Page: 1

Plastic Surgery TV shows....

TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Plastic Surgery TV shows....#0
Posted: 4/8/04 at 11:38am
What are everyone's thoughts on this trend of plastic surgery as entertainment?

The Swan
I Want a Famous Face
Extreme Makeover

Truthfully, I find it quite ammusing to watch these shows. It's neat to see how these people completely change their looks and seem to gain self esteem by doing so; but I kind of feel that the media is making plastic surgery seem like something so simple and easily accessable.
I don't think there is anyting wrong with wanting to medically alter you appearence, but these shows tend to focus so much on the good results, while there are a lot of people who end up with poor results.

On "I Want A Famous Face" (the Britney Spears one), they did show a segment of a gil who talked about how she had gotten breast implants because she wanted to look like Julia Roberts in Erin Brocavich. Well her body had a bad reaction to the implants and it caused her to have Rumatoid (sp?) Arthritus at 21 years old. At least that show did put it out there, that plastic surgery is not always safe.
It won't stop me from wanting to get a face lift in 20+ years; but it did stop me from some other things I was considering.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Plastic Surgery TV shows....#1
Posted: 4/8/04 at 12:36pm
I have never watched one of these sjows. I don't particularly care for "reality" tv shows. I do wonder though what the message is that they are sending to people. Plastic surgery is fine to correct a flaw, to take a few years off the face or to just change something you want to chnage. However, when you look at the plastic surgey addicts like MJ, Joan, Cher and MTM, it's a bit scarey that these shows may be portraying surgery as a simple emans by which to change your life and make yourself happy. It could ersult in people rushing into surgery without doing the proper research and ensuring that the doctor they go to is properly licensed and certified.

I know a woman who had her hair stylist, who claimed to be "certified", inject collogen into her lips and tattoo make up onto her face. She looks like a blowfish that's been made up by Ronald McDonald....or Melanie Griffith....no diff.

There was also a recent incident of a couple here in Boston who were performing che4ap cosmetic surgery in a make shift surgical room in the basement of their home. They had no licenses or certifications in this country. They claim to have been trained in Viet Nam or Korea, wherever they had originally come from.

People with little money and a lot of desire to look better may be more inclined to go to people like this if there are shows making surgery look quick and easy.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
Amneris Profile PhotoAmneris Profile Photo
Amneris
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Plastic Surgery TV shows....#2
Posted: 4/8/04 at 11:35pm
i think EXTREME MAKEOVER is acceptable...but shows like THE SWAN and I WANT A FAMOUS FACE are sickening... it's taking people with no self confidence and making them look and feel even worse. How would you like to go through months and months of pain and exercise and then not make it to the big finish? And how could MTV allow teens and young adults to get plastic surgery (breast implants being #1) and make it like a cool thing?? Everyone who was on the show so far looked worse then when they started. I think it's awful.
Phantom2 Profile PhotoPhantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Plastic Surgery TV shows....#3
Posted: 4/9/04 at 12:46am
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
orion59 Profile Photoorion59 Profile Photo
orion59
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
After having read this thread, I became curious and watched the encore presntation of the premiere of The Swan last night. I thought it was a horrible little show that is doing a huge disservice to these women.

One of them seems to be having marital problems. A husband who is not supportive of her in this project and doesn't seem to care much about her. The other woman is an emotional wreck who cries at the drop of a hat, has always thought herself to be ugly and seems on the verge of a breakdown.

These are the people that legitimate surgeons are supoosed to weed out. These are the people who are supposed to be referred to therapists before they decide on surgery. It makes me wonder what happens at the end when the woman with the uncarring husband finds that her new looks revive her marriage only temporarily while he feels he is with a new, beautiful woman. Whatever problems exist in their marriage will not go away because she is better looking. If the husband loved her enough and wanted to be supportive, he would be regardless of her looks.

The "experts" not in so many words, said that the second woman was emotionally unstable. Again, the new good looks will go only so far before her Life long low self esteem over the rest of her being resurfaces. She is the prime candidate for cosmetic surgery addiction. The person who keeps going in for more in order to get that temporary high and temporary feeling that everything is better when you're prettier.

Each of these women where thrilled with their collegen injected lips, enhanced cheekbones and liposuctioned bodies but, what happens when they return to their old lifestyles? Without major lifestyle changes and emotional support, they will likely regain the weight, find it time consuming and diffcult to keep up the new looks without the professional, high priced hairstylists and make up artist and will eventually be as depressed, if not more so, as they were prior to the show.

