Page: 1

Jobs associated with Broadway

chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jobs associated with Broadway#0
Posted: 5/1/04 at 3:30pm
What job options are there in the business? Besides acting what are some other interesting, fun, and well paid jobs on broadway? I have been researching and couldn't really find a good site, so hopefully you guys can help.
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Jobs associated with Broadway#1
Posted: 5/1/04 at 3:34pm
Man there are so many jobs involved with putting on Broadway shows its ridiculous. I mean theres lighting, directing, costume/set design, producing, music engineering....the list goes on and on and on and on.... You cant have a really awesome show without them.
You've gotta have heart AND music
chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Jobs associated with Broadway#2
Posted: 5/1/04 at 3:40pm
Lighting/set design has always been my dream, but i meant jobs that arent in the designing part of the show. Jobs that KEEP the show running on a daily basis, if that makes any sense.
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ushers
House Managers
Ticket-Takers
Box Office Sales people
Stage Door People
Souviere/Candy Sales People
PR reps
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've held all the front of house positions and the only ones that pay well in my experience are house manager and box office.

BTW-when I say that they pay well, this is only in comparison with the other jobs. A single person could not support himself in NY on one of those jobs alone. It would have to be their second job.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 5/1/04 at 04:46 PM
citylights
Stand-by
Stand-by
I took a tour of the Wang Center in Boston for a school project a couple years ago...I was astounded at how many different administrative areas were there to keep the place running! One person I met there was someone I recognized from being in shows, and he worked there for his other job.
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've been a house manager, box office person, and now I tend bar... why you may ask?

Triple the money, less hours, and I spend a LOT more time with the cast.

But even so, they are all part time gigs. You could never make it on that alone.
Hamlet's father.
Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile PhotoZola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wait, you really didn't ask about well paid jobs in the theater, did you?

Okay.

The silence is deafening. That's your answer.
Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.
mebice Profile Photomebice Profile Photo
mebice
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Could you support youself if you were a stage manager or asm?
"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo
mebice Profile Photomebice Profile Photo
mebice
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Okay? nobody knows? re: re: re: re: re: re: Jobs associated with Broadway
"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
an sm or asm is an equity job on broadway or off broadway and there are minimum weekly salaries associated with both jobs and you could easily survive on either salary. if you get a show that lasts. or if you get a good rep as a "sub" which means that you can quickly learn shows and step in when somone needs time off.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ckeaton, did you work all those jobs on broadway? off? I feel the way you do-I actually prefer concessions to house managing, although I did make a ton more money house managing.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES