The Purse Obsession - Do You Have One or Two or Three or More?

millie_dillmount Profile Photomillie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I see them everywhere: Louis Vuittons (maybe real ones), Coaches, Burberrys, Kate Spades and Dooney and Bourkes. Some are real, some are fake. Do you ladies have any? Me:

2 Fake Louis Vuittons (one brown with tan letters and one black with multicolored letters - which broke...have to superglue it)

1 Real Dooney and Bourke Signature Blue Bucket Bag

1 Fake Burberry Purse

I know, I get sick of seeing them too, but I do have a couple (I go for the fakes, lol).

Plus, various other purses that are not expensive brands (XOXO is one of my favorites)
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 8/29/04 at 10:57 AM
Glebb Profile PhotoGlebb Profile Photo
Glebb
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#1
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:02am
I don't have any of those things but I do have a real Jack Spade bag for men.
" ...the happiness in the tune convinces me that I'm not afraid."
judy_in_disguise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#2
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:35am
I have a fake LV, only it's made by a different company, so the LV is replaced by a C.
Canadians- gotta love Roots purses!
Kelliexo90 Profile PhotoKelliexo90 Profile Photo
Kelliexo90
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Purse Obsession#3
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:40am
Well, I don't actually have any but I have my sights set on a pink Dooney and Bourke or one of the new ones that (*gag*) Lindsay Lohan models in the ads. Or a pink Coach.

But my sister, oy, she is bad. She has a brand name obsession. Now, she's in college and very poor... but she spends $300 on a Gucci purse. *Rolls eyes* But I get to use it, so I don't really mind re: The Purse Obsession
What is Broadway? A street? Some say it's a street. Some say it is the best street in the world. Others think its terrible. That's the beauty of it, it's terribly beautiful. Some hate it and don't know why. Others love it and don't know why. That's what makes it so wonderful, it's a mystery.
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#4
Posted: 8/29/04 at 12:29pm
judy_in_disguise: Yeah, when I went to Canada, I saw few LV, Coaches, Burberrys, DBs (I did see a couple LVs and Burberrys, but they were probably American tourists). But I saw a lot of Roots and all I could think was, "What the heck is Roots?"
"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
judy_in_disguise
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#5
Posted: 8/29/04 at 1:00pm
haha Roots is THE Canadian outfitter.
Actually, they outfit our Olympic team.
sabrelady Profile Photosabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#6
Posted: 8/29/04 at 4:09pm
'Bout 20+ yrs ago Lionel Ritchie appeared on a People cover wearing a ROOTS jacket. BIG boost in sales. It "made" the comapany internationally. Then there was a similar thing w the berets. Basically they are a kinda upscale sportswear/lifestyle store. I believe they have a store in N.Y. too but they are kinda a Canadian brand/icon.
Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin Im going to have to science the shit outta this. The Martian
BroadwayDiva Profile PhotoBroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#7
Posted: 8/29/04 at 4:27pm
I have so many it's not even funny. I have 2 LV, 1 Coach, 1 Burberry, 1 Gucci, then a bunch from places like Kohls, WalMart, and places like that.
I have my books and my poetry to protect me...
marebare
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: The Purse Obsession#8
Posted: 8/29/04 at 4:32pm
I definitely have way too many. 1 fake Burberry and a fake LV (brown; the ones with the "P"s on them lol) plus about 7 others. The worst part is transferring all my crap from one to the other, so I have been sticking with the LV one this summer. I love it! (From NY of course)
etoile Profile Photoetoile Profile Photo
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#9
Posted: 8/30/04 at 1:36am
Since for the second time in as many weeks this subject has come up I think it's time to address the topic of the illegality of the copyright infringement and the long term ramification of purchasing these phony items. Gutting the market with these counterfeit faux designer or sports team products has become viewed by some as the "acceptable" crime. After all, it seems so victimless, doesn't it? In fact it's become so much more chic and profitable than drug dealing. Think about it. Get caught selling enough heroin to make $50,000 profit and you can land 12 to 20 years in a Federal prison. Make the same profit with faux Vuittons and you get 6 months and $5,000 fine. The consequences haven't caught up to the severity of the crime. No wonder they're popping up everywhere. And when these really authentic bags are placed in "front" stores it's such a legitimate seeming way to launder money.

So how bad can it be? Aside from the loss in profit to the designers themselves there's the loss of income/commision to their sales employees. How about the loss of tax from their income. Or the loss of state and local sales tax to the respective government.

But people will rationalize that they would never buy the real thing so to them the tax argument would not hold up. They don't care. These faux items can now be found in any major city in the USA, Europe, and Australia.

But what if you knew where the profits were going. In reality it's connected to an organized crime machine that most don't want to acknowledge. Not so much our local crime families anymore, but rather global organizations bent on the destruction of Western civilization. The profits from these bags are going into the coffers of Al Qaeda. Yes, it's true. Profits from counterfeit items are funding terrorist groups. And when you think about it, doesn't it make perfect sense? What better way to seek to fund the destruction of our culture than to utilize those traits in us that they abhor. They're using our fixation on status, our vanity, our greed and turning it all against us.