I've always thought a bit of surgery to make yourself look a little better or a few years younger is fine to a point but, it doesn't change your entire life. It can't make your marriage better, your personality more appealing or permenantly raise self esteem. You need to like yourself as you are even though you may want to make minor chnages.
http://www.danperezgallery.com
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I've always thought a bit of surgery to make yourself look a little better or a few years younger is fine to a point but, it doesn't change your entire life. It can't make your marriage better, your personality more appealing or permenantly raise self esteem. You need to like yourself as you are even though you may want to make minor chnages."

I could not have said it better myself. BRAVO!
"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I watched 'The Swan'...
I found it to be more disturbing than the Michael Jackson 'Dateline'.

Orion said it best. You cannot expect wholesale changes based on a resculpted face. Some aspects of the show such as therapy and gym work (which were presented as mere shadows of the surgery) are very positive things for these ladies.

I felt awful for the first show's winner... (who was rejected by her father and husband) She had to stand there alone, albeit the winner, while the other woman (the emotional train wreck) was bathed in love from her family and boyfriend. I'm suprised that FOX didn't cut over to her in a sobbing mess.

Now my wife wants her inner thighs "sculpted" to get one of those little spaces between the thighs that she hasn't had since leaving figure skating. $$$ D@MN YOU FOX!!!!
Hamlet's father.
Princess MimiChica Profile PhotoPrincess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
you know what, i've only seen I Want A Famous Face and I think that show does a VERY good job of making the point that plastic surgery ISN'T just an easy quick thing to make yourself feel better, but it has very real consequences. These people save for YEARS to get the surgery they want. The show usually has a person on who already had surgery and mad major medical problems, but, the kids go through with it anyway. I think it's stupid for young girls to get breast implants, but, since they're going to do it anyway, why not put it on tv and be on a show that shows the good AND bad side of it?

There was an episode the other day of a YOUNG girl who wanted to look like Pamela Anderson because she wanted to be a Playmate. Personally, it wasn't the surgery that made me sick, but it was the fact that this girls ONLY goal in life was to be a Centerfold. That to me is pathetic, and I couldn't believe her mom supported her all the way. I thought she looked ridiculous after her surgery, but, at least ir provides a balance of the pros and cons.
Phantom2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
My mother always taught me that money or looks cannot buy happiness or friendship. So true, so true... I guess some people need to learn this lesson the hard way. Sad.

Updated On: 4/9/04 at 12:11 PM
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is my theory: In the end, you're going to like (or dislike) me for how I think and how I act, not how I look. And if you *do* make how I look your main criteria, who cares whether you like me or not anyway, because you're probably a shallow asshole.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Updated On: 4/9/04 at 12:26 PM
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
reality#10
Posted: 4/9/04 at 12:40pm
i am still waiting with rapt attention for "american executions."
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reality#11
Posted: 4/9/04 at 12:50pm
By Heather Havrilesky FROM SALON.COM

April 8, 2004 | Voice-over: In the most unique competition ever, a group of ordinary women ...

Ugly duckling No. 1 (crying): I never thought in a million years!

VO: ... hand over their lives to a team of cosmetic and plastic surgeons.

Plastic surgeon: You have to be a little bit more dramatic to her face.

VO: They will be put through a brutal three-month makeover.

Expert: This process isn't that easy!

VO: All for the chance to become beauty queens!

Plastic surgeon: The liposuction gave her a killer body.

VO: Each week, two contestants will be transformed ...

Ugly duckling No. 2: I was just an easy target for kids to pick on.

VO: But only one will be judged beautiful enough to move on to the pageant.

Ugly duckling No. 3: I am going to be a new person!

Ugly duckling No. 4 (with bandage on her nose from nose job, obviously in pain): I just don't know how much more of this I can take ...

VO: The Swan transformation requires discipline ...

Expert: From this moment on, you gotta eat properly ...

Expert: You have to think military.

Expert: 24-7 commitment.

VO: Sacrifice.

Expert: I would hate to see all the work you've done, and then butter makes you lose the pageant.

VO: And pain.

Ugly duckling No. 5: I feel worse than I expected, and I need to lay down before I punch somebody in the face.

VO: They will be constantly evaluated.

Expert: She could go into an emotional tailspin!

Ugly duckling No. 6: I've got to get out of here, I don't know what I'm doing!

VO: And they will do all this without ever seeing their reflection ...

Ugly duckling No. 7: Oh my gosh, no mirrors!

VO: Until the final reveal ...

Ugly duckling No. 8 (crying): I'm so beautiful-hul-hul!

VO: All in the quest to be crowned ... The Swan!

Chances are, like the contestants on "The Swan," you've had to work really hard to make it here. Just to read a transcript of what will surely go down as one of the most disturbing two minutes in television history, you've had to steel yourself and coax yourself into reading on. If you had a big breakfast, you're not reading this anymore. And those are just words on a page. You haven't even seen the close-ups of flabby stomachs and women wrapped up in bandages, doubled over in pain.

The excuse that executives like the unhinged demons at Fox use to justify deeply unnerving programs like this one is that they are "just giving the people what they want." I just want to know, in which mall did market researchers locate the ill humans that demanded to see a show about "average looking women" who get thousands of dollars of painful plastic surgery, then compete with each other in a beauty contest? What corner of this country -- which you're tempted to think of as a sad, sick country, after that two minutes of programming -- was crying out for a show about unattractive, insecure women who believe that reimagineering their bodies will bring them happiness? Gee, could this be a show that was born in the heart of Los Angeles?

But of course. Naturally, executives who live in Los Angeles dreamt up this disturbing pile of excrement, and, crazier still, they produced it, and, strangest of all, it aired on your television last night. I hope your teenage daughter was watching!

Thanks, overpaid monsters, for cursing us with your most debased notions, concepts that your average American would be deeply ashamed to mumble to his dog. Yes, their names are flashing across the screen right now. Kent Weed. Arthur Smith. Nely Galan. Heroes!

Now here's -- who else? -- Amanda Byram from "Paradise Hotel." I'd love to tell you more about what she has to say, but honestly, I can't watch this. I watch trashy TV every single day, but this show is making me queasy.

"Our goal is to transform average women into confident beauties," says one of the plastic surgeons.

It's three minutes into "The Swan," and I hate every person remotely associated with this show, and so should you. The only way to express that hatred, and to send a message to Fox that evil will not triumph over good, is to refuse to watch this show, and to refuse to discuss it without shutting down the conversation entirely, as in, "Only someone with no soul could endure more than (generously) five minutes of that show."

Who wants to be holier than thou about television? Who cares, right? Well, "The Swan" has the distinction of being so upsetting, such a reflection of all that's rotten in this town (not in the entire country -- don't be tempted to think the way the demons do -- they're merely justifying their own pathological missteps), that it can make any person -- man, woman, child, teenage girl -- depressed. The funny thing is, it doesn't just make you depressed about plastic surgery and sad women and sleazy TV executives. It also makes you depressed about the war in Iraq, the frailty of the human ego, the undeniable soul-sucking lameness of our culture, and the impossibility for real beauty at a time when such confused animals roam the earth. "The Swan" is bad for you. It's bad for me. "The Swan" is bad. Openly reject those who discuss this show. Go ahead. Ostracize them. Limit their freedom of speech. Let the FCC roll its cannons onto this battlefield. Why do bare tits outrage us more than this tragedy in motion?

You could feed an infant grape Kool-Aid and he might reject the breast. Does that mean you should keep feeding him grape Kool-Aid until he crumbles in a diabetic heap? The force of evil that brought this bad, bad show into the world should take responsibility for itself and refuse to spread this level of cultural pollution.

Anyway, there. That's 1,014 words. That's 200 more words than I needed, and I still have 57 more minutes of "The Swan" to watch. I'm deleting it from my TiVo instead. I can only hope that my three minutes was enough to prevent you from drinking the Kool-Aid. I'd drink it myself to demonstrate its ill effects, but I don't hate myself nearly enough for that. Too bad so many Fox executives do.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: reality#12
Posted: 4/9/04 at 12:51pm
Maybe it could be interactive...the audience calls in and votes for who gets the juice.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: reality#13
Posted: 4/9/04 at 1:23pm
I have a bit of a different opinion. Before these reality shows on cosmetic surgery started airing, people who were unhappy with something about their looks went and had something done about it and it was their business. They were willing to pay for it, and there are competent surgeons to do it, then fine. I had something done and my sister had something else done. We were delighted with the results and would do it again in a heartbeat. No, it didn't change one iota the way other people thought of us, but it sure did go a long way towards ourselves feeling happy.

I totally understand why someone desiring a sex change must go through psychiatric tests, living as the opposite sex for a year, etc. This is gender reassignment and is much more serious than having a nose or boob job.

I haven't watched all these reality shows, but have seen a few of extreme makeover. It shows all aspects of the procedure-the excruciating pain one feels after surgery, the slow recuperation, and the results. Viewers can decide if that's for them.

Hey, haven't we all seen what can happen with too much surgery? Michael Jackson, Joan Rivers, Jocelyn Wildenstein. Let people be their own judges.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: reality#14
Posted: 4/9/04 at 2:05pm
I'm not condemning plastic surgery...even elective plastic surgery. I just think that people have it for the wrong reasons a lot of times. If you are happy with who you are as a person and having a smaller nose would also make you happy...no problem. I think difficulties start when someone decides that a smaller nose (or whatever) will change what is wrong in their life.

It can be very complicated, and that's all I'm saying.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: reality#15
Posted: 4/9/04 at 2:25pm
I guess so. Some people may not see the change in their lives they had hoped for, but guess what-many do! Maybe it's hard to believe, but one's self esteem has a lot to do with whether or not they succeed in life. Many people are shy and introverted because of their appearance (whether others think so or not) and once they feel they are more attractive, their self esteem soars, which in turn gives them a more positive outlook towards life. This is the best case scenario.

Not so good case scenario-someone has surgery but nothing changes in their life. At least they look better, lol.

WORST case scenario-heaven forbid, something goes wrong with the surgery and they turn out freakish. This can happen, but it can also happen with lifesaving surgery. Every surgery has its risk. (btw, what I had done didn't require anesthesia, so I felt the risk was very low.)

This is a controversial topic and we're all going to have our opinions, iflit, don't feel you have to defend yourself, I respect everyone's opinion!
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: reality#16
Posted: 4/9/04 at 3:20pm
I don't think I'm being clear, Jane...I don't have a problem, per se, with elective plastic surgery. I've had friends who had nose jobs, breast enhancements, breast reductions, liposuction and a face-lift (different friends, not all the same person, lol). And for the most part, each is happy with what was done. Would I have done any of it? Probably not, but that's just me.

In the old days, when I used to do staff nursing on a surgical floor, I took care of lots of people who had some pretty extensive plastic surgery for what I perceived to be unrealistic reasons.... patching up a troubled marriage (trust me, bigger boobs aren't the answer...), looking younger (one too many face lifts can make you look embalmed....) in someone who had some pretty unhealthy issues with aging...

There's nothing wrong with wanting to look good. Hell, even I--earth mother that I am, have not gone gently into the land of graying hair. I maintain hair color of my younger years (auburn, if anyone cares) because it makes me feel good about myself. And it sounds like whatever procedure you had done, did the same thing for you. Realistic tweaking.
Updated On: 4/9/04 at 03:20 PM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: reality#17
Posted: 4/9/04 at 5:07pm
Oh, I totally understand, hon! I just thought that you may have thought I posted specifically in disagreement with you, and it wasn't so. I was just saying my opinion seemed different from the general consensus on this thread which was going against the cosmetic reality shows, and in some cases, against having plastic surgery in general!
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: reality#18
Posted: 4/9/04 at 8:12pm
I think the main thing is that if you are going to change your appearance (be it something simple like dying your hair...or something major like a sex change), you need to do it for yourself. Not because you THINK it will save your marriage, or help you get a job you want. If you look in a mirror and see something you don't like, and you really want a change, then by all means do it.
There is usually at least one thing you don't like about yourself. For me, personally, it's my teeth. They are very white and pretty straight; but I have an open bight and therefore my teeth do not close when I put the top and bottom together. I want to fix that. Now, my friends and family don't give a damn what my teeth look like. People are not going to like me more or less if I change my mouth...but it will make me happier when I look in a mirror.
I just think it's very sad when people get these things done because they want OTHERS to like them more.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: reality#19
Posted: 4/9/04 at 8:33pm
That's a perfect example, TB...nothing wrong with wanting your teeth to be different. It would only be weird if you had expectations that doing it would dramatically improve all aspects of your life.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just remembered another situation appropos to this thread. My cousin had very large breasts (this was before it was the trend, lol) and is a very petite girl. Her chest was completely out of proportion. She could not be as athletic as she wanted to be, as running and moving around in certain positions was painful. It was also difficult to buy clothing when her top size was at least four sizes larger than the bottom. There were other problems too, which indeed prevent her from enjoying her life to the fullest. She had breast reduction surgery, and yes, every aspect of her life did change, for the better. She is now an aerobics instructor, looks much slimmer, can buy more youthful clothes, and has an entire different outlook on life. She's finally happy and it shows all over. This indeed change her life for the better. It happens.