Band Camp Thread

brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Band Camp Thread#1
Posted: 7/24/07 at 11:49pm
Who went to band camp this summer? My kids did not, but did have cello lessons and orchestra!
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#2
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:24am
The original band camp thread will always be one of my favorites!
Fun times.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#2
Posted: 7/25/07 at 12:31am
Even Craig knows that is is one of my favs!

But, on a reality note, C10 does not like to practice, but his bow action is very nice. The cello is a beautiful instrument!
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#3
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:09am
And then there were none!
gavrochegirl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#4
Posted: 7/25/07 at 1:31am
I'm going to band camp in August. We're having one more Monday rehearsal from 6 to 8 scheduled a week before. Our school is very lucky to do band camp for one week on campus, then for one week in the mountains.

It looks like fun. Especially if you're a freshman like myself, who gets to do all of the crazy freshman stuff the sergeant at arms makes you do :)
What the puck?!
KelRel Profile PhotoKelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#5
Posted: 7/25/07 at 7:44am
I went to band camp throughout high school. It was hellishly hot, humid, and we practiced from 6:30am-6pm every day from the 2nd week in July until the week before school started. It was insane, but I loved it.
"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#6
Posted: 7/25/07 at 8:13am
Next summer I am going to sign the girls up for some music camp. This summer, they have orchestra only once a week.
bwaygal731
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: Band Camp Thread#7
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:34am
I went to Dorian music camp at Luther College. It's amazing!! It was my fourth year, but my first year at the senior high camp, and it was so fun! I play clarinet and was in band, choir and orchestra and got to be in an ensemble with Bud Herseth, who was the principal trumpet for the Chicago Symphony, which was pretty darn cool. I love it!

In a couple weeks I have marching band camp for a week where we learn next year's show music and march a little bit. So glad I'm not a freshman anymore so I don't have to stay late.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#8
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:36am
I have a beautiful cello which I play for my own enjoyment at this stage of my life. My underlying principle: inflict no harm on animal or neighbors.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#9
Posted: 7/25/07 at 10:54am
My son just needs to practice more often. He makes a nice sound and knows the notes.

BG731, I loved playing in the marching band in junior high.
Prisoner 24601 Profile PhotoPrisoner 24601 Profile Photo
Prisoner 24601
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Band Camp Thread#10
Posted: 7/25/07 at 2:14pm
I'm heading to marching band camp for 4 days in August. I also went to Blue Lake fine arts camp for band a couple of summers ago. It's in the Manistee National Forest in Michigan, and all rehearsals take place outdoors. It's really nice.

brdlwyr- It's futile to try to get any kid to practice over the summer :)
-Was that a fart?
-My fault, I fear.
James885 Profile PhotoJames885 Profile Photo
James885
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#11
Posted: 7/25/07 at 5:12pm
I'll be heading to marching band camp for the last time this august. My school has band camp for two weeks before classes start. We practice from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm the first week and from 3 pm to 9 pm the second week. It's tough (especially when it's hot and humid) but it's fun.
"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#12
Posted: 7/26/07 at 12:27am
Pris, I agree about practicing over the summer. I have a commitment from C10 for an every other day practice. We will see.
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#13
Posted: 7/26/07 at 12:31am
i have bass lessons every monday all year. i have been going for years. mostly electric bass but i'm learning what i need to know to hopefully start upright bass in college next semester.
there's a camp in ct that has several bass programs and i've always wanted to go but it's an overnight 2 week-long thing it's too hard for me to go away for anything beacuse of the food situation.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#14
Posted: 7/9/08 at 12:23am
iflitifloat:

I might have to send Rob or Craig a check to release the old Band Camp thread from the archives!!

BUT C14 is going to Band Camp this summer! She hates me for signing her up!

Anyone in Band Camp this summer?
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Band Camp Thread#15
Posted: 7/9/08 at 12:27am
I missed that one. I'll never be able to understand the legend. re: Band Camp Thread
Marianne2 Profile PhotoMarianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#16
Posted: 7/9/08 at 2:33am
I just about died of laughter at the title of this thread. I used to go to band camp for a week at college. Fun times. Especially all the stripping and naked time on the bus rides. re: Band Camp Thread
"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#17
Posted: 7/9/08 at 12:13pm
See miss pennywise? Told you so. Star Crunch and a drumline. Infinite possibilities.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
violet72 Profile Photoviolet72 Profile Photo
violet72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#18
Posted: 7/9/08 at 11:40pm
I am an instructor but we go in August for a week.....when I was in high school I went.....I think ours is a little different though...we learn our field show the whole time
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself"
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#19
Posted: 7/9/08 at 11:59pm
V72 - is this a high school camp? And, do you do one field show for all games?
violet72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#20
Posted: 7/10/08 at 12:34am
yes it is high school and we do one field show for games(although drill changes alot from Band camp till Nov) and competition...we are a highly competitive band and we are going to 9 possibly 10 shows this year....we compete in USSBA and Cavalcade....we have won a couple of championships
"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life. Define yourself"
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#21
Posted: 7/10/08 at 12:41am
What do the parents have to pay for this, or do you raise funds?
violet72
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#22
Posted: 7/10/08 at 12:59am
well we have a music booster association that does fundraisers through out the year...when you do competitions you pay a fee for the circuts of $100 a year and you can sign up for as many as you want...the competitons are not that far from our town...the farthest is 2 hours...we use school buses, until Champs then money comes out of the music boosters....for band camp each kid pays $185, they can pay in payments or fundraise to go....we are a low income district so alot of these kids fundraise throughout the year...we also go on a big overnight trip at the end of the year....we have been to Florida, LA, Lousiana, Williamsburg, Myrtle Beach, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, VA beach.....and the kids also fundraise to go on the trip
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#23
Posted: 7/10/08 at 1:11am
Congrats to you for your dedication and the hard work of your program. Band, sports, math club, etc., is so important!
brdlwyr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Band Camp Thread#24
Posted: 8/18/08 at 9:28pm
My daughter has started Marching Band Camp and all is well thus far!