Bush's Popularity

M J R Profile PhotoM J R Profile Photo
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bush's Popularity#0
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:29pm
Being in NYC and an uber-democrat, where virtually everyone with whom I am in daily contact cannont stand him, I'm wondering what other people are picking up in other areas of the country. I'm horrified at the thought of his re-election and really wonder what his supporters are thinking...
"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#1
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:37pm
They are as convinced of their opinion as you are of yours, MJR. Kerry has strong support in the typical areas - northeast, and west coast. The 'heartland' and south are generally considered Bush territory. The upper midwest and the Great Lakes region are where most campaign activity will center, as they are the primary swing electoral states.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#2
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:38pm
I live in the center of Bush country.. less than an hour from his ranch. It is creepy around here. The Bush lovers get to speak out loud and clear around here, but you get HEAVILY bashed if yor speak out against him. I knwo first hand. I have said MANY times that I do NOT support him in ANY way and any time I do I get looks of disgust and VERY rude comments.
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#3
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:40pm
Yes - I agree with what you're saying DGrant -- I guess I'm wondering more specifically what their "selling points" are exactly for keeping him in office.
"High time we made a stand and shook up the views of the common man" - Tears for Fears
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#4
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:41pm
Broadwayguy2 - I escaped from Texas - there's hope for you also! Head EAST young man!
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#5
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:41pm
Read some of Papa's posts, MJR. He states as clearly as any why he still supports him. Primarily it boils down to agreeing with his ideological stances and his appearance of standing by them.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#6
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:42pm
I swear.. honest to GOD.. This is what I heard from someone who says that they are voting for Bush...

"Bush has not done a good job at all and Kerry might be able to do better, but I don't see why we should elect someone else right now."
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#7
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:42pm
Don't think I can bring myself to do THAT! lol
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#8
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:45pm
So DGrant - do you think it's a safe generalization to make that those who support Bush value mainly that he "means what he says and says what he means"?

Kelliexo90 Profile PhotoKelliexo90 Profile Photo
Kelliexo90
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Bush's Popularity#9
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:46pm
Yay for Nadar!!(sp?)

I don't like Bush, I don't like Kerry. Not that it matters, I'm not old enough to vote. But I really dislike both of them. Bush is just a douchebag. But at least he sticks to his opinions, and Kerry is just a dirty politician. On one station, he'll be saying he's all for one thing, then an hour later in a different interview he'll be saying he's against what he had just said he was for.
What is Broadway? A street? Some say it's a street. Some say it is the best street in the world. Others think its terrible. That's the beauty of it, it's terribly beautiful. Some hate it and don't know why. Others love it and don't know why. That's what makes it so wonderful, it's a mystery.
out_of_tune_thespian Profile Photoout_of_tune_thespian Profile Photo
out_of_tune_thespian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#10
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:48pm
broadwayguy are u from texas?
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#11
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:50pm
MJR - I think that has a lot to do with it - especially considering their success at painting Kerry out to be a 'waffler'. However, don't underestimate the fact that a LOT of people actually agree with his philosophical stances - especially concerning the 'war on terrorism' and the whole values thing (as exemplified by his stand on gay marriage.) It's only indicative of how split everything is now. It's hard to see sometimes, because most areas are polarized either one way or another. There's not a whole lot of mixing going on now - much less any dialogue.
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#12
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:56pm
thespian,
I was born and raised in the same rathole town in central texas that spawned jennifer Love Hewitt.
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#13
Posted: 7/31/04 at 4:58pm
It's interesting. Thanks.

I certainly don't feel like debating gay marriage, but I will say this: Can you imagine walking out to your local park this afternoon, and still drinking from separate "White" and "Colored" drinking fountains? Hopefully, you can't. Hopefully, that thought disgusts every fiber of your being.

Just as the previous generation saw civil rights make huge strides toward minorities and women, I believe that in my lifetime we will live in a country that will allow gay and lesbian people to enjoy equal protection and rights under the laws of the country we all share.
out_of_tune_thespian Profile Photoout_of_tune_thespian Profile Photo
out_of_tune_thespian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#14
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:00pm
oh wow, haha. well i come from another small town called...well here's a hint: Kermit the frog. Ha, let's see if u can figure it out from there
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#15
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:04pm
"Just as the previous generation saw civil rights make huge strides toward minorities and women,"

Yes, now these huge strides make them look like they're disabled and need 'help'.

I'm sure that the Democrats meant well, but that is one issue that really disgusts me, how twisted and out of hand, and politically correct it's gotten.

iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#16
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:05pm
"But at least he sticks to his opinions, and Kerry is just a dirty politician. On one station, he'll be saying he's all for one thing, then an hour later in a different interview he'll be saying he's against what he had just said he was for."

Like what? Can we have a 'for instance' here, please?

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#17
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:07pm
Yeah, well that's why I chose the word "strides" - we certainly are not there yet. It is a severly flawed country in which we live. Would I ever want to be anywhere else? Hell no. But we still have so much further to go in acheiving "ONE NATION UNDER GOD WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL"...
Updated On: 7/31/04 at 05:07 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#18
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:07pm
Guenevere - I believe the 'huge strides' that MJR is refering to are little things like equal employment status for women and civil rights for blacks. I don't see how that could be argued to be leading either group into a dependent state.
Updated On: 7/31/04 at 05:07 PM
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#19
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:09pm
"Yeah, that why I chose the word "strides" - we certainly are not there yet. It is a severly flawed country in which we live."

See, I think that we need to take a few steps back.

When colleges start awarding more points for race than the SATs, there's really something wrong. (and yes, I am a minority. I'm actually insulted by the way that the Dems talk about the issue.)
Updated On: 7/31/04 at 05:09 PM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#20
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:14pm
Guenevere - I'm not a fan of affirmative action, myself. However, it makes no sense to hold everyone to the same standard when not everyone is given the same educational opportunities. I agree that changing criteria is not the answer - but I do feel much more work could be done to level the playing field as far as public education is concerned - and Bush's answer of simply decreeing that 'no child get left behind' shows an almost willful ignorance of the science, art or reality of education.
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#21
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:16pm
I agree with you. I think the best person for a position should get the position. No matter what it is specifically. However, in something like the question of college admissions, I think you have to consider what opportunities each individual had AVAILABLE to them to do the best they could, and take it from there. For example, I think I'd be much more impressed with a minority kid from 'inner city' usa that scored an 1150 on the SAT than I would be by "Richie Rich" from PrivateSchoolCountryClub, USA who got a 1250.

It's all case by case...
LadyGuenevere
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#22
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:19pm
"same educational opportunities"

Race has nothing to do with educational opportunities.

So, lets get my transcript (middle class multiracial- considered in majority because father is white) with the transcript of a (upper class, wealthy family, known private school, hispanic).

So wouldn't that put the rich Hispanic above me? Does it really make sense?

Although minorities are in great number in poor neighborhoods and schools, from experience I know that there are also white people- and how would THEY fare?

Affirmative action doesn't WORK, it just creates visual diversity in the school and worksplace. And visual diversity isn't what should be sought- but intellectual diversity. Whatever race it will be.
Updated On: 7/31/04 at 05:19 PM
M J R
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#23
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:24pm
I feel like 99.9% of this country has the opportunity to go to high school and graduate. That opportunity is there for you virtually no matter what your situation might be - IF you want it badly enough. From there, EVERYONE can get student loans and grants to attend college. It may take you a long time, but you can finish it.

It comes down to how I think I've summed up a lot of threads on here - DISCIPLINE, NOT DESIRE, DETERMINES DESTINY. It's the motto by which I live my life and I think it holds true for us all.
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Bush's Popularity#24
Posted: 7/31/04 at 5:24pm
Guenevere - to repeat myself, I am not a fan of affirmative action. And nowhere in my post did I imply that evening educational opportunities out had anything to do with race. I felt it obvious that the dividing line was class structure - but if that's not the case, I'll make it clearer. I believe that public education provided to the public using tax money should be spread evenly across the board, not proportioned out by community wealth.

Page: 1