Page: 1

Kosher

cmleidi
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Kosher#0
Posted: 4/4/04 at 10:46pm
Can someone tell me what kosher means? What makes a food kosher?
Corine2 Profile PhotoCorine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Kosher#1
Posted: 4/4/04 at 10:51pm
A food that is blessed by a Rabbi. I am not Kosher but that is only part of it.
Updated On: 4/4/04 at 10:51 PM
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Kosher#2
Posted: 4/4/04 at 11:11pm
Okay, I'm Catholic, but I have lunch with several people who "keep kosher" and they've explained what this means. I'll do my best to explain:

Kosher is a strict diet. Certain foods cannot be eaten with others (ex: meat and diary don't mix). Pork is forbidden because pigs are dirty animals. The same applies to shellfish.

If you look at packaged products you may find a circled "U" on the front of it. This means the product has been prepared under the supervision of a rabbi and that the food has been canned or packaged under standards that meet kosher law (ex: the meat hasn't been sliced in a machine used to slice cheese).

A truly kosher household will have two sets of dishes: one for meat and another for dairy. As one of my friends explained it, "Kosher" means "You are what you eat". In other words, what goes into the body creates a better spiritual person--one who lives by Mosaic law.

I hope this is a satisfactory explanation. I admit it's simplified. If an orthodox Jew wants to correct me, please do. After all, I'm a goy. I'd call my kosher friends, but they are forbidden to answer the phone during Passover (the mere act of picking up a phone constitutes "work" and that is forbidden during this holy season)

I've used kosher law to settle (for me) the age old question about whether eggs can be eaten by Catholics on days like Good Friday, when we must abstain from meat. According to kosher law an egg is classified as "diary" and is not meat. Therefore I will feel comfortable in having eggs this Friday.

Mazel Tov!
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 4/5/04 at 11:11 PM
BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Kosher#3
Posted: 4/5/04 at 6:28pm
At the risk of getting my head bitten off...

Nice explanation, Dollypop.
"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Kosher#4
Posted: 4/5/04 at 7:07pm
My wife is Jewish but is not really Kosher. For example, Kosher applies to the way an animal is slaughtered. It has many other meanings as well as an expression for someone or something being false
Poster Emeritus
dramaqueen Profile Photodramaqueen Profile Photo
dramaqueen
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: re: re: re: re: Kosher#5
Posted: 4/7/04 at 4:04pm
as a jEw i would like to add that keeping Kosher for passover includes a stricter diet, whuich prevents consuming leavened bread
:) cco
emonkeygirl Profile Photoemonkeygirl Profile Photo
emonkeygirl
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: re: re: re: re: Kosher#6
Posted: 4/8/04 at 8:07am
Actually, kosher means "separate but holy". Not just foods can be kosher, for example, a chanukah menorah must have eight even arms, with the ninth higher, to be kosher.
The reasoning behind the no milk with meat is ethical. Back in the day (ancient, that is...), people used to boil baby animals live in their mothers milk, which the laws of kosher declared unethical.
There's even more involved, if you REALLY want to know details, read Leviticus. It's a bit tedious & lists 213 commandments including the laws of kashrut (kosher-y goodness!).
It's hot and it's monotonous. I want my glasses.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Kosher#7
Posted: 4/8/04 at 9:28am
Not all Jews 'keep Kosher'. Probably a minority percentage, mostly those in the orthodox community. I don't know of many reformed or conservative Jews who do.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES