Page: 1

Conservatives are freaking out over federal legislation to protect gay people from hate crimes

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"The 18-year-old high school senior from suburban Houston had been savagely assaulted in a 2006 hate crime, apparently targeted because he was Mexican-American, by two youths who tried to carve a swastika into his chest, burned him with cigarettes and kicked a plastic tube from a patio umbrella into his rectum, rupturing his internal organs.

But after 30 surgeries and months in the hospital, Ritcheson had healed enough to testify before Congress in favor of expanding the federal hate crimes law to cover more victims and make it easier for the Justice Department to investigate such cases.

Less than three months later, however, Ritcheson was dead. Still tormented by his ordeal, he committed suicide by jumping from a cruise ship into the Gulf of Mexico on July 1.

And the hate crimes law Ritcheson had pushed for has collided head-on with a controversy that had nothing to do with the teenager: the nation's bitter cultural fight over legal rights for homosexuals. The legislation, passed by the House and pending in the Senate, faces strong opposition from conservatives, some religious leaders and the White House"

(more)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-hate_newaug13,1,2186019.story?ctrack=2&cset=true
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile PhotoCaroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh my god. That is a frightening story, made even more so by the fact that I'm a gay teen in houston.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed
bschneid76 Profile Photobschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That is terrible. No one Gay or Straight should have anything as malicious as that happen to them. It is appalling that people are oppose to protecting everyone. As Louis Armstrong would sing "what a wonderful world."
"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If your gay,they really would just prefer you shut up and stay in the closet.This is why I say "out" all these homophic closet Republicans and expose their hypocrisy once and for all!
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"You've got to be taught
To be afraid
Of people whose eyes
Are oddly made,
Of people whose skin
Is a different shade.
You've got to be carefully taught."
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I forget how great that song is!
SorryGrateful
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I heard about this story a few weeks ago. It's completely disgusting and it breaks my heart.
You promised me poems. ~Tricky
Magdalene Profile PhotoMagdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
not all conservatives feel that this law is a bad idea---a hate crime is a hate crime, and punishment should be meted out accordingly.
"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tell that to the majority of the Republican party. They think all gays are less than equal.
WindyCityActor Profile PhotoWindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
agreed romantico

If not all republicans (purposely not capitalized) feel this way, then they should start speaking up...otherwise...to hell with them all!