SAT are the devil incarnate

BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
SAT are the devil incarnate#0
Posted: 6/17/04 at 5:00pm
Is anyone else having difficulty with the SAT?

My second try and I got 1080. And in a perfect world, I can apply to NYU Early Decision with at least a 1200. Why do colleges have to base their admission decision so much on the SAT? Some people just suck at standardized testing. It's intimidating.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#1
Posted: 6/17/04 at 5:05pm
Yeah. I remember I got a 1040, but 640 alone was the math portion, which I didn't even finish, but I really didn't care. I was going to be a Music Ed major at the time, so the schools I wanted to attend didn't really pay much attention to SAT scores.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#2
Posted: 6/17/04 at 5:33pm

The SATs can be kind of hit or miss for people, I think my cousin and I are on about the same level grade wise in school and when he took the SATs he got a 1020 and I got a 1300.
say what?
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#3
Posted: 6/17/04 at 5:45pm
I was one of those kids who was set on studying art in college, so my admissions was squarely based on my portfolio. Therefore I never took a Kaplan like SAT class, or opened an SAT practice test, yet still scored a 1340. Dunno how, but those must of been some good guesses in math.
"SUNY Binghamton, yes. I'm sure getting a degree from SUNY Binghamton is very useful. Normally to get a degree with that kind of credibility you'd have to study in Guatemala or Haiti."
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#4
Posted: 6/17/04 at 6:55pm
The SAT is the devil... and it's probably what cost me my first choice school. Not to upset you, but your SAT score is MUCH more important than any colleges ever make it out to be. They really downplay it. But on the other hand, they do - especially depending on what you're going for - look at other things, sometimes just as much. As I'm finally done with the college admissions process, just remember this (coming from someone who had a terribly broken heart back in December): everything really does work out for the best... even if you don't get in. I never used to believe it, but now that it's over, I definitely do. Best of luck!!
A work of art is an invitation to love.
PJ Profile PhotoPJ Profile Photo
PJ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#5
Posted: 6/17/04 at 7:07pm
I took the SAT June 5th. I'm waiting to get my results back, however I've found out that I can see my scores tomorrow on college board's website.

I'm hoping I got at least a 1000. I do quite poorly on standardized tests, so I wasn't shooting for the stars with this one. Especially after I only got a 960 on my PSAT. However, I did get a practice test book at a bookstore, which aided me in my poor math skills.

But yeah, they are the devil. Especially since they can keep you out of your dream college. Mine being NYU's Tisch School of Arts or Fordham.
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#6
Posted: 6/17/04 at 7:11pm
PJ, I just responded to your PM.
bythesword84 Profile Photobythesword84 Profile Photo
bythesword84
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#7
Posted: 6/17/04 at 7:45pm
I had a 98 average in my HS (overall for the 4 years) and my SATs were only 1190 and NYU didn't take me. I was really, really, angry about it when they told me if Id have a 1200 Id have been considered. Especially since a friend of mine with an 1100 and a 89 average got in, but don't get me started on THAT topic.
And hang on, when did you win the discus?
PJ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#8
Posted: 6/17/04 at 7:49pm
89 Average?!

This gives me even more hope for getting into NYU.
nystateomind04 Profile Photonystateomind04 Profile Photo
nystateomind04
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#9
Posted: 6/17/04 at 7:55pm
all standardized tests are from hell. i did well on verbal... uh... not so hot on math (you dont need to know my exact score or anything re: SAT are the devil incarnate)
FlinnGillan Profile PhotoFlinnGillan Profile Photo
FlinnGillan
Swing
Swing
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#10
Posted: 6/17/04 at 8:25pm
you can find out your scores from the test in early june. I got a 1180. 660 of which came from Verbal. Now to boost Math some.
SMichaelK Profile PhotoSMichaelK Profile Photo
SMichaelK
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#11
Posted: 6/17/04 at 8:58pm
The worst thing that I can remember is that unlike the ACT you get penalized for guessing... Just remember there are a lot of absurdly smart people who are worthless as employable human beings. You'll be ok.
You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theater since Andrew Lloyd Webber... and you I just don't like you.
guttertanzer Profile Photoguttertanzer Profile Photo
guttertanzer
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#12
Posted: 6/17/04 at 9:01pm
I got 980s on both my PSATs so I took the Kaplan course and on the real one I got 1180. I improved so I would recomend checking that out if you are willing to spend a fair sum on a course.
"May the Schwartz be with you!" - Yogurt
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#13
Posted: 6/17/04 at 9:19pm
Yeah guys, take a review course. They're worth the money. Most of the time your SAT score will be higher than your PSAT score simply by default, but review courses usually help, too. Also, most people get higher scores when they take the SAT for the second time... I didn't, but I'm a weirdo.
Updated On: 6/17/04 at 09:19 PM
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#14
Posted: 6/17/04 at 9:43pm
I'm also waiting for my scores tomorrow, it's my first time taking them. I got a 1370 on my PSATs but my grades suck so I'm screwed either way.
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#15
Posted: 6/17/04 at 9:54pm
aw, good luck y'all! I remember that day... I was terrified.
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#16
Posted: 6/17/04 at 10:04pm
They just posted the scores online....good luck everyone!
PJ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#17
Posted: 6/17/04 at 10:06pm
Ehhh, I didn't do as well as I had hoped on mine. I just checked my scores online. Damnit to hell!
~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#18
Posted: 6/17/04 at 10:27pm
(Mattio98, don't worry. You sound like me.
My grades weren't thrilling, but my scores were good.
And I ended up exactly where I wanted to be.)

Break legs, everyone!
I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!
Mattio98
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: SAT are the devil incarnate#19
Posted: 6/17/04 at 10:33pm
Where did you end up?
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The SAT is the devil incarnate#20
Posted: 6/17/04 at 10:52pm
Does anyone else find it a little sad that there is a typo in the title of this thread?
I mean, of all threads...

Check your PM box, Mattio98.

BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
The SAT is the devil incarnate#21
Posted: 6/17/04 at 11:11pm
I'm sorry FloweryFriend about the typo! But what do you expect from a "580 Verbal"? LOL.

PJ: My dream schools are NYU Tisch Dramatic Writing and Fordham as well. Fordham requires 3 religion classes though, so I'm kinda hesitant about that school now.

NYU Tisch Dramatic Writing is more concerned about the SAT score than your actual portfolio. It doesn't make sense, but it's terribly true.

A note to everyone: The ACT is not easier than the SAT. I just took them with that illusion in mind. English and Reading were great, but when it comes to Math and Science. The term "Time Management" realllllly comes into effect. Study for the ACT.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The SAT is the devil incarnate#22
Posted: 6/17/04 at 11:19pm
The deal with the ACT is that it sort of depends on where you're from. How well you do on it is often dependent upon the curriculum of your state, or region, as is whether you find it easier or harder than the SAT. For some people it's easier because it covers more topics and different topics than the SAT... so if, for example, you aren't that great at math, taking the ACT might be a good option because you also get tested on science and social studies. The English part is also different from the SAT. I'm pretty sure that the ACT tests grammar and writing skills, sort of the way that the SAT II does now, and how the new SAT is going to in 2005. I went into the ACT almost blindly, because I didn't realize that you DO need to prepare for it. It's not so much that you need to study, it's that you need to understand the test. You need to understand what you're being tested on and HOW you're being tested on it. That's half the battle with any of these tests though. Anyway, I took the ACT and when I converted my score it was EXACTLY equal to my SAT score. Go figure. I'd recommend taking both, though. It can't hurt. A lot of schools now are also asking for the SAT and EITHER the ACT or (usually three) SAT II's. Oy, I can't believe the way I can rattle off this college crap. I'm so glad I'm done dealing with that.
~FloweryFriend~
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The SAT is the devil incarnate#23
Posted: 6/17/04 at 11:22pm
I go to a Catholic school.
It requires 2 religion classes.
I was DREADING THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE.
But then I took them.
Oh my goodness.
Fascinating stuff.
It was like having The Da Vinci Code in class form.
I liked them so much, that I'm now picking up a Religious Studies major just for the fun of it.

(Just thought a personal anecdote might help you with your decision. Good luck!)
PJ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The SAT is the devil incarnate#24
Posted: 6/17/04 at 11:42pm
I'm not Catholic, so Fordham may not be the ideal choice for myself. But, I hear they have a very good theatre curriculm.
My top 3 schools are NYU, Carnegie Mellon, and Fordham. All for theatre directing, too.

But, as luvtheEmcee knows, I did horrible on my SAT's recently, so I may have to come to terms with what colleges I actually have a chance of getting in to. But I'm still staying with NYU as my first choice.

I took the ACT. I scored "Average" on it, or so my score sheet read. I thought it was actually harder than the SAT.