Page: 1

Gay marriage amendment defeated

Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gay marriage amendment defeated#0
Posted: 9/30/04 at 6:26pm
The Republican-controlled House of Representatives failed to pass a proposed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage Thursday, the latest in a string of conservative pet causes pushed to a vote in the run-up to Election Day. The final vote was 227 in favor of the amendment, and 186 opposed, which fell 63 votes short of the two-thirds majority needed to pass a constitutional amendment.

"God created Adam and Eve; he didn't create Adam and Steve," said Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R-Md.) on behalf of a measure that supporters said was designed to protect an institution as old as civilization itself.

But even among majority Republicans, the issue generated dissent.

Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) was the principal speaker on behalf of the measure, taking a role that is almost always reserved for the chairman of the committee with jurisdiction. In this case, though, the leadership bypassed the Judiciary Committee, and GOP officials said the panel's chairman, Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) made clear he wanted no part of the debate. His spokesman did not immediately return a call on why he took that position.

Critics saw it differently.

"We feel love and we feel it in a way different than you," said Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.), who is openly gay. "We feel it with someone of the same sex, male or female, and we look at your institution of marriage and we see the joy it brings. How do we hurt you when we share it?"

Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) quoted Vice President Dick Cheney--who has a gay daughter--as saying, "The fact of the matter is that we live in a free society and freedom means freedom for everybody." "You are on the wrong side of history," he said to the measure's supporters. "It is wrong to take a beautiful institution like marriage and use it as an instrument of division."

Openly gay representative Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.) added: "Over the past year, we have seen a lively debate on marriage laws in states from Massachusetts to California and nearly every other state in between. The sky has not come crashing down despite the dire predictions. In each of these circumstances, the state courts and state legislatures have responded to bring about a public political debate and to address these issues in an orderly fashion."

President Bush earlier this year asked Congress to vote on the amendment, and Democrats contended that in complying, Republicans were motivated by election-year politics. Rep. Steny Hoyer of Maryland, the Democratic whip, accused GOP leaders of "raw political cynicism" and said they hoped to "create the fodder for a demagogic political ad."

"The only institution that this amendment is designed to protect is the Republican Party," said Dave Noble, executive director of the National Stonewall Democrats, a gay political group. "At its core it is little more than a political prank. The small minority of Democrats who could not understand that fact and who voted for this amendment do not deserve the support of our community."

Whatever the motivation of the House leadership, there was no disagreement that the amendment lacked the two-thirds majority needed to pass, just as it had in the Senate earlier this year, where it was killed on a procedural vote.

The Marriage Protection Amendmen—known as the Federal Marriage Amendment until it was renamed last week—said marriage in the United States "shall consist only of a man and a woman." It also would have required that neither the U.S. Constitution nor any state constitution "shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman," a provision thought by many legal experts to outlaw civil unions and domestic partnerships.

Public polls show strong opposition to gay marriage, but opinion is about evenly divided regarding a federal constitutional amendment to ban it. At the same time, voters in 11 states will decide the fate of proposed amendments to their state constitutions this fall, and opponents of bans on gay marriage concede they will be difficult to stop.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#1
Posted: 9/30/04 at 6:28pm
Well, now lets see how each representative's vote is used either for or against him/her.
BwayTheatre11
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#2
Posted: 9/30/04 at 6:29pm
This is not part of the topic, but I feel that I need to share it. This kid at my school works at the county's Reupublican Headquarters. The President is coming to my town, so he is in charge of the free tickets. Two "gay" men walked in an asked for two tickets. His boss told him to say they were all sold out. They didn't want gays coming...what an asshole.
CCM '10!
Updated On: 9/30/04 at 06:29 PM
Albin Profile PhotoAlbin Profile Photo
Albin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#3
Posted: 9/30/04 at 7:15pm
"God created Adam and Eve; he didn't create Adam and Steve,"

now that's original!!!
Chloe Profile PhotoChloe Profile Photo
Chloe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#4
Posted: 9/30/04 at 8:25pm
Everyone knew there was no way the amendment would pass. The vote was all about Bush pandering to the homophobes, and the Republicans getting yet another stick with which to beat up those who voted against it.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#5
Posted: 10/1/04 at 11:22am
one of the DUMBEST things I heard argued in support of this ammendment was that if gat people are allowed to marry, there will be an increase in births out of wedlock... UUMM.. did I miss something??
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#6
Posted: 10/1/04 at 11:25am
Of course there was no way it was to pass, but having it officially squashed is a big releaf.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#7
Posted: 10/1/04 at 11:29am
OK - two thoughts. Number one, I cannot believe someone actually used the old "adam and even not adam and steve" line. I mean I would have peed in my pants right there. I bet he thought he was being pretty clever too.
Number two, while I am thrilled that this did not pass is anyone else scared how many people DID vote in favor of the amendment? It is extremely unsettling to me to know that there are that many bigoted people in our country - even worse - running our country.
kissmycookie Profile Photokissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#8
Posted: 10/1/04 at 11:30am
Interesting that the Judiciary Committee was bypassed. Talk about bending rules to suit one's own needs...
nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#9
Posted: 10/1/04 at 11:42am
I too, am happy that this bull**** did not pass, but extremely upset at how many votes it recieved.

I remember learning about the Civil Rights Movement in high school and thinking "How could people who were against it not realize that they were working against positive progression? Didn't they realize that history would one day look down upon the way they tried to stop people from having basic rights?" Of course, they did not. And neither do these people who voted for this BULLSHIT.

That is why I just cannot help but be angry at the mere mention of the word "conservatism", in it's modern day configuration. Conservatism is what keeps our coutry from progression. The same people who don't believe that gays should be able to get married today are the ones who would have been against Civil Right's in the 1960's, I believe that. I'm not against "values", but I don't believe that those two words have to be bound up together.

That is why I love Tony Kushner:
"We can't just stop. We're not rocks- progress, migration, motion is... modernity. It's animate, it's what living things do... Even if we go faster than we should. We can't wait. And wait for what?"
-Angels In America
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#10
Posted: 10/1/04 at 12:34pm
THEN WHO CREATED STEVE?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
kissmycookie Profile Photokissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#11
Posted: 10/1/04 at 12:34pm
Pygmalion
nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Gay marriage amendment defeated#12
Posted: 10/1/04 at 6:13pm
I'm surprised that more people here haven't expressed their joy at hearing this news.