About that new Madonna deal

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
About that new Madonna deal#1
Posted: 10/13/07 at 3:25pm
I guess the last thread about Madonna's Live Nation deal got lost in the vortex of the past few days, but I thought this Variety story was worth linking.

Jerby, I know you thought that my analysis was just me being sick to death of Madonna (which I am after that last album and tour, both of which I paid my hard-earned money for), but this Variety article shows that my opinion is the same as that of the Banc of America security analysts who wrote a report for Warner Bros called "For $120 Million, She's All Yours." The points are the exact same ones I made.

A Madonna exit won't trouble WMG
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
VoiceAnth22
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: About that new Madonna deal#2
Posted: 10/13/07 at 3:49pm
I get it -

Namo, believes that if you are older, a woman, and not a punk rocker vomiting up his one meal a day with a needle sticking out of his arm - and god forbid, you watch what you eat and work out -

we'll, you're just not "worthy"..

Updated On: 10/13/07 at 03:49 PM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#2
Posted: 10/13/07 at 4:31pm
You sound like somebody's grandfather.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#3
Posted: 10/13/07 at 5:50pm
Who buys music these days? Kids. Especially the kind of music Madonna makes. Unless Madonna makes a "Standards" album I cannot imagine how she will ever have a million selling album ever again.

Oh wait- if a beloved international icon is killed and she re-records 'Live to Tell' as a tribute to him (Her) and it's played at the funeral which is boradcast worldside, well, then, OK that would sell.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#4
Posted: 10/13/07 at 6:31pm
My point is that no label could make enough money off of Madonna at this point to turn a profit on 120 million dollars worth of investment.

That she has chosen to get into bed with the wildly-reviled Live Nation mega-conglomerate is certainly an option, at a time when other aging and aged artists have gone the Starbucks Hear Music route. You know, minor also-rans like Paul McCartney and some chick named Joni-something.

What would have been more interesting, and I think more in line with the "I have to honor my artistic intergrity" Madonna of the "Truth or Dare" era, would have been for her to have tried the Ani DeFranco/Prince model, or even more exciting, Radiohead's brand new "pay what you want" scheme.

But no. I think the Live Nation angle has just a smack of desperation, kind of like when David Bowie (an artist I actually respect and whose last tour was WORTH the money before it was unceremoniously shortened by his heart incident) sold shares in his future earnings to would-be investors. A bit late in the game for that, but at least he was trying something new.

Madonna has just gone from one dinosaur model to a slightly different dinosaur model. And she's in a curiously unenviable position for once. She still owes Warner's one more album. What will she turn in? Will it be a middle finger a la the Rolling Stones's contractural obligation albums "Old Friends 4 Sale" or "Got Live if You Want It"?

Lord knows Madonna likes to give the middle finger to her paying customers, LITERALLY every night on the past three tours, and she would probably love to do it to her ex-label for "not promoting her last two albums enough" but that would seriously risk alienating her dwindling American audience. And how risky would that be since she's going to have to count on them to line up and make lots of eager purchases once the Live Nation deal kicks in?

My guess, if I think of the possible outcomes, is that after one round of whatever it is that Live Nation is going to expect of her, (which I am sure could be anything but another children's book or another movie but including an album, tour, tv special, personal scent, home goods, you name it) and it will all revolve around an even lower common denominator collection of songs than "Confessions." Honestly, if Erasure hadn't already done "Abba-licious," she'd be all over that. The sales will inevitably not be up to expectations and due to "business restructuring," Live Nation (or whatever they're called by then) will end paying Madonna to go away like when EMI gave Mariah Carey $28M just to not record for them any more.

THEN maybe Madonna will do something interesting and challenging. But probably she'll just retire.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#5
Posted: 10/13/07 at 6:33pm
I would buy her duets album of American Songbook standards if she teamed up with Rod Stewart and Neil Diamond! Now THAT would rock!
PEACE.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#6
Posted: 10/13/07 at 6:57pm
I wonder which "standards" she would pick? Given her audience is still large in the international market, I bet she wouldn't limit herself to the American songbook. Her Volume 1 would probably include:

Toto's "Africa" (featuring her new son David's Kaballah School Children's Choir)

The Carpenters' "Close to You" (duet with Rod Stewart)

"I Loves You Porgy" (featuring Barry Gibb)

"Bette Davis Eyes"

Charlie Chaplin's "Smile" (acoustic)

"Dance 10, Looks 3" (duet with Rosie O'Donnell)

Carol King's "I Feel the Earth Move" (Terry Lewis & Jimmy Jam remix)

Her own "Holiday" (acapella, special guests The Wiggles)

"I'm a Believer" (duet with Neil Diamond, Kaballah mix)

"My Heart Will Go On"

SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#7
Posted: 10/13/07 at 7:04pm
And Baby It's Cold Outside with Elton John. She could sing the man's part and seduce Elton! It would be soooooo funny, doncha think?
PEACE.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#8
Posted: 10/13/07 at 7:08pm
With an Xmas remix with 4 cents of each digital download going to the Elton John Foundation for AIDS Research and 27 cents going to the LA Kaballah Center!
folkyboy Profile Photofolkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#9
Posted: 10/13/07 at 7:16pm
and don't forget the Jacques Lu Cont remix that'll come out of Smile that'll jack straight to the top of the gay club charts
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#10
Posted: 10/13/07 at 7:50pm
What happened to Bowie's heart?
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#11
Posted: 10/13/07 at 7:53pm
Slightly OT here, but did anyone buy the new Radiohead album?
If so, how much did you pay?
Just curious.
....but the world goes 'round
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#12
Posted: 10/14/07 at 12:45am
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#13
Posted: 10/14/07 at 12:56am
thanks so much, Namo.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#16
Posted: 10/27/07 at 6:36pm
She's made money of of who she was.

Good for her.

Considering that she's aging faster than the painting in my attic, let's see how things go for her.

When was her last hit?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Luscious Profile PhotoLuscious Profile Photo
Luscious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#17
Posted: 10/28/07 at 8:23am
Guess her new album with Justin Timberlake that’s due to street in March isn't going to sell or generate much buzz. The fact of the matter is record companies don't expect to sell millions of records any more. The industry is changing. Touring and merchandising is where the money is; and Madonna's last tour was the most lucratively successful tour ever by a single artist, second only to The Rolling Stones. Madonna has always known that the key to success is being able to change with the times; and to lead the way, rather than follow. She's one of the smartest and most savvy business women in the history of the entertainment industry. The $120 million is as good as in her pocket. In fact, a good portion of it already is. She only has to produce two original albums within the next 10 years, and one is already in the can. If anyone is taking a risk it's Live Nation; but it's an extremely calculated one. In the end, I sincerely doubt that either Madonna or Live Nation is going to regret their decisions.

"The deal encompasses all of Madonna's future music and music-related businesses, including the exploitation of the Madonna brand, new studio albums, touring, merchandising, fan club/web site, DVD's, music-related television and film projects and associated sponsorship agreements. This 360-degree business model will address all of Madonna's music ventures as a total entity for the first time in her career."

Billboard.biz
Express Yourself!
Updated On: 10/28/07 at 08:23 AM
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: About that new Madonna deal#18
Posted: 10/28/07 at 9:40am
I for one find this exciting. She's ushering in a new phase in her career. It sounds like a very promising venture. The three albums in 10 year deal is beneficial in that it takes off the pressure of rushing out product just for the sake of having a record "out there". In terms of branding Madonna has a wealth of material released and un released that Live Nation can tap into and use, re-package, etc. It will be interesting to see what they will do with her overall catalogue/recordings.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#19
Posted: 10/28/07 at 12:48pm
"In terms of branding Madonna has a wealth of material released and un released that Live Nation can tap into and use, re-package, etc."

I'm not sure the wealth of released material will be available to Live Nation, given that Warners owns it. If you're saying that she has the option of releasing already-recorded stuff that's been sitting around in the can, I'm afraid that wouldn't bode well for those three measly albums in 10 years. But hey, at least she can relax and slow down and not do much and still meet the contract requirements.
RetroBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: About that new Madonna deal#20
Posted: 10/28/07 at 4:27pm
Are you sure Warners owns all of it? Many artists, especially those of Madonna's caliber eventually make deals in re-negotiations where they get to own or partially own their master tapes allowing them to take the bulk of their recordings over to other labels.

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#21
Posted: 10/28/07 at 5:05pm
I doubt she does. I could be wrong.

More likely she'll be writing the word SLAVE on her cheek like another former Warners artist and releasing her new work as "Esther, La Artiste Once Beknown to Her Subjects as Madonna."
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#22
Posted: 10/28/07 at 9:56pm
lol

If she owed WB one more tour, she could go onstage and do yoga for an hour and call it a night.

And some of us would STILL pay for it. And others would give it a better review than her last tour. ;P
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#23
Posted: 10/29/07 at 4:34am
Her catalog is owned by Warner. She sold her label to them a while back.

My only other comment is about the numbers being tossed around as to her touring potential. $500M for three tours in the last 6 years? She tours every other year? Is that right? This last tour was her most successful? I'm not calling anyone a liar, these just don't sound right to me.

But the main thing about her tours are- doesn't she hate touring? It seems like she used to say "this is the last one" every time she started the bus.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#24
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:53pm
I have never heard her say that a tour was going to be the last one. And it would have stuck in my mind precisely because I loathe when artists say that--almost all of them go back from The Judds to Babs to JayZ.

The 500 million was Variety's number--not mine.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#25
Posted: 10/29/07 at 11:57pm
I recall vividly after the tour for her first album she told Rolling Stone she would only do another one if Freddy DeMann "holds a gun to my head."

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: About that new Madonna deal#26
Posted: 10/30/07 at 12:04am
Well, her first tour was The Virgin Tour for her second album, and I was referring to recent years. I was only in elementary school during that first tour--and not reading Roling Stone. :P