Page: 1

FOOTLIGHT PARADE (James Cagney and Joan Blondell)

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
FOOTLIGHT PARADE (James Cagney and Joan Blondell)

Saw this today on a glorious big-screen print in a theater. 'Twas quite awesome. Busby's a genius!

justme2 Profile Photojustme2 Profile Photo
justme2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's genius alright.

How many times do you get to see a bus full of chorus girls changing outfits as they ride in times square to the next theater engagement?

And how many movies today possess great dialogue consisting of lines like..."Outside countess! As long as there are sidewalks, you'll have work!"

I just completed reading the new Joan Blondell Biography (finally!!! this woman gets some recognition) and it's chock full of info about her working on the Busby Berekley productions. Amazon.com and not too expensive.
"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Beautiful white skin being hit with water!"
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I've been lookin' high, and I've been lookin' low... Lookin' for my Shanghai Lil."

Love this movie!

The first time I saw it was back in the early '80s, and I remember cracking up at Cagney coming up with this whole musical featuring "cats!" It sounded vaguely familiar at the time.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
justme2 Profile Photojustme2 Profile Photo
justme2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Allen Jenkins as exasperated choreographer imitating a cat licking its paws always make me laugh. Saw this many times on TV, but nothing matches seeing it at the Stanford in Palo Alto years back.

I wonder what the unions would say about Cagney locking the chorus girls in the theater for a weekend for "secrecy sake"?
"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ah, the good ol' days.

Work 'em 'til they drop!
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Which was the one that had the girl leave her apartment, say goodbye to her cat, go to a glamorous party, and then fall out a window? I did NOT see that coming and it was just so...random.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think that was part of the humongous "Lullaby of Broadway" number in "Golddiggers of 1935."
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yeah! The first half of the movie is everyone talking in that fast-paced 1930's chatter about all this MATH and then there is this big, splashy musical number which ends in tragedy. Odd flick.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yep.

Here it is. The part you're talking about is in Part Two.

Part One:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qZws4r7IQPk

Part Two:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1gGVryQDvv4

The number is incredible with a jaw-dropping tap sequence, and won Berkeley a special Oscar for Dance Direction... but the part of the chick falling out the window is VERY random... and crazy-disturbing.

No Pu$$y, though. You must have dreamt that up.

re: FOOTLIGHT PARADE (James Cagney and Joan Blondell)

The song (originally composed for this movie) also won an Oscar.

EDIT: Actually, she DOES put her cat out before the big number starts (which is about 9 weeks long). I forgot about that! My bad.

There's a shot of the neglected pu$$y, waiting outside her door with the paper and the milk bottle at the very end.

But girlie isn't coming home.

re: FOOTLIGHT PARADE (James Cagney and Joan Blondell)
Updated On: 11/13/07 at 04:52 PM
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've been lookin' high

I've been lookin' low

Lookin' for my Shanghai Lil...
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Shanghai Lil" was, of course, the inspiration for the "Singapore Sue" number in DAMES AT SEA.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I recently watched The Gang's All Here by Busby and was surprised to learn that he could not dance at all.
....but the world goes 'round