Page: 1

Broadcast Decency Act

iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Broadcast Decency Act#0
Posted: 3/14/04 at 2:03pm
Just another impending clampdown on freedom...kind of a censorship wolf in sheep's clothing:

"BROADCAST DECENCY

Voting 391-22, the House on March 11 passed a bill (HR 3717) that would increase fines - from $27,500 to $500,000 per incident - on TV and radio stations found to have broadcast indecent material. The bill raises fines for artists who perform such material from $11,000 to $500,000 per incident. It requires the Federal Communications Commission to hold a license revocation hearing after a station commits its third offense. The bill, which does not define indecency, awaits Senate action."

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/nation/8175246.htm?1c

I hadn't been following it that closely, but apparently Howard Stern has recently become a lightning rod since becoming openly critical of Bush & Co (at least according to the somewhat paranoid Mr. Stern) Now, I can only take so much of Howard, and only in small doses, but I defend his right to exist and perform. Our freedoms are being nipped and tucked all over the place in the name of safety, decency and the war on terrorism. Each little instance can seem innocuous, but put them all together, and a whole lot of the basic rights that we think of as American are being shipped down the river. It's easy for someone to hold up Stern and justify censorship because he is frequently a tasteless jerk, but unless we realize the broader implications of the Decency Act, we're not going to realize what's been lost until it's too late. It doesn't take much to envision the long term effect its passage could have on the arts, in general.
Stern
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
JakeB
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Broadcast Decency Act#1
Posted: 3/14/04 at 2:19pm
Today, at exactly 6pm on a British channel here in the UK, available to anyone, Sharon Osbourne was in an advert saying '****'. In America? Outcry. England? Nothing. If it's used in context, it doesn't bother me.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Broadcast Decency Act#2
Posted: 3/14/04 at 2:43pm
America is such a square country, and its getting squarer by the day it seems.

The hysteria over Janet's millisecond boob and Howard Stern and the supposed orgy on AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL and so on...its just ridiculous. Meanwhile over on the highly rated FEAR FACTOR you can watch people drinking PUREED LIVE SCORPIONS! and no one seems to bat an eye. There's a difference between saying "****" and seeing it.

A reporter from a local weekly here in Seattle wrote an email to CBS PRAISING them for showing Janet's boob on TV. He got back a form e-mail saying "oh, we are so sorry for the offensive content we assure you something like this will never happen again" and blah blah blah. So all the flood of negative emails that was reported by CBS was never even read properly.

When will this right-wing hysteria come to an end????

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Broadcast Decency Act#3
Posted: 3/14/04 at 3:04pm
"When will this right-wing hysteria come to an end???"

That's kind of my point. It's not going to stop without a concerted effort to end it. I wasn't offended by Janet's boob, but I thought it was a cheap ploy for publicity on her part, and inappropriate to the venue. There's a fine line between upholding standards and instituting controls that are going to become too far-reaching. It's a difficut concept to pitch to mid-America...that "cleaning up" some of the rauchier stuff on the airwaves, is actually a thread to our freedom of expression.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: broadcast decency act#4
Posted: 3/14/04 at 6:15pm
well, i'm not coming down either way on what's decent and what's indecent, but let's face it, those fines i think were developed originally to cover "your show of shows" and "texaco star theatre." television and radio are multi-billion dollar businesses now and the performers are millionaires as well. to me this is just adjusting the fines to be a bit more in touch with the times. does anyone here think a $27,500 fine means anything to clear channel or infinity? and does $11,000 amount to much more than tip money for stern?

do there have to be standards? i think so, but the fight should be about what those standards are, not the fact that they are being enforced.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective