Page: 1

It's LIZA, with a Z!

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's LIZA, with a Z!#1
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:37am
"Liza Minnelli is a familiar sight shopping in the East 60s, but someone at the neighborhood Gap could use a refresher course in recognizing local legends.

A Gatecrasher pal reports this recent sighting of her at the E. 66th and Third Ave. store, where she was being helped by a sales assistant.

"The employee asked her, 'Has anyone ever told you you look like Judy Garland?'" says the snitch. "She coldly answered, 'No!'"

You'd leave it alone after that, right?

"The confused employee went on to say, 'Oh my God! You're her! You are Judy Garland!'"

Oh. No. She. Didn't.

"Ms. Minnelli looked up with fire in her eyes and snapped back, 'Judy Garland is dead!'"

She then grabbed the pants she had been trying on "and stated to no one in particular, 'I've gotta get out of here!' She made a mad dash to the registers and then out the door."

Gatecrasher
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Dark_Angel Profile PhotoDark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#2
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:52am
Well, that sales clerk was stupid 'cuz Liza looks nothing like her mom she looks more like her father.
RobbO Profile PhotoRobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#2
Posted: 8/6/07 at 12:02pm
yeah, but i'm pretty sure that her father was a man. and dead.
XING
PED
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#3
Posted: 8/6/07 at 12:03pm
That SO didn't happen. I hope gatecrasher didn't pay for that item.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#4
Posted: 8/6/07 at 12:05pm
Liza is in Spain.
HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#5
Posted: 8/6/07 at 12:29pm
Well that makes the whole thing funnier don't you think? I mean, being mistaken for your Mom is funny, but a random woman shopping in the gap being mistaken for Judy Garland- now that is a knee slapper. Imagine her at home with her husband "Honey, do I look anything like Judy Garland? Is it this haircut? Maybe you were right I shouldn't have gone shopping in this man's topcoat, black tights and fedora!"

It could be worse- If she'd been shopping at Dollar General the clerk would have said "Ain't you Lorna Luft?"
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#6
Posted: 8/6/07 at 12:42pm
I don't know. I find it hard to find people being rude funny. But.. still that was not Liza. She is in Spain.
RobbO Profile PhotoRobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#7
Posted: 8/6/07 at 1:00pm
i'll take dame to block.
XING
PED
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#8
Posted: 8/6/07 at 1:02pm
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#9
Posted: 8/6/07 at 3:47pm
It's a meanly twisted ripoff of an incident posted on another theatre, um, 'chat' board. As related by the poster, who was standing in line behind her, someone approached Liza and asked her if anyone had ever told her she looks just like Liza Minnelli. The polite and succinct reply received was, "Yes."

The observer admitted to having a hard time not bursting out laughing.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#10
Posted: 8/6/07 at 5:49pm
"someone approached Liza and asked her if anyone had ever told her she looks just like Liza Minnelli. The polite and succinct reply received was, "Yes."

I wonder how many times in her life she's been asked that, it would get old wouldn't it.

The reference to her looking Like Judy Garland. Many is the time when watching her I've thought, My God, she looks like her mother. She just has to turn a certain way and there it is...

TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#11
Posted: 8/6/07 at 5:55pm
A: Never Happened

B: How could you miss this story right inder Liza's story?:

Original cast members Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal returned to Broadway on Thursday night for a six-week run in the East Village musical that made them famous.

The audience, clearly stocked with die-hard fans, whooped so loudly when the duo took the stage that the cast struggled to repress smirks.

I asked Rapp whether he had any nutty-fan stories.

"There was this one woman who befriended us," he said. "This person had a debilitating illness, she told us. She needed surgery. Then her mother e-mailed us to say she was in a coma."

But after the cast and the fan community rallied around her, it turned out she wasn't sick at all and was posing as her own mother in e-mails.

"It was all a lie to get close to the cast," said Rapp.

Gosh. What happened to her?

"She was a med student. She's a doctor now."
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#12
Posted: 8/6/07 at 5:57pm
Oh yeah. That happened during the original cast's run- was it a documentary or a whole episode of a TV news magazine? In any case there was very lengthy TV coverage of her faking illness to befriend the cast.
Jon
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#13
Posted: 8/8/07 at 11:28am
The Public Radio show "This American Life" did an episode on the RENT story several years ago.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#14
Posted: 8/8/07 at 2:24pm
So I'm confused- did this happen at a Gap in Spain or what?
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#15
Posted: 8/8/07 at 2:27pm
It's true! I was there!

But it wasn't a Gap. It was a Dress Barn. Or maybe an Old Navy. I can't really remember.
DAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#16
Posted: 8/8/07 at 2:30pm
Joe;
No. It just didn't happen. Must have been a slow day for the rags.
Dark_Angel Profile PhotoDark_Angel Profile Photo
Dark_Angel
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#17
Posted: 8/8/07 at 3:46pm
It was at The Dress Barn, I believe. The one in Madrid.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: It's LIZA, with a Z!#18
Posted: 8/8/07 at 6:23pm
Does Halston sell at the Dress Barn?