Catholic people amuse me

BillFinn Profile PhotoBillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Catholic people amuse me#0
Posted: 1/26/04 at 4:48pm
I go to church (not by choice, never by choice mind you) this weekend and a liberal college priest from St. Leo University, Florida comes to perform the mass ritual and for his homily, he starts preaching that we should accept homosexuals and love/treat them equally. Half of the audience walked out. Mothers complained "I will not give a cent to this church if that man ever preaches here again".

Don't you love blatant hypocracy? I love my community.
Bill Finn rocks. Woot.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Catholic people amuse me#1
Posted: 1/26/04 at 5:01pm
Damn. Please tell me you thanked that priest afterwards for his guts and true Christ-like behaviour.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Catholic people amuse me#2
Posted: 1/26/04 at 5:10pm
I don't believe that was hypocrisy. People have different view points. Why do you want them to accept your viewpoint without exploring their viewpoint? I believe the greater hypocrisy is going to church when you clearly don't want to be there.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 1/26/04 at 05:10 PM
etoile Profile Photoetoile Profile Photo
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Catholic people amuse me#3
Posted: 1/26/04 at 5:12pm
Which community is it that you love? I don't sense it's your church community. Rather than painting an entire religion with the same brush and being amused by them, wouldn't remaining on your knees and praying for the "audience" that vacated their seats been a more positive communal response?
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Catholic people amuse me#4
Posted: 1/26/04 at 5:37pm
I was once in church when the youth minister was preaching. She began her sermon by saying, "My first act as a lesbian...."
Now, THAT was a hell of a sermon. It was also kind of surprising how many people had NO idea.
Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
etoile Profile Photoetoile Profile Photo
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Catholic people amuse me#5
Posted: 1/26/04 at 6:05pm
Now that's someone who knows how to get their attention.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Catholic people amuse me#6
Posted: 1/26/04 at 6:43pm
I feel as a Catholic I can weigh in on this

The priest was right & those who walked out were wrong as was the person who said about not contributing. It is equally wrong to condemn the whole church for this. The church preaches the old adage " hate the sin love the sinner". Do you really expect 2000 plus year of church teaching & beliefs to be changed overnight to suit you ? I can tell you that whenever the next Pope takes over it will not radically change. You cannot hate the whole church or condemn all priests as molesters because you are than guilty of the same bigotry you are fighting. I myself think the time is overdue for women priests. Do I than condemn church heirarchy because it has not happened ?

The church moves very slowly. They now allow creamation simply because there is no more room to bury people. It was based on cold hard reality. When they have no more male priests, they will look at ordaining women.

My gut feeling is the Catholic Church will never sanction gay marriage per se but may ( at some point in the future ) recognize some sort of unions. It will be a long time in coming but you can hate the whole church simply because they do not agree with you

We had Cardinal O Connor ( head of NYC Catholics ) ministered to AIDS patients for years before he died. He disagreed with homosexuality the act but had great compasssion for the people; especially the sick & dying in the Gay community. Was he a bad person?

When the Gay Pride parade marches down 5 th Ave, great. You want respect from Catholics & yet some of the antics of those marching in front of St Patricks is a bit much . If you want respect, you have to respect those you want respect from. You do not show them a lack of respect & want their respect in return. It is a 2 way street.

I respect everyone be they gay or straight until they disrepect me or what may be important to me. At that point, I no longer respect that individual . I respect many people on this board. I couldn't care less if they are gay or straight. If I like you as a person it is because of you not because you may be gay or straight. I have no pre conceived notions of anyone. Some people on this board I would love to meet over dinner or for drinks & I could not care less if you are straight or gay . I respect everyone until they give me a reason not to
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 1/26/04 at 06:43 PM
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Catholic people amuse me#7
Posted: 1/26/04 at 8:21pm
I am an openly gay Catholic. When I first "came out" there were some people who crossed over to another minister who was administering Communion during the liturgy. However, once the shock wore off, I found myself accepted by the congregation. I've also noticed quite a few gay couples coming to Mass together.

Things are changing in the Church, but ever so slowly.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Catholic people amuse me#8
Posted: 1/27/04 at 12:32pm
I choose not to attend Church anymore...partially because of these very issues. I cannot sit and pray amongst people who are not open to all lifestyles (mind you I mean lifestyles that do not hurt other people). I am not a homosexual, but I guess you can say I am a liberal. I accept all people for who they are. I cannot share in prayer with people who, when it comes down to it, really aren't very Christian at all. Besides the fact that people now bring cell phones into mass.
I believe in a Higher power; but I don't know who said that in order to be a Catohlic you have to sit in a house of worship amongst hypocrits? I can still believe while I'm walking down the street every day.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
BroadwayNYC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: re: re: re: Catholic people amuse me#9
Posted: 1/27/04 at 1:14pm
I just want to say that it upsets me enormously to hear those of you who are faithful are turning away from the Church. I am Greek Christian Orthodox, which is very similar to Catholism. I feel for those who have been affected, one way or another, from the hypocrosies and the abuse and suffering, of all Christians all around the world.

I want you to know that these sufferings should make our souls stronger, and NOT cause us to move away from the Church or its beliefs. One of the most important teachings of Christ is the power of forgiveness. This is so important to our souls. We need to forgive those who cause these terrible things. This IS the ONLY way we can let the pain pass and move on.

We as Christians know that Christ loves every single one of us, even those who do not believe in him. He has made every person unique in every way. People are born sick for a reason, people are born without arms or legs for a reason, and the list goes on. Why, we may never know. But just know that God allows these things to happen.

So this Sunday, I beg all of you, especially those that have turned away for reasons you only know, to go to Church and light a candle for every person who has done or said anything to hurt you or cause you pain. Please pray that those people see the light one day, and God's ways, so they may be able to accept and acknowledge that we are born the way we are for a reason - and that reason is because God made us that way.
Please don't turn ever away from the Church or Christ - we need them both now more than ever.

(please forgive, didn't intend to hurt or offend other religions or beliefs. I just had to share my feelings.)
"Everything's coming up roses, this time for me!"
newyorkuniq Profile Photonewyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I was raised catholic but I don't agree with alot of what the church says now..so maybe that makes me not catholic I dunno..anyway I think it's wrong for them to be so damn judgemental about everything.
BroadwayNYC
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
I don't know what you mean exactly by judgemental. Personally I am extremely blessed to be raised Christian. And you want to speak about being judgemental...look at the Muslim religion. Their religion is soooooooo strict and very judgemental. Look at the way they treat their women. And everything is forbidden in that religion. Again, for reasons they believe in so I don't know. So you're saying Christinaity is judgmental...I can't see that.

But if you study Christianity, you will come to see that the freedom lies within your soul. In Christianity, you and only you are given the power to live your life the way you choose. It is all said in the NT of the Bible. I haven't heard truer words ever spoken.

Again, I don't mean to impose my beliefs on anyone.
But in order to understand something, you must study it. In religion, there have to be certain boundaries. Those boundaries keep us in tact. Just like raising children, you can't let them do what they want. They are children and don't know better. You must teach them right from wrong so they can mature into decent human beings and learn to treat everyone with respect. (I don't have children but I'm assuming this is how it should be done.)

Would you want to live in a society without boundaries or protection?
"Everything's coming up roses, this time for me!"
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: catholic people amuse me#12
Posted: 1/27/04 at 2:00pm
ok, this doesn't necessarily relate to anyone here, or the thread in general but i feel like ranting. i kinda have a little trouble with the people who claim to be catholic yet who disagree with the church and expect the church to change to suit them. now there are a lot of religions out there and a lot of subsects within those religions that covers a lot of ground. the thing i have a problem with is people who want to identify themselves as being members of a religion, but do not believe in the tenets of that religion. i mean if you disagree with the teachings of the church, why would you continue to associate with the church?

now, for those out there who will bring up the fact that the church itself is hypocritical in its teachings, i have to say, "duh." no one has a gun to your head forcing you to the communion rail. oh wait sorry, the only still existing communion rail in the country is at mel's little private chapel in cali. but the point remains. religion is not like gender or race, i mean it's totally a choice. so those who choose to identify themselves as catholics, knowing full well what the stance of the church is on certain issues would seem to me to be the hypocrites. it's like joining the kkk and then demanding an affirmative action policy.

face it, catholic priests are men, the church considers homosexual acts to be a sin, it still don't condone birth control, abortion is murder in the eyes of the church, you have to get an annulment to have a re-marriage recognized by the church, jesus was an only child, immaculate conception, holy trinity...these are their views. this is catholic dogma. that's catholicism. now for people to choose to practice this religion and then complain that it's too restrictive is ludicrous. you knew going in those were the rules. you chose them. if you don't agree with them , wouldn't it make more sense to find a church and religion which more closely resembles your own views?

it's not like they changed the rules on you once you joined. "a-ha, now that we've got you in the fold, we'll let you in on the big secrets of catholicism." catholic teaching has remained pretty consistent over the years. oh yeah, they gave up the no eating meat on friday and limbo seems to have gone by the wayside (i really hope the occupants were promoted). purgatory isn't something that gets a lotta ink anymore either. vatican 2 cleared the jewish people of any responsibilty for jesus's death and modernized the mass (removing so much of the ritual that i loved) but the core beliefs, on social issues have been unchanged.

i know this all sounds suspiciously like the dreaded, "love it or leave it, argument." but when it comes to religion, shouldn't it be exactly that? if you don't agree with the teachings of your church then why on earth continue to associate yourself with it? when there are so many institutions out there that will cater to your spiritual needs, why continue to claim allegiance to one that goes against your core morality?
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
mebice Profile Photomebice Profile Photo
mebice
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: re: catholic people amuse me#13
Posted: 1/27/04 at 2:13pm
Two things you don't talk about...politics and religion...
Why do we rant on these subjects...it's just gonna upset everybody. I am keeping my religion to myself.
"Hold up your head. Never be afraid to shine. Viva la difference in my body and my mind. All out with loneliness Such a waste of time. Come in from the outside" ~ Taboo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: catholic people amuse me#14
Posted: 1/27/04 at 2:19pm
because, mebice, this is the off topic board where the men run free and the sheep run scared!

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
RobbO Profile PhotoRobbO Profile Photo
RobbO
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: catholic people amuse me#15
Posted: 1/27/04 at 2:28pm
i thought it was that the sheep run free and the men run scared?!?
XING
PED
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Papa,

Not everyone made a choice to be raised Catholic. It was foisted upon us by our parents. But then, I got older and learned that my relationship with God had nothing to do with this church run by men who do not understand that the way God created me is the way God desired me to live. So...I left the church. And I got closer to God.

That's my path. Other people go other ways.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
and see robbie, i totally respect that. that's the one part i forgot to put in my assault message. those people who are indoctrinated into the church and who grow up and find that the church is not representative of them and their views. i make the same argument as before, if you were raised from birth as a member of the klan, but when you got old enough to realize what it was all about, and assuming that it was not for you, would you quit, or would you argue for change from within to make the klan more representative of your views and society as a whole?

i think that religion is a deeply personal issue. i just have a hard time accepting people who rather than find their own path to god, remain a part of something that they don't believe.

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

TheaterBaby Profile PhotoTheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OK, I apologize because I did not read all of those posts...some of them were just too long for this subject matter.
lol I only read long posts that have to do with Broadway. re: re: re: re: re: re: re: catholic people amuse me

I would just like to point out that I do not have a problem with the Church's teachings, or even with the Priests and Nuns. What I have a problem with is a majority of their followers: the people who sit in the seats and claim to be good Parishiners because they go to Church every Sunday, but then walk out and do un-Christian things; and for that reason I no longer attend Church.
I went to Catholic school from Pre-school until I gaduated High School, so I am well versed on the teachings of the Christian religion. My point is that if God is who I believe he is, he will not hold it against me for not choosing to be like those other people. His son was a leader...not a follower. When he was told he had to be like the Romans, he opted to be faithful to his own beliefs.
"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Updated On: 1/27/04 at 07:41 PM
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
: catholic people amuse me#19
Posted: 1/27/04 at 8:08pm
I always tell people I just know enough about being Catholic to be dangerous. Both of my parents are/were Catholic but my father walked out of the church--the day before I was going to start school, no less!

The priest had pulled a check out of the collection basket and said, "I'm not going to shame the person who wrote this but you spend more than that in the bars on Friday night and I want to see more then this!"

My dad didn't write the check but he got up, walked out and refused to ever go back. He said when they start telling you how much to put in the collection basket, he didn't need to be in church.

And that is how I was saved the fate of going to Catholic School. All I can say is "God works in mysterious ways!" Go God!

D
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: : catholic people amuse me#20
Posted: 1/27/04 at 8:20pm
Catholic Schools weren't as bad as they've been made out to be. We got a good solid education in the basics. What's more, we learned respect and discipline. I've been teaching in the NYC Public Schools for the past few years and our students really need to learn respect and discipline. You can't learn other things without them.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: : catholic people amuse me#21
Posted: 1/27/04 at 8:47pm
If I was of school age, I rather be in a Catholic School for many reasons. One I would get a diploma worth something & I would escape with my life at the end of every day. I do not think you should have to go thru a metal detector to enter school. In addition, I think the environment is more condusive to learning. In public school, every day you make it home alive is an accomplishment . My high