CurtainUp2 Profile PhotoCurtainUp2 Profile Photo
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Most Over-Rated Film Actors Working Today#0
Posted: 9/20/04 at 7:26pm
Julia Roberts
Denzel Washington
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
Guido Contini Profile PhotoGuido Contini Profile Photo
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Halle Berry
"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD
Rose_MacShane Profile PhotoRose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll second Julia Roberts.
http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Julia Roberts? Julia Roberts?? JULIA ROBERTS???

LORD JESUS, CALM ME DOWN!!!!
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
repeat after me Matt..."woosah"..."woooooosaaaah" re: Most Over-Rated Film Actors Working Today
"Applause begets applause in the theatre, as laughter begets laughter and tears beget tears." CLAYTON HAMILTON, "Theory of the Theatre" "I think theater ought to be theatrical ... you know, shuffling the pack in different ways so that it's -- there's always some kind of ambush involved in the experience. You're being ambushed by an unexpected word, or by an elephant falling out of the cupboard, whatever it is." TOM STOPPARD
thirdrowcenter Profile Photothirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jullia Roberts
Ben Stiller
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Now, Now Matt... take a deep cleansing breath. I just don't think Julia Roberts has much of a range. I've never seen her play anyone other than Julia Roberts.
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. - Nelson Mandela
ForTheLoveOfLea Profile PhotoForTheLoveOfLea Profile Photo
ForTheLoveOfLea
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Leonardo DiCaprio. I hated Titanic. It was a waste of Kate Winslet.
Thou giveth fever.
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Lea, you're right Kate was wasted in that movie...but Leo doesn't always suck. I loved him in GONY and *ducks* Romeo and Juliet
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Can't wait to see Leo as a young Howard Hughes in Martin Scorcesse's new movie "The Aviator". From what I've heard, Leo really comes into his own in this one!
BroadwayMonkey Profile PhotoBroadwayMonkey Profile Photo
BroadwayMonkey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is it okay if I state the obvious?

Hilary Duff, please.

Real men are tenors.
ForTheLoveOfLea
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I. HATE. HER.

*Throws rock at Guido* Romeo and Juliet??!! Oh, God, WHY?
Thou giveth fever.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is supposedly about being over-rated. Julia has always been accepted for what she brings to the screen - no one has ever compared her to Meryl Streep. Much like many other 'stars' she brings a realness and warmth to a project that very few others can project on film. Is she Cate Blanchett or Tilda Swinton? No. But I don't think anyone says she is - that shouldn't diminish the gifts she does have.
Guido Contini
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I really liked it, honestly. I thought it was a good take on a well known story. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Shakespeare in Love, but that's different. re: Most Over-Rated Film Actors Working Today
ForTheLoveOfLea
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Shakespeare doesn't work for me on screen at all, really. The stage craft ensures the actors' knowledge of the character.
Thou giveth fever.
LittleFish8386 Profile PhotoLittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
JOHNNY DEPP!!!!!
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Gwyneth Paltrow is desperately overrated. I finally watched Shakespeare in Love a couple of days ago and she looked lovely, acted alright, but didn't blow me away. Any time Judi Dench was on the screen, you could see what real great acting was.
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
D-Grant... I agree with you that Julia Roberts has never (and will never) be compared to the likes of Meryl Streep. But, with all due respect, I don't think that the "realness" and "warmth" that she brings to the screen is worth upwards of $20 million a picture. No where's near it! I guess that's what I'm basing my opinion on.
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Johnny Depp!?!?!? Oh that makes me so sad! I actually think he is a very talented actor. His character choices in Pirates were very strong and thoroughly entertaining. And he's hot too!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Curtain - The amount of money being paid actors these days has nothing to do with their craft - it has to do with their financial viability. As the recognized star that Ms. Roberts is world-wide, she more than justifies her paycheck - simply because she provides good return on investment.
Plum
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The hotness of Johnny Depp is highly overrated. Same with Orlando Bloom (who acts about as well as a wooden board). Depp is a good actor. I'm just not seeing the attraction.
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Johnny Depp??? IMO his performances are all uniformly excellent. He's demonstrated tremendous range in everything from "Gilbert Grape" to "Ed Wood" to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" to "Pirates of the Caribbean", etc. He's continually proven himself to be a highly versatile and accomplished actor. And from what I've heard, his performance as Peter Pan author J.M. Barrie in the upcoming "Finding Neverland" should garner him yet another Academy Award nomination.
Updated On: 9/20/04 at 08:33 PM
CurtainUp2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well D, I see your point. The amount of money someone gets paid is in direct relation and proportion to the amount of money they generate at the box office. And Julia Roberts has certainly generated mega-bucks! But I still think that she's highly over-rated as an actress. For instance, I didn't think her performance in "Erin Brockovitch" was even worthy of a nomination, let alone a "Best Actress" Academy Award. She just doesn't do it for me. I'm always aware that I'm watching Julia Roberts act.
Updated On: 9/20/04 at 08:44 PM
ponine24601
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
orlando bloom-he's not THAT hot!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon
sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photosweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
WHAT THE MONKEY!? DENZEL?!?!?!

NO WAY! He is appropriately rated! There are not enough good things to say about him! AH! Where is Heather when you need her!?
Updated On: 9/20/04 at 09:45 PM