Page: 1

DVD question

Poppy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
DVD question#1
Posted: 8/21/07 at 11:55pm
I know there are people on this Board with technical knowledge so I'm hoping someone can tell me why a DVD (legal) will not play on my new Sony DVD/VHS player/recorder. I get this message 'cannot copy or play this disc'and 'disc error.' It plays fine on my computer. My cable server tech told me that apparently my machine does not recognize the format... The people I bought it from said that mine was the only complaint they had... I bought three different shows from this organization. The machine doesn't play two, but the third is perfect. They told me that all three were created by the same format, only the discs were different...they used printable DVDs on this group and labeled ones on the others. Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Ivan the Wonderful Profile PhotoIvan the Wonderful Profile Photo
Ivan the Wonderful
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: DVD question#2
Posted: 8/22/07 at 12:00am
Where did you get them from? What is the show?
"you freakin freaks. get a ****in life. theres more to life than this stupid website." stage manager 2
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DVD question#2
Posted: 8/22/07 at 12:03am
It's not anything foreign is it?
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
Poppy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: DVD question#3
Posted: 8/22/07 at 12:28am
No, they are not foreign. They were shows performed by a regional theater.
xoxRogue Profile PhotoxoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DVD question#4
Posted: 8/22/07 at 12:54am
It could just be that your DVD player doesn't recognized burned DVDs (which I'm assuming the regional theater did). For my DVD player, it's only certain burned DVDs that don't work. It's just strange like that.
Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DVD question#5
Posted: 8/22/07 at 8:03am
They told me that all three were created by the same format, only the discs were different"

Format doesn't mean how they were created; it does mean the type of disc. The disc format can be DV+R or DV-R. Most computers will play both. But some DVD players won't play one or the other.

Since your machine is new, it probably should play both. I have a Sony DVD/VHS player/recorder DRD-VX515 and it plays both. Check your manual. It's more likely that they used a cheap brand of disc for the one that won't play. These brands are unreliable and while computers are less picky about cheap discs, DVD players are more particular. Ask them for another copy to see if that works.

The brand of blank discs I use is Verbatim. It's the highest rated in geek chatrooms. They can be difficult to find in stores. I order them online at a huge discount from http://www.supermediastore.com/ I'll also PM this to you in case it gets deleted for being an ad.

eta: you're set up to not accept PMs
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Updated On: 8/22/07 at 08:03 AM
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DVD question#6
Posted: 8/22/07 at 10:25am
I've worked in the DVD industry for the past 7 1/2 years, so I'll try to answer your question, based on my experience and knowledge...

DVD-R or DVD+R has only to do with how the disc is burned/recorded. Once the disc is finished/formatted for playback, they're all the same.

There is no such thing as 100 percent compatibility with any DVD, even replicated discs via DLTs and glass masters (the way that the major studios do it). Not all players like all discs, is the simpler way of putting it.

Disc duplication (which is what you have) is even riskier than replication (high-end disc burning). They can be a lot more "fussy" with players. There are many factors as to why the disc is having problems, and here are just a few:

Combo players (TV/VHS/DVD or any two of the three) notoriously have issues with playback... and my theory is that it's mostly because of dust and dirt which seems to work its way faster into their inner workings than stand-alone players. This is my experience. I've owned several of each, and the combo players are the first to get "fussy" with discs. I suggest you try to clean your DVD player with a disc cleaner.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Memorex-CD-DVD-Player-Laser-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00008EM7U

No guarantees that will work, but it might help.

Another issue might be the recording stock they used (I prefer TDK myself since I've had the least trouble with that brand), or the labels they used. I find that paper labels (even the thin gloss ones) are more likely to mess up playback than burned labels (like LightScribe).

Basically, you're taking your chances with any "home burned" discs and player compatibility. I would even try copying the discs onto a different brand of media. See if that works. But I would start with cleaning.

Also---Sony DVD players are pretty good with recorded media, but a different machine might work as well.

Complicated answer, ain't it?

I've been in the "trenches" too long.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Poppy
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: DVD question#7
Posted: 8/24/07 at 12:11am
Thank you all for your help. My machine is a stand alone connected to the TV and a digital cable box. I've been told the only thing different with this DVD is that they used printable DVDs for this batch of shows instead of labeled ones (whatever that means). Well, it does play fine on the computer so that will be the way I'll have to go. Thanks again.