Page: 1

Hillbilly Elegy

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hillbilly Elegy#1
Posted: 12/16/20 at 9:20am

Has anybody seen "Hillbilly Elegy" on Netflix? I watched it the other night and it was not great but still enjoyable. I got a "kick" out of Glenn Close playing "Mamaw" and thought Freida Pinto as "Usha" (JD Vance girlfriend) was really good

Updated On: 12/16/20 at 09:20 AM
Alex Kulak2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hillbilly Elegy#2
Posted: 12/16/20 at 9:24pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I've definitely heard the controversy with it. My main umbrage is the depiction of his mother's drug use. I'm the son of a recovering alcoholic, and the idea of exploiting a loved one's addiction to further one's political agenda (especially one that's been shown time and time again to hurt those suffering from addiction) just really rubs me the wrong way.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hillbilly Elegy#3
Posted: 12/17/20 at 4:06pm

The book was more politically aware, Mamaw figures prominently, but his mother is more of a peripheral character.  The story was really rewritten. That being said, the film was OK., book was better but differently purposed.

Words that confuse censors:Fecund,penal,taint, titmouse, cockatoo,coccyx, ballcock, cockeye, prickly,kumquat, titter,cunning linguist, insertion, gobble, guzzle, swallow, manhole, rimshot,ramrod,come, fallacious, lugubrious,rectify,Uranus, angina, paradiddle,spotted dick,dictum, frock,cunctation, engorge,turgid,stiff, bush, uvula, crapulence, masticate, Dick Butkus, gherkin and of course the always bewildering lickety split. As you can see, context is every thing. Chuck Lorre Addendum: 555 382 5968 "Sexarama, Hexarama, Queeriosis, Feariosis!" Alec Baldwin “I’m going to have to science the shit outta this.” The Martian
SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hillbilly Elegy#4
Posted: 12/24/20 at 8:24pm

EW magazine thought it was a mess.