Don't worry, Wendy killed herself.

While alive, however, she was an ardent health food advocate and what she said to Debbie was what she really believed. Before Wendy walked off the show it was hilarious to watch Debbie squirm, with her Dynasty shoulder pads and would-be power bow. No match for a Plasmatic, though.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Public Image, Ltd on American Bandstand#11
Posted: 11/30/07 at 11:47am
PiL was infinitely better than the Sex Pistols...thank you for that glorious post!
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali