STAR WARS on DVD - and the "controversy"

Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
STAR WARS on DVD - and the "controversy"#0
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:55pm
Nope, we aren't talkin' Reagan here - we're talking what Eddie Varley and Kevin Smith would consider the Holy Trilogy. Seems as though the DVD set due in Sept will not be the original films, but the editions that played in theaters back in 1997...
Star Wars on DVD
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
Matt_G Profile PhotoMatt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Craig, this has been an ongoing battle between fans of the films and George Lucas for years now. He has said his original versions of the films are dead and that they are ever changing. He will not be releasing them for any reason and he won't even allow them to be shown anywhere. You can get them on DVD on eBay though, which a LOT of people are doing.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Is there really THAT big a difference between the originals and the 1997 versions?
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
They are pretty different - different enough. Matt_G I am "blessed" if you will in that I have the originals on Laserdisc and have since burned them on DVD since I don't have the laserdisc player hooked up anymore. It's a shame...
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Same here, Craig. I sold my laserdisc player a while ago, but not before burning what rare stuff I had onto DVD. The difference between what Lucas is putting out now and what he put out than is very substantial. He wants to completely redo Yoda and make him digital. Does this upset anyone else? A great website that has followed this whole mess from the beginning is www.digitalbits.com
It's the only DVD info website I visit and in my opinion is the best on the web. Defintaely check it out and search the archives.
"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It is as if George wants to upset us

***sob***
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Geroge doesn't see people. He sees $$$$$$
He could care less what you want.
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
He sees $$$ by paying more $$$ to rework them how he wants?

Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No Kidding George doesnt care

I was just lamenting, as are many
eyeonbroadway Profile Photoeyeonbroadway Profile Photo
eyeonbroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't understand why Lucas would want to "upgrade" the original movies. They represent moments in time and the evolution of special effects that still hold up quite well, considering all the advances that have been made. Other than 2001 Space Odyssey, which nobody understood at the time, Star Wars was revolutionary. I remember sitting in the movie theater when it came out and thinking, "Oh my God, how did they do this!"
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But you see, he doesn't like how they looked. Even though the original STAR WARS won an academy award for it's groundbreaking special effects, Lucas wants people to see them as if they were made today.
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
***smack*** George in the head
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes. But that doesn't mean he is doing it b/c, as you said "He sees $$$$$"

Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are you serious? Go and count how many different, updated versions of these films he's put out and than tell me he's not doing it for the money.
eyeonbroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
That's a shame. Especially if he isn't going to preserve the originals. I find the original Yoda to be much more believable than the digitized version so it isn't really progress. Guess it's Lucas' baby, and he can do what he wants, but it's still a shame.
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When STAR WARS is released on DVD it will sell millions of copies no matter what version it is that is released.

Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, but the Fans would like the ORIGINAL version for the DVD
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Granted. But it won't affect how much he makes from it.

Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well I'm not a die-hard, but what I find very disturbing about movies 1,2 and next year 3, is the technology displayed. It would appear the gadgets, vehicles, etc used in the "past" are far more advanced then those that were used in 4,5 and 6. I can only gather that between 3 and 4, the devestation during the clone wars was so vast that all technology was lost and the rebels were forced to make do with what they could salvage..

oh.. I also think the story telling in the new episodes are far inferior to the originals.. but that's another whole can of worms, isn't it?
Ruffian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The First Two are just....CLASSICS

As cute as the EWOKS are, the Let-Me-Sell-Toys was beginning there....

These latest....need HELP

eyeonbroadway
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I don't think I'm really a die-hard, either, and I didn't mind some of the "upgrades" to the originals when they came out...but they sure didn't add anything substantial, either. They are what they are and, heck, it was Lucas' idea to introduce them in the order that he did. Kind of late to try and make it look seamless now! I think, too, that there is a strong argument for preservation of the original for what it was. Not that I'd compare it to the Mona Lisa, but would anyone defend "updating" her clothes every 20 years?
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
at least spielberg put both versions on the dvd release of ET. Can anyone look at the new version and NOT laugh at FBI men threatining the kids with walkie-talkies?
secret-soul Profile Photosecret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I hate the newer versions. I hate that they totally changed the ending of Return of the Jedi (btw, I'm a closet StarWars FREAK) and there are just too many inclusions in the newer ones that interrupt the original flow. It's OK to re-release the movies if the QUALITY is better (digitizing it and all and making it clearer) but not if you're going to CHANGE things. Unfortunately, there are not ENOUGH fans who would buy a DVD of the older ones....at least not enough that George Lucas would relapse...I think his whole plan was to make you forget the original originals and market the new look so that the prequels would look more in-synch with the older ones...just a thought.
Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
When I was a kid the part where ET was all white and dying made me have nightmares for weeks. Does anyone else remember playing ET on Atari? You had to follow the reeses trail before the space ships got to you :P As for Star Wars, I like the old ones not the new series. He should have put out the originals on DVD re: STAR WARS on DVD - and the 'controversy'
Matt_G
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You need to understand that Spielberg came under ENORMOUS pressure to release the original theatrical cut of ET on DVD after he said he wasn't going to because he saw that it was irresponsible to have the guns in the first one. But by changing his mind and releasing the film we all grew up with, he effectively showed us that he does in fact care about his films and how they fit into history. By George Lucas destroying (and that's what he's doing here) the original STAR WARS films, he is erasing a part of history. The films will make a fortune this winter, there's no doubt about that. I'm sure the set will become the highest selling DVD of all time. And that's a shame. If these fans would just hold off for another two years and keep sales down, Lucas would find himself putting the first cuts out.

He is a filmmaker that is an enemy to film.