Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?

corsairstw Profile Photocorsairstw Profile Photo
corsairstw
Stand-by
Stand-by
Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?#0
Posted: 11/21/05 at 8:20pm
Just what the subject says. I'm wondering how many people actually do theatre/sing verses people who are simply interested in the shows because they enjoy them and don't consider themselves performers.

As for me, I'm 16 and I started off as an actor, also singing in choirs at my church and school. When I came to my current school, I discovered musical theatre and decided that this really was my passion. I still like to act in straight plays however.

Thought it might be an interesting discussion,
-Corsair
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Singer/actor, actually. Not being snide, but I'm more trained and comfortable as a singer than an actor.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
RentBoy86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes. Musical Theater is my passion and what I can see myself doing everyday and being happy and satisfied; however, I do do straight plays because thats pretty much the only thing my school offers.
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, yes and yes.

It's what I do and who I am (though I teach music to the wee ones to pay the bills).
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oops. My first offical double post. woot.
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Updated On: 11/21/05 at 08:25 PM
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Just ignore my overzealousness.

I pushed send once, I swear!
Updated On: 11/21/05 at 08:25 PM
justagirl2 Profile Photojustagirl2 Profile Photo
justagirl2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Both...I was an actor long before I was a singer (does the 5th grade school play count?), but now I might be better vocally than I am at acting, thanks to numerous choir rehearsals and voice lessons. I'm strictly musical theatre, as I've never done a straight play in my life. Maybe I shouldn't be so closed-minded to them? :)
Updated On: 11/21/05 at 08:31 PM
TheGirlontheSwing Profile PhotoTheGirlontheSwing Profile Photo
TheGirlontheSwing
Swing
Swing
I started out as a "bunhead" ballerina from a young age- and eventually got into acting and singing through being involved in school and regional shows- now musical theatre is my passion bc its a fusion of music dance an acting.
jonartdesigns Profile Photojonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yes. I also direct, choreograph, design sets and costumes, and do all the ads for my shows (i'm an art major in addition)
My Icon "Swiney" the Swine Flu Mascot- art by me. "Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
ihearttheatre
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm really a dancer, but I sing also and have more recently taken up acting. In other words, I love musical theater and I try my best, but I wouldn't consider myself a real actor/singer. I love watching actor/singers, though!
Amneris Profile PhotoAmneris Profile Photo
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm more an actor/singer who moves well. Teach me any combo, I can watch 10 times and then do it hehe.. but, I would never attend a "chicago" audition.. my style is more Mamma mia/ hairspray dance.. I am working my bum off to make my headvoice strong.. I mainly like to do Belty stuff.
SirLiir Profile PhotoSirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I am a writer who loves the powerful impact theater can have on the mind. I can act well but I have no voice whatsoever (if I ever did, at 24, I really do not have much of a chance to salvage it despite not smoking or doing anything harmful to my cords). Besides, my passion is writing and thats where I hope my future in theatre can be.
Angelofmusicerik Profile PhotoAngelofmusicerik Profile Photo
Angelofmusicerik
Stand-by
Stand-by
I do. I wish I was a singer but I am not. My friends say I am good singers but i don't know. They are just my friends they could be lieing.I need a real judge LOL.
Angel or father, friend or phantom who is it there staring? -POTO"Christine"
cubbiegirl Profile Photocubbiegirl Profile Photo
cubbiegirl
Stand-by
Stand-by
I sing a lot in the shower!

I love theatre and would have loved to have done something like that for my career. However, I never took dance or vocal lessons. I've been in a few community theatre shows but I know honestly I would never make it in the big times. It is still a dream though. A big dream. Right now I'd love to open a dinner theatre, although no one thinks it would do good in my small town.
Jim Caruso: You know, you are doing Wicked.
Stephanie J Block: I am!
Jim: Is anyone coming to that old thing?
DramaDork925
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, not professional yet, though.

Edit- I'm a much stronger singer than actor, though, which I'm trying to work on.
Am I cut out to spend my time this way?
Updated On: 11/21/05 at 09:44 PM
My Fair Lady Profile PhotoMy Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Singer/actor. I've been in vocal training for 2 years and I'm just better at singing.
Gingersnap Profile PhotoGingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
In a word, no.

I am aware of my lack of ability as a singer. As for acting, well, for family reasons, a drama major was forbidden so I pursued a different career that I am happy with.
http://www.hugh-panaro.net
La_Becca Profile PhotoLa_Becca Profile Photo
La_Becca
Understudy
Understudy
re: Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?#17
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:04pm
I am more of an actor and dancer than a singer. I sing well (alto/2nd soprano), but I've never had any serious training or voice lessons to really tap in to my full singing capabilites. But I mean, hell, I'm no rising Broadway star or anything.

In musical theater, hardcore dancing roles are given to me before hardcore singing roles. But acting is really my forte of the three.

I also do choreography and would love to direct. I automatically have a director's mindset whenever I'm watching a show.

I love all aspects of theatre.
"Love is a many splendid thing, love lifts us up where we belong, all you need is love!"
iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photoiheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?#18
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:12pm
I am a dancer and an actress. More of a dancer. Never took singing lessons..but im not too bad lol, i could probably get by in an audition if it wasn't for a lead singing role. THEATER IS MY PASSION! I would LOVE to be on Broadway some day...uhhh that is my DREAM! re: Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?
--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB
Alex LaVelle
Understudy
Understudy
re: Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?#19
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:16pm
I couldn't sing my way out of a paper bag, but I can act. However, I'm a lighting designer. I've been designing lighting for shows since my 6th grade musical. I'm also branching out into directing.
broadwaybelter Profile Photobroadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?#20
Posted: 11/21/05 at 10:19pm
definately an actor who sings
Elphaba3 Profile PhotoElphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?#21
Posted: 11/21/05 at 11:45pm
I'm an actor. I'd love to sing and dance too, but that won't happen in this lifetime.
Jazzysuite82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?#22
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:36am
I think it's possible to do both. As a matter of fact to be any kind of success you NEED both. It's no longer good enough to be a great singer with a blank stare. I'm proud to say that I'm a working actor who sings VERY well. I do monologues, Shakespear, Chekov and Miller. I'm also in an Opera opening in Feb. I think these days you have to do everything to survive. Not so 50 years ago. I think the talent pool is wider and deeper.
OddExoticCreature Profile PhotoOddExoticCreature Profile Photo
OddExoticCreature
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Do you consider yourself an actor/singer?#23
Posted: 11/22/05 at 12:46am
I'm a much stronger/more trained singer than actor...but my passion is acting and if I had to choose between straight plays/film or just being a vocalist I would choose acting. Good thing musical theater exists! Too bad I can't dance...definitely will have to take some "movement for actors" classes eventually. I adore watching dancers though, I think it's the most beautiful art form ever, especially ballet.

It's funny because I'm totally fine going into an audition I have to sing at, I love acting out songs whether it's legit, belt, comedy, or drama. But if I go in knowing I'm going to have to do a cold read I get so nervous because while I know I can act and when given the chance to develop a character I can do amazing things with it (it helps I'm also a professional writer)...cold reads I'm like, "okay...oh crap i have to figure out this character and give her personality and get the tone of the scene correctly, and aaahhh!!"
--Like an odd exotic creature on display inside a zoo, hearing children asking questions makes me ask some questions too...--
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I consider myself neither. I'm tone deaf and have never taken a drama class of any kind.

I just see a hell of a lot of shows.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt