Page: 1

Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital

Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital#0
Posted: 3/3/04 at 9:45pm
The opening segment was 12 minutes & than 5 minutes of commercials with the next segment only 9 minutes before more commercials. It is absolutely ridiculous. I am about ready to give up as 1/2 the time is taken up by commercials.

The show itself makes no sense & is boring & not scary. What is with the anteater ?

Just gave up on it less than an hour into it. Not scary & terminally stupid. King has not written anything decent in years . He should retire .
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 3/3/04 at 09:45 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital#1
Posted: 3/3/04 at 10:05pm
Actually, it's not his story. It's based on a miniseries called "Kingdom" that he adapted. The opening credits reminded me of a Six Feet Under ripoff. I'm still watching, but it's pretty bizarre.

I liked From a Buick 8, Desperation and Hearts in Atlantis.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
johny0828 Profile Photojohny0828 Profile Photo
johny0828
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: re: Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital#2
Posted: 3/3/04 at 10:32pm
just wait for when it comes out on dvd.
RobbO Profile PhotoRobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital#3
Posted: 3/3/04 at 11:10pm
i think for a 15-hour limited series, you have to give it some time. while i won't make an effort to watch it again (and only watched it tonite because my boyfriend wanted to) it's like a 300-page book that takes a bit to lay the groundwork and get started.
XING
PED
Broadwaylady Profile PhotoBroadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love Stephen King and read all his books. I thought he retired after his car accident. He is nearly blind also. I watched the show and will give it a chance to see how it goes. He did not write the book.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sorry, the computer froze. One of my favorite movies of his was The Green Mile and Dead Zone. Salem Lot was one of my favorite books of his. I think his earlier books were better than the later ones.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
Updated On: 3/3/04 at 11:13 PM
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stephen King is a cool guy. I'm from Maine and before I moved to NYC you would always see him in the movie theatre and walking around town.His house rocks esp. around Halloween when its decorated.
ErikJ972 Profile PhotoErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"I think he should retire"...he has.
redhotinnyc2 Profile Photoredhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
His best books were definitely the ones at the beginning of his writing career when he was fresh - the first I ever read was Carrie, followed by Salem's lot, and then The Stand (brilliant)...after that it was hit or miss with him - and in the past ten years I haven't liked any of them - though I must say that the TV remake of The Shining was pretty much "on the money" as far as the book is concerned - as opposed to the hokieness of the original movie.
I liked the TV remake of Carrie also - Patricia Clarkeson as the mother was supurb casting.
"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This is based on the great Lars Von Trier's miniseries The Kingdom, which is on video and DVD. The main difference between the two is that Von Trier had an idea that what he was showing was rather silly. His version had lots of dark, weird humor in it....
Leave it to the American's to just not get it. To be completely literal and dull about it. They need to leave the foreign stuff alone! Stopped watching after 20 minutes, worst American adaptation since The Vanishing.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Broadwaylady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Borstalboy, is that Christopher Meloni!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love him. I watch Law and Order SVU every week.
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital#11
Posted: 3/4/04 at 7:29pm
I also love "The Stand". I have the book and the DVD. I was so aware of people sneezing and coughing around me for weeks after seeing/reading it.   Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital

I must confess, however, I never understood the true horror of "the end of the world" and everyone dying. We all die and it is the end of the world for us. Why is it so much worse that millions of others die at the same time? Your going to be just as dead.

The only reason I can think of is that somehow we know that we will be reborn but if the world is blown up or whatever that's not going to happen.

D
rlbgbc Profile Photorlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital#12
Posted: 3/5/04 at 10:11am
King was best at the beginning. I remember SALEM'S LOT scared the pee-tooley out of me. I was in college at the time, and got completely absorbed in the book one night. My room was on the third floor, and at 3:40AM I completely freaked myself out. I swear, I was waiting for Danny Glick to start floating in front of my window, rap-tap-tapping on the panes with his long fingernails.

My solution? Climb in bed with my never-used bible clutched to my breast and pray for the daylight.
SonofMammaMiaSam Profile PhotoSonofMammaMiaSam Profile Photo
SonofMammaMiaSam
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital#13
Posted: 3/5/04 at 10:27am
Ha Ha! I had the exact same experience, except it was with The Shining and it was Jack Torrence outside with an ax.
ckeaton Profile Photockeaton Profile Photo
ckeaton
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Steven Kings Kingdom Hospital#14
Posted: 3/5/04 at 11:36am
I thought it was a little wierd, with the anteater and all, but I think there is potential there. I'm looking forward to it. I digitally record it, so I can fast forward through the commercials.
Hamlet's father.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Put the anteater up again Trump in the board room
Poster Emeritus