Page: 1

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? the musical

DMsquared2 Profile PhotoDMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Come on, you KNOW it would be fun. Just think about casting!

If the campy Xanadu can be a Broadway show why not the notoriously campy Baby Jane?
Nipper Profile PhotoNipper Profile Photo
Nipper
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
But they DID, Blanche, they DID do a Baby Jane musical. Pretty crappy one too, from what you can find out about it on the 'net. They strayed from the movie too much, I think. If they had basically transplanted the movie to the stage with a few songs added, it would have been great.
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Didn't SOMEBODY on this board STAR in the Baby Jane musical. Perhaps he/she can tell us more about it.
PEACE.
Hiram
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Millicent Martin and Leslie Denniston starred in the musical and it didn't get good notices.

Should they ever try to do it again, I would love to see Glenn Close as Blanche and Patti Lupone as Jane. Of course that will never happen. I also like the idea of Shirley MacLaine as Blanche and Debbie Reynolds as Jane.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There was talk a few years back about Bette Midler bringing the show to Broadway. There was also some ambitious soule who wanted to remake the film with Madonna as Blanche and Courtney Love as Jane. Or was it vice versa?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
G_Schlozinski2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
o
Updated On: 7/23/07 at 11:29 AM
G_Schlozinski2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
k
Updated On: 7/24/07 at 11:42 AM
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The beginning of the film reminds me A LOT of GYPSY. It seemed taken straight out of a Dainty June audition.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How about Marie Osmond as Blanche and Donny as her "sister" Jane?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
G_Schlozinski2
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
o
Updated On: 7/24/07 at 04:39 PM
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The book was written by the novelist. The musical did not have the film rights, so nothing could be in the musical from the film that wasn't first in the novel.

The show was part campy/part serious ala Sweeney Todd. Many felt it should have chosen either direction and committed to it.

I don't believe that Martin or Denniston got bad reviews themselves. Martin would have easily snagged a Tony--it was a tour de force for her.
sondheimboy2 Profile Photosondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Joe Kv, are you sure that you aren't thinking about the old M-TV commercial that was a take-off of "Baby Jane"? The Bette character was dressed like Courtney from her '80s rock band and the Joan character was Madonna was wearing her leather boustier with the gold nipple cones and the tassels.

I don't remember the names of the songwriters of the "Baby Jane" musical. The lyricist was one of those guys who has written many produced musicals and never had a hit and the composer, I believe, wrote "Itsy, Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini"...
"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba
jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photojeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, I distinctly remember that one of the songwriters claim to fame was "Itsy Bitsy..." Also, they cut "I've Written a Letter to Daddy" for the stage version- why would they do that????????
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis
sondheimboy2 Profile Photosondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Either they couldn't get the rights to it, or the composer decided that only HIS music would be in the show...
"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
if you two had read my post, you'd have your answer. :P

nothing from the film that wasn't in the book could be used--they didn't have the film rights. it was adapted from the novel.

re: WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? the musical
ahmelie Profile Photoahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Have a recording of it. It's pretty awful/hysterical.
Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley