Excellent non-partisan commentary on Iraq

FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Excellent non-partisan commentary on Iraq#0
Posted: 9/13/04 at 9:39pm
"Trying to eliminate Saddam… would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible. We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq.... there was no viable 'exit strategy' we could see, violating another of our principles. Furthermore, we had been self-consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression that we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land." -- George H.W. Bush in his memoirs, A World Transformed, published in 1998.

Why doesn't his son read? And if he supports his son today, does that make him, gasp horror, a flip-flopper?
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
bwaysinger Profile Photobwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh, Namo, there's one easy little word all these people whip out to defend their position. 9/11. They will forever argue that that event changed their perception of the world and will now forever justify any preemptive strike anywhere. Even if the CIA decides to descend upon all the early morning shoppers at Barney's on the day of their big clearance.
Clearly, terrorists can be found anywhere.
Updated On: 9/14/04 at 09:57 PM
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why did PapaLovesMangos Stop posting about politics? Is it because the drug addict in the White House is losing again?
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm fairly certain that papa is just recharging his batteries. I have faith that he'll be back to post the counterpoint.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
good find, namo, that's one reason why i didn't vote for poppy.

and, punkedjoey, enjoy your little respite while i deal with a few things that take priority over playing tit for tat with you. in the meantime, take care to watch the slow motion trainwreck that is dan rather's implosion over memo-gate. john roberts, your chair is opening up sooner than anyone thought. maybe dan can join al gore on the "formerly important people who now just sound like bitter losers mouthing conspiracy theories and junk science" lecture tour.

ever heard the phrase, "give 'em enough rope?" have ya got 11 turns on that knot yet?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
papa - your' respite' has been anything but enjoyable for those of us who depend on your input to keep the political scape balanced. Amazing how you are able to match all that fury with just your own voice.

Stop dawdling, and get back in the arena - and where IS that boy to peel me a grape?
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Give em enough rope" is that under-appreciated Clash album.

Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Best Kitty Kelley line from this morning, about all the Republican crybaby whining:

"There's a saying down south. If you throw a stone at a pack of dogs, the dog that barks is the one that got hit."
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The DNC challenge to the President:

ANSWER THE QUESTION. TELL THE TRUTH.

Fortunate Son Video
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the rnc challenge to john kerry:

sign a dod standard form 180 and release your records.

what are you hiding???

hey this can be fun!

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Kerry's hiding nothing. All his records are at the link below. It's just another right-wing canard that he hasn't released them. (Rove to Papa: "Keep telling them our lies and the public will begin to believe them.")

Bush is hiding:

1. Desertion

2. Cocaine abuse that would have emerged in a physical

3. Having used family connections to skip ahead of 150 people to get into the National Guard when his student deferment ran out
Kerry's military records
Updated On: 9/14/04 at 05:46 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
if those are all his records, punk'd, why is he still refusing to sign a standard form 180. it's a simple process.

or is he unable to even commit to anything long enough to sign his own name?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Why won't Bush sign the Form 180?

Bush refuses to sign the Form 180 because that would prove that he was AWOL from the National Guard and doing amounts of cocaine that only a rich man's son could afford, amounts of cocaine he would have tested positive for had he showed up for that physical.

Updated On: 9/14/04 at 10:25 PM
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i agree, i think they should both sign them and we could put this business behind us and the kerry campaign, oh sorry, i mean cbs, can get back to real news instead of wasting time with forgeries. oh and let's see how long that fortunate son ad airs now that both nbc and cbs have sued to have their footage pulled from it. man they really need to let that puppy air so that when dan goes down in flames he'll take what's left of kerry's campaign with him. eh, who am i kidding, it's already sunk and everybody knows it except the permanently delusional.

so how many people are planning to leave the country on nov. 2nd rather than have to listen to kerry's concession speech?

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
LMMFAO

You really think this race is over? Enjoy that feeling as long as you can. I can't wait to open my window and hear you howling when Kerry makes his acceptance speech.

And, fyi, no one has declared the memo to be a fake just yet.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
jrb - I KNOW you hate this knid of thing - but since you brought it up:

NEW YORK (AP) - Two experts hired by CBS News to examine records of President Bush's Vietnam-era service in the Texas Air National Guard told ABC on Tuesday that they could not vouch for the documents' veracity.

Meanwhile, a former secretary in the guard said she believed the documents CBS used were fake.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't hate that--I know there are many speculations over the memo. My point is--it hasn't been declared conclusively that it is a fake. Of course, there are people on both sides saying this and saying that.

And, if it is a fake, then so be it and CBS should be held partly responsible.

Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm ready for the conspiracy theory di giorno, put forth by Jack Cafferty (sorta) of all people, on CNN: That the document faker was really a Rove operative, who knew that falsified claims would backfire and put the focus on CBS, not GWB. Sure worked. In 24 hours, the Nat'l Guard issue is off the table, and it's Dan Rather Hate, 24/7. Brilliant.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
and the other part of responsibility will fall right where it needs to: the source of the memos (hint, it's a campaign whose candidate's name rhymes with fairy).

is it a coincidence that sasso shows up and a week or so later the memos pop up? or will the johnnies campaign continue to point the finger at moveon.org and the "amateurs" there?

speculations. that's a good word for it, jrb. adjust those blinders, kiddo, there's some sunshine getting in and that can't be good.

i like that angle, auggie. i can just hear the rovettes, "think they'd be dumb enough to run with these? and jeopardize the integrity of dan rather and cbs (cough, giggle, sputter)? how can we help them?"

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

Updated On: 9/15/04 at 08:46 AM
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Despite anything you think of me (and you have been so wrong before), I see very clearly. In fact, I was basing my stance on this matter from a discussion I saw on Fox--between O'Reilly and two conservative talk radio hosts. If THEY aren't ready to crucify Rather, then I don't see how any of us should be? If THEY assert that the memo is possibly real at this point, why should we be so quick to decide that it is indeed a fake? That's all I am saying.

And, papa, I know you thrive on thinking that Kerry is just a blunder waiting to happen, but I don't see that happening.

48 more days of thrills!
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
jrb, the fact that you still believe that it hasn't happened speaks volumes. ever hear of that superband from the 70's with eric clapton and stevie winwood? what was their name? oh yeah...blind faith.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
oh...ok...uh huh. you keep thinking that Bush has this one in the bag--I'll just laugh.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
well, they do say that grief affects different people in different ways.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
DGrant: What do YOU THINK:

1. Did Bush pull strings to get into the National Guard and avoid going to Vietnam?

2. Did Bush skip out on a physical that included a drug screening?

3. Did Bush pull strings to get an undeserved honorable discharge?

The answer to the questions can only be yes.

The bull about the documents maybe being "fakes" is typical Republican dirty tricks: CHANGE THE ISSUE FROM THE PRESIDENT'S NATIONAL GUARD SERVICE TO A TRUMPED-UP CHARGE OF "FORGERY."

I'll admit the Republicans are better at dirty tricks than the Democrats, but it's only because they have no morals and will do Anything, ANYTHING to win.
Updated On: 9/15/04 at 10:17 AM