Improving range.

Ebonic_Singer Profile PhotoEbonic_Singer Profile Photo
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Improving range.#0
Posted: 9/28/04 at 5:56pm
Is it just a matter of singing scales every day with the proper breath support? I can only hit a G, and since I'm a guy, a feel a lot of good roles go to As and Bs even. Do guys have a mix? If so, how is it achieved?
zoran912 Profile Photozoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#1
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:43pm
Don't worry about it. Gs are fine. Plenty of roles don't go past Gs.
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#2
Posted: 9/28/04 at 6:59pm
Ebonic, a lot of people will have differing theories on what guys do.
I'm a tenor but my singing voice is very similar to what mezzo/belter women do and I definitely have a mix that goes into my falsetto (which is something generally said women don't have).
Sometimes, just age will help you increase your range, but practicing GOOD technique will always help your range by either lowering it, raising it, or both.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#3
Posted: 9/28/04 at 8:51pm
Updated On: 9/29/04 at 08:51 PM
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#4
Posted: 9/28/04 at 10:28pm
good point--I can sing a G, although if i were to get onto broadway and sing a sustained G every night (the last note of "What Do I Need With Love" I'd probably need work on how to do it 8 times a week and not do damage. I mean, I hit a B last week but it sounded scream-y and I quickly stopped cause I don't wanna hurt myself. Plus I hit it for like a 32nd note.
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#5
Posted: 9/28/04 at 10:32pm
Hmm, that is a big difference...you just sound like a baritone if a G is your top. Nothing wrong with that and any teacher who thinks you're just lazy for not being able to do it (and they're out there) is insane. Voices are all different. I can barely sing a B below the staff but two octaves above is just fine.
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#6
Posted: 9/28/04 at 10:33pm
I got a G for you.

A Matt_G.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#7
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:24pm
I always thought G below high C was fairly high for a guy.

I can sing an A below high C.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Elvis04CLM Profile PhotoElvis04CLM Profile Photo
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Improving range.#8
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:25pm
I have kind of a crazy range. I thought I was a baritone, but I can sing a lot lower than that. But lately I've been hitting B's and A's no problem. What really helped me to expand my range was doing exercises. Vocalizing with an "oo" or "ugh." Those seemed to help a lot.
"Okay, who wears this tight of... I can't wear that tight of pants. I like 'em flary. Who likes straight legs?! Not big buttted girls! We need some big flares at the bottom to match!" - Kelly Clarkson
GovernorSlaton Profile PhotoGovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#9
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:28pm
I have a low voice. It goes down pretty low, but I can only hit middle C, D on a good day. Is it my age, or will I just never be able to sing higher?
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Improving range.#10
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:29pm
How old are you?
"Okay, who wears this tight of... I can't wear that tight of pants. I like 'em flary. Who likes straight legs?! Not big buttted girls! We need some big flares at the bottom to match!" - Kelly Clarkson
GovernorSlaton Profile PhotoGovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#11
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:29pm
almost 14.
<----------
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Improving range.#12
Posted: 9/28/04 at 11:30pm
Well, I think you still have a lot of time before you will know what your permanent range is. I am 18 and mine changed drastically over the past 2 years.
Chote887 Profile PhotoChote887 Profile Photo
Chote887
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Improving range.#13
Posted: 9/29/04 at 12:37am
I am also 18, but the past two years my range has progressed steadily down the scale. I am a solid bass, solidly hitting a low D, as in almost two octaves below middle C, however I can't go much higher than an E flat above middle C. I am training with good technique in the hopes that it will improve.
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Improving range.#14
Posted: 9/29/04 at 12:50am
I think you'll just have to see in time what happens. If you're doing healthy training, I wouldn't stress about it. All of the vocal instructors I have talked to have said that most men don't reach their full range til their mid 20's. So that's something to look forward too I'd say.
spiderdj82 Profile Photospiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#15
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:01am
When I was in high school I was able to hit high notes for a first soprano with the greatest of ease. Then I got to college and got into voice lessons and my teacher focused more on developing my lower register because he said that if I couldn't hit baritone notes then I would have no career in the musical theatre world. After my first year of college I lost a lot of my high register. I mean, I still make a lot of girls jealous because I can sing higher notes than them but it is not as high as it used to be. I am a mix between a first and second tenor.
"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Elvis04CLM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Improving range.#16
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:03am
I know, I hope I don't lose my upper range. It adds a lot for comedic value in my concert performances. I always make girls mad cuz I sing the soprano lines with ease. When my cousin and I went to "The Phantom of the Opera" a few weeks ago, she could not stop laughing because I kept singing Carlotta's parts. They are so high, and I'd walk down the street hitting them, she was dying.
MargoChanning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#17
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:46am
Gov,

