Are kids greedier this year at Halloween?

supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are kids greedier this year at Halloween?#1
Posted: 10/31/07 at 10:38pm
My doorbell only rang 3 times tonight for Halloween. However, the kids were so greedy. I had my basket of candy out and while I was giving some to the little girls, the little boys were grabbing handfuls and not even saying thank you! One little boy was going for his third handful when I stopped him. In my day, we used to ask how much we could take before we reached into a bowl- if we even reached into the bowl. Most of the time, we waited for our neighbor to give it out first and we always said thank you. Okay- so I'm just ranting tonight. mom
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My Aunt in CT had already had 42 kids when I called her at 8:30 her time.

It's 7:40 Pacific time and I've had 2
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
caitiesus1522 Profile Photocaitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Back home, there was a limited time you could go trick or treating - from 5:30-7:30.

I was talking to my mom afterwards and she told me that she thought the kids were even more polite than ever. Every single kid said "thank you" and most said "Happy Halloween" or "have a great night." And they got over 40 kids

So maybe it is just in certain areas...
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I live at the end of a single street (not a sub-division) in the burbs. I only have one neighbor on one side and the other side is woods. Most kids don't come down this far and most of the kids in my neighborhood are too old to trick or treat. The kids that came to my house were being driven around by their moms! mom
singingwendy Profile Photosingingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had the most shocking trick or treat event yet on Friday.....

It was a miserable, rainy night, so trick or treaters were few and far between. I was even being more forgiving of the families who came by in their cars. I had the few greedy families who not only wanted one for the kids old enough to knock on the door, but for the babies in the strollers too. And then.........

It was 15 minutes before trick or treat time was over. My bell rings and I answer the door. There stands a woman...no costume...and she says "Trick or Treat. Can I have a piece of candy for my pirate who won't get out of the car?" I was so shocked I gave her candy, but then thought about what had just happened. I mean, really........trick or treating should require some effort...you don't send your MOM to the door. Heck, if you're not willing to come to the door, you shouldn't get candy. And I can't believe the mom would agree to do that! Ugh!!!
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wow Wendy- that's odd! Was the kid physically not able to come to the door? If the kid was healthy and just too tired to come to the door or just was throwing a temper tantrum then the mother should have taken the kid home! Or was there even a kid in the car? Was the woman just looking for a handout? I can see why you second guessed yourself. Nothing surprises me anymore! mom
singingwendy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well...there was a car......but I honestly didn't see a kid inside...but it was dark and rainy, so it's possible there was a "little pirate" in the car. I didn't get the impression that the kid couldn't get out of the car....since she said he "wouldn't" get out of the car. I got the feeling, since it was nearly the end of the assigned trick or treating time, that this poor kid was just exhausted and didn't want to trick or treat any more, but Mom thought he should.

I was just shocked that any mom would do that......I mean, I know it was cold and wet, but if you want candy you have to work for it! re: Are kids greedier this year at Halloween?
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My wife always makes-up bags, with 5 pieces of "fun-sized" (whatever that's supposed to mean) candy. She made 100 bags, and we ran out! We turned off the lights and removed the jack-o-laterns, and people continued to ring our doorbell, up until around 9:30.
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And I bet they were older kids coming at 9:30. A lot of my daughter's friends were going trick or treating and they are 13/14! My daughter last went at age 11 and she trick or treated for UNICEF. I think it's time to stop when you're in 6/7th grade- just sayin'. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the kids who did ring my bell, rang it continuously and then pounded on the door without even giving me a chance to answer. mom
singingwendy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I will admit that when I was in middle school some friends and I went "pumpkin caroling" using songs she had from a "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" song book. People were very confused, but we had fun!
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Are kids greedier this year at Halloween?#10
Posted: 10/31/07 at 11:51pm
We never get very many trick or treaters here in the condo complex. I left around 7pm to go play pool, but I hear we got a whopping 7. LOL
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, to the older kids coming at 9:30, and yes to the constant ringing of the doorbell and knocking on the door. I never go to the door, because it's my birthday, and everyone else gets up!
Updated On: 11/1/07 at 12:22 AM
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well- HAPPY BIRTHDAY JohnBOY2! I let everyone else do things on my birthday too! Nice photo of Mr. Goulet! mom
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They get a little worse every year.

I only caught two this year, but I just keep the hose on them.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do that many places have trick-or-treating time limits? That's so odd. Where I live, it was always self-imposed, but I don't know that anyone ever had a problem. No one came after about 8:30, which I was glad for; I was watching Pushing Daisies. re: Are kids greedier this year at Halloween?

I didn't have any problems with the kids that came to my house. I actually got a bunch of parents dressed up with their kids as well, so that was fun. A few kids carried a separate bag and asked for candy for the (costumed) child in the stroller back with the parents, but I had more than enough candy to give away, so I didn't mind.

I had one girl dressed up as a soldier with nametag that said Lieutenant So-and-so. She said it was her uncle; I thought that was really sweet.
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In my building, you have to sign up at the front desk if your kids want to trick or treat, and you have to sign up on another list if you want kids to come knocking on your door. The parents then take a copy of the list of apartments that agreed to have their doors knocked on and go to only those with their kids.

We're so organized here in the city!
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
caitiesus1522 Profile Photocaitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I went trick or treating until 8th grade, when I hit high school it was too old.

And I am surprised more places don't have a specific time! My home town not only has a specific time, but 10 minutes after police drive around telling people who are still going that it is time to go home

It seems crazy that it is less organized some places!
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Your little storybook town sounds cute, Caitie, but what, do the police start arresting people who are still out trick-or-treating past the time set by the social norm committee? re: Are kids greedier this year at Halloween?
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 11/1/07 at 08:37 AM
AudreyTwoTwo Profile PhotoAudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Only 4 groups of people came to my house, and they weren't that big. Like 5 kids at the most for 3 groups, one was 11 kids. They were all really nice.
Usually in my town the kids go nuts. I saw almost NOBODY in costumes this year. A bit disappointing.
But I did see these two little kids in a box together that said "Crayola" and they were dressed like Crayons. So cute!
The Best of Times is Now!
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I actually miss trick or treating. In my mind, its the only reason really to have children.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
AudreyTwoTwo Profile PhotoAudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually, a cop stopped me and my 2 friends asking if we were the three witches. I was dressed as a hippie, so, definitely not a witch. But he said to watch out for three witches scaring people. Then he asked if we had any Reeses, and I gave him one of mine. I'm a kissup.
The Best of Times is Now!
Perfectly Marvelous Profile PhotoPerfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree with Diva; it seems every year trick-or-treaters get progressively worse. You either have the ones that sound like they're going to bulldoze your door down in order to get their treats, or you get the ones who don't bother to dress up and expect candy anyways.

Thankfully, I only had one group of rude kids this year. I think by dressing up as Mrs. Lovett helped immensely in scaring them off a bit.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Bettyboy72 Profile PhotoBettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The kids werent greedier or ruder this year in my opinion, but they were fatter. The majority were chubby. I was giving away those snack size Pringles and one little chubby girl (who looked like an adorable cabbage patch) kept changing up her outift and coming back. I asked her sweetly, "Have you been here before?" and she said "No sir, but I like Pringles." (This was before she would have known I had Pringles if she hadn't been there before.) She was really sweet. I gave her a few extra for her effort.
"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
peach
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I had plenty of candy - as I wasn't sure how many kids we'd get. We got less than expected (I think i had maybe 10 groups with anywhere from 1-10 kids in each), so while I didn't really mind the kids taking a handful of candy, I thought it was a little bold when some went back for SECOND HANDFULS! I was like - whoa manners!

Then this adorable little pirate came to my door, and I held out the bowl, and he chose one kit-kat. I said "you can take more if you like" and he was all "thank you, that's very nice of you." He was so cute.

I left the light on until around 9:00 (if the kids don't take the candy, I will eat it which isn't good in the long run) but I didn't want to deal with too many older kids, so I thought 9:00 was a good cutoff.

A group showed up at 8:54 or so and asked if they could take the rest of the bowl because it was getting late and surely I wouldn't be getting too much more traffic - the nerve!
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's the cute, polite ones that make it worth while.

Too bad that's only about 2% of the kids. The rest of them are pushy, rude and should wash their hands.

I hate it when you have a group of kids, and the big ones in back keep pushing the little ones in front, trying to get at the candy.

Sometimes it feels like working crowd control at a rock concert.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2