So now that you know, how can you rationalize it?

Whenever a deal seems too good to be true...it is.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#10
Posted: 8/30/04 at 2:59am
But I have quite a few other purses, also. A couple from Walmart, JCPenney, Kohl's, and Filene's (good selections).

My favorite non-designer purse is the XOXO kind. I also was eyeing this mini tote/purse in Aeropostale today. It had flowers on it and was reversible.
ShineOn Profile PhotoShineOn Profile Photo
ShineOn
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#11
Posted: 8/30/04 at 3:28am
I have a real Kate Spade and a real Coach...

Two fake Kate Spade's, one fake Coach, a fake Prada, and a LV.

I think Kate Spade's my fave... she makes very girly bags and I like pink and bows... what can I say? re: The Purse Obsession
"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin
The Grovers Corners Yenta
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#12
Posted: 8/30/04 at 3:38pm
Ok.I am here to confess. I dont own any designer bags. I buy a cheap bag at Walmart and use it until it falls apart. There, I admitted it. I have a real problem. Do you think there is a 12 step program for me? Or perhaps a fancy rehab center that is far from a Walmart that I can go for help? I am so ashamed of my self
"Friends are the people you chose as family."....Me.
millie_dillmount
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#13
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:13pm
No. re: The Purse Obsession
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#14
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:17pm
I have 2 real LV's and one fake LV
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...

Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#15
Posted: 8/30/04 at 5:27pm
I don't have any purses until I open my mouth and a big one falls out.

And I'm 100 percent with etoile on this. Buying knock-offs is not harmless bargain shopping.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
ForTheLoveOfLea Profile PhotoForTheLoveOfLea Profile Photo
ForTheLoveOfLea
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#16
Posted: 8/30/04 at 6:55pm
I am going to admit freely that I don't even own a purse. By the time I'm done buying shoes I don't have any money left over for a purse. Even if I do, I just buy a second pair of shoes. They are so addicting. . .
Thou giveth fever.
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#17
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:06pm
I don't get what's up with buying fake purses. I wouldn't own a fake.

Which explains why I don't have a Coach, LV, or Burberry bag. I'll wait for my real one.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#18
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:13pm
There's no point trying to make a case, E and Z... they clearly don't give a rat's ass about the bigger picture. My problems with this thread are multilayered, but I'm going to save my breath, so to speak. You guys already get it, and and the majority doesn't care.

Sad.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
shlamdiddly Profile Photoshlamdiddly Profile Photo
shlamdiddly
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: The Purse Obsession#19
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:30pm
I've bought a couple off of the streets in NYC...but none of them have fake labels...I have a ton of other pureses though. I love them!
You aren't feeling overwhelmed are you?
shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#20
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:36pm
I do have some fakes (though I feel bad for admitting it now after etolie's speech......) 2 LV's, 1 coach, 1 kate spade, 1 Gucci

1 real coach
1 real Burberry
1 real Sigred Olsen
about 1,000 other adorable purses from various places
Al Dente Profile PhotoAl Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#21
Posted: 8/30/04 at 7:59pm
The fact that only ONE poster after Ifliti digested the enormity of what Etoile just wrote, makes me VERY sad. It's an absolute fact what Etoile just stated. And it's not just on little street corners around the country, Check for websites on the internet exclusively devoted to stop all of the (literally) hundreds of Ebay sellers that sell fake designer bags, Vuitton, et al. You'll read all about it. Meanwhile, not only are the fakes embarrassing for the person wearing them, but, by the time you accrue 10 or so fake bags, you could have bought one REAL bag. It's the quick fix and the feeling of "getting away with something" that makes people who buy fskes, so stupid. If one of my models ever does that and I catch them, I make them throw the bag away in my office and berate them mercilessly.
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#22
Posted: 8/30/04 at 8:01pm
Bravo to Al Dente and etoile. Brava!
shesings Profile Photoshesings Profile Photo
shesings
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#23
Posted: 8/30/04 at 8:11pm
Just for the record I did digest Etoile's speech, and I do honestly feel bad. However I'm not going to rush to throw my fakes away. How will that make things any better? I agree I won't buy any more ... but throwing them out doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference.
I also doubt that Louis Vuitton is really suffering ... somehow I think the company is still doing just fine. Same with Gucci, Coach, Prada, etc. I doubt their execs are on the cusp of going broke!
And where does this AlQuada info come from? While I find it appalling if it is true ... where is the proof? Last I heard (from a website dedicated to eliminating fakes) they are primarily being made by former employees of the companies in question and primarily working in China and Japan. I don't see how that is benefitting terrorism at all.
CJR Profile PhotoCJR Profile Photo
CJR
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The Purse Obsession#24
Posted: 8/30/04 at 8:48pm
It's the quick fix and the feeling of "getting away with something"

Or it could be that some of the people with fakes can't afford a real one... I know that I personally, cannot afford a real LV -- I'm lucky that both of mine were gifts.
"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...