I thought I told you about those weird squealing sounds you keep making in your bedroom -- the neighbors were complaining.

Your voice probably just changed not all that long ago so you have SEVERAL years before you and your teachers will be able to figure out what your actual full adult range is going to be. At your age, just have fun and keep singing (neighbors be damned) -- tenor, baritone, bass, whatever feels comfortable. If you develop flexibility early, it'll probably lead to more range later.

I'm reminded of the great contralto Marian Anderson. She sang in church choirs from the age of 3. By the time she was a teenager, she was actually leading her choir and since few others could read music, she would sing the parts to each section to teach the choir a new piece -- soprano, 2nd soprano (mezzo), alto, tenor, baritone and bass (in the proper keys). Some have said that her range in her early prime well-exceeded four octaves, and no doubt part of the reason for that was the years spent singing all of those different male and female ranges with her choir (the other part of it was the fact that she had what Toscanini described as "a voice that comes along once a century").

While she eventually settled into being a contralto because of the timbre of her voice and her gorgeously resonant lower range, she nevertheless also would often sing soprano arias in recital (in the original key) and had a flawless soprano's high C.

Not saying you'll be the next Marian Anderson, Gov, but at your age, I'd certainly not limit myself to any particular vocal range.
"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Seany Profile PhotoSeany Profile Photo
Seany
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Improving range.#18
Posted: 9/29/04 at 1:50am
When I was 13/14, I couldn't sing anything much higher than middle E, but I'd have to probably strain to hit even that sometimes.

By the time I was 15, I could hit As above middle C.

I'm now 18, and I can hit Ds and Es above high C without going into falsetto.

Voices can change dramatically. Thank god for great voice teachers as well.
There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Updated On: 9/29/04 at 01:50 AM
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Improving range.#19
Posted: 9/29/04 at 8:23am
Updated On: 9/29/04 at 08:23 AM
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#20
Posted: 9/29/04 at 9:36am
Hmm, I'd have to disagree with training "in opera." As long as the technique is good, you'll get it right. My first teacher was a serious classical mezzo herself (a former Met finalist) and she was very good at focusing on singing for Musical Theatre, which is what she did for me. The following teachers I've had are pretty much bridgers in that they do a mix of legit and theatre singing. I do pop as well...
Also, as far as a PhD goes, I don't hold that much stock in it...after all, we've acknowledged how many bad teachers there are out there and many of them hold doctorates.
Of the best teachers I've had, one held a Master in vocal performance and the other was only a Bachelor.
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#21
Posted: 9/29/04 at 4:09pm
What would you guys call the proper technique?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#22
Posted: 9/29/04 at 4:18pm
Updated On: 9/29/04 at 04:18 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#23
Posted: 9/29/04 at 4:38pm
Margo - He cam be as loud as the Hell he wants.

I've always maintained a solid G belt and high D in head voice, which provides a lot of versatility in casting. After a few years with a good vocal coach, I could hit solid A-flats and sometimes an A, but I never needed them for any role. Considering the abundance of software and digital keyboards available, it is pretty easy to transpose a song down a key or two if the MD is willing to take the time, so it should not be much of an issue. If you really want to pursue this, then find a really top-notch vocal coach that will improve not only your singing, but your song interpretation, which can be just as valuable, if not more so.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Ebonic_Singer
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Improving range.#24
Posted: 9/30/04 at 4:19pm
Bumpifying.