Page: 1

Anyone here from Baltimore?

Ivan the Wonderful Profile PhotoIvan the Wonderful Profile Photo
Ivan the Wonderful
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Anyone here from Baltimore?#1
Posted: 7/26/07 at 5:07pm
A friend and me were having a discussion about Hairspray and why it wasn't filmed in Baltimore. If you are from Baltimore do you think the movie looks like it was filmed there?
"you freakin freaks. get a ****in life. theres more to life than this stupid website." stage manager 2
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone here from Baltimore?#2
Posted: 7/28/07 at 7:00pm
I'm not from Baltimore, but I know it very well. The recreation is very authentic. My only issue was with minor things like trash receptacles being way too modern, and the street USPS mailboxes being modern red and blue, instead of the early 60s green. Also, Michele Pfeiffer would have been laughed at, far more than Tracy back then. The ematiated look was most definitely not in, until about 1967, when Twiggy hit the scene.
Updated On: 7/28/07 at 07:00 PM
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone here from Baltimore?#2
Posted: 7/28/07 at 7:49pm
I didn't live in Baltimore but I had a group of friends up there when I was in high school and my best friend and I used to go up there for weekends quite often. You would have sworn you were in my friend's houses when you were in Tracy's! The streets were very much like that but I didn't care much for the rats out on the sidewalk during the day (along with Tracy's feeding them). Finding them out there at night would have been common - but not during the day. I remember there were bars on each corner of her street and the hairdresser's and shops all looked very familiar. Truthfully - it brought back many happy memories.

And you're right about Pfeiffer - only I'm not sure anyone would have laughed at her. They probably would have wondered what was wrong with her because she looked so sick.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
JohnBoy2 Profile PhotoJohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone here from Baltimore?#3
Posted: 7/29/07 at 11:13am
In 1962, I would have laughed at her. But you're right, most people would have been concerned for her well-being.
Updated On: 7/29/07 at 11:13 AM
DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anyone here from Baltimore?#4
Posted: 7/29/07 at 7:08pm
I think it looked like Baltimore, granted I wasn't alive in 1962. The formstone facades and marble steps are key touches as well as painted screens.