Page: 1

DSLR Cameras

Fabrizio2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DSLR Cameras#1
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:31pm
I am thinking about making the switch from my Canon Point and Shoot to a DSLR. I have heard that they are hard to manage because of the lenses and stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could make any reccomendations for me as far as these types of cameras go.
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#2
Posted: 8/3/07 at 9:36pm
Nikon D80 or D40.
Hard to manage, not at all. So you have to change lenses now and then, it is well worth it.
You will never be sorry.
I've had my D80 for over a year and love it
You can get a "package" at Costco on the D40 right now, the camera body, a couple of lenses, case, etc for a good price.
That's how I got my D80.
I did a lot of research and the D80 beat out the competition.
The D40 is a new smaller model
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
HeidiPuck Profile PhotoHeidiPuck Profile Photo
HeidiPuck
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: DSLR Cameras#2
Posted: 8/3/07 at 10:01pm
I'm with Elphaba. I've never had a problem managing lenses - you get a feel for what lenses to bring when.

I personally have a Nikon D50, upgrading to a D200 soon and I've never regretted it.

What I would say is to find a store to actually hold the various DSLRs. The feature sets are pretty stable across the major players (Canon and Nikon), so you should pick the camera that you're more comfortable holding. As a warning about the D40, it doesn't allow for auto focusing with older lenses. Nikon has yet to update some of it's "classic" lenses, so until then you'd have to manually focus with them.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#3
Posted: 8/3/07 at 10:40pm
I recently got the D40 package and I love it. Like Elphaba said, it's smaller and lighter than the other Nikon SLRs, but it delivers quality photos. I bought the two lens kit and invested in a third larger telephoto specifically with an upcoming trip in mind.

There is the D40 and the more costly D40X...the difference being the number of megapixels...6 vs 10.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#4
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:02am
what kills me is what I paid for a macro lense.....I saw what Best Buy wanted, and got it for almost $200 less on EBAY.

Heidi, why a 200 over an 80?

and iflit, I didn't know the D40 was only 6 megapixels. D80 is 10, but really six is probably all most people need....including me.

And Heidi, exactly....at frist I dragged all of the lenses.....but now mainly my macro, as it can also take nice regular pix, and one other.

The only problem with a DSLR and lenses etc is that it counds as one of my carry-ons when I fly, arrgh
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
HeidiPuck
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: DSLR Cameras#5
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:36am
What macro lens did you wind up with? By the way - B&h, KEH, and Adorama all have great prices on lenses, as well as very strong used departments.

As for the 80 vs. the 200, I'm drawn to the 200 because ...
- Better build quality (metal vs. plastic)
- Higher quality shutter (longer average life)
- More powerful focusing motor (faster focusing on older lenses)
- Ability to meter with old AI-S lenses
- Larger image buffer --> faster continuous shooting

The 80 has better high ISO performance than the 200, but my 50 actually does better than both of them, so I Can keep it around as a backup.

As for travel - I picked up a laptop/camera backpack. It's not good for going on shoots, but I just pack a regular camera bag in my luggage. This way, I can get all my technology in one bag and still have another for whatever.
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#6
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:47am
I got this one

Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor Macro Lens

you obviously know much, MUCH more about cameras than I do (and how to use them). I still have no idea what this puppy can do, but am learning slowly. I do have one of those Lowepro backpack backs, but just for the camera which I like.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#7
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:16am
I'm using 12.1 mp, with a macro distance of under 2 inches, with a Carl Zeiss lens, in a camera the size of a credit card....

BUT-if you like an SLR-I'd go with Nikon also! :-}
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
HeidiPuck
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: DSLR Cameras#8
Posted: 8/4/07 at 2:08pm
Elphaba: That's a great lens! And a bargain (er, relatively speaking...)

The way I learned my photography was just using my camera and figuring out what I couldn't do and why I couldn't do it. Then I just went from there. With an SLR, the camera won't be the limiting factor for most people - it tends to be lenses and lighting (and the photographer, but that's the one thing you can change).

If you ever run into any trouble - feel free to shoot me a message.
DBillyP Profile PhotoDBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#9
Posted: 8/4/07 at 6:15pm
I have a Konica Minolta Dimage A200. It is actually one of two we have in our house! Although it does not have interchangeable lenses, it does give me the feel of my old Canon T-50. It is small and lightweight and an excellent camera. The trouble is I think it has been discontinued.

Take Heidi's advice. Do your research, but find a place where you can actually hold the cameras. That's how we ended up with the first A200. We were so happy with it, we got the second.
"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near
shira467 Profile Photoshira467 Profile Photo
shira467
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#10
Posted: 8/4/07 at 6:21pm
I use Canon 20D, 10D, and use the Rebels as backup. Never had an issue and would highly recommend them.

A basic 28-135 lens can do wonders.
Deet: Shira, I Love You!
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#11
Posted: 8/4/07 at 7:21pm
My daughter has a new Nikon D200 and is "in love".
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: DSLR Cameras#12
Posted: 8/4/07 at 8:53pm
thanks Heidi, I may have some questions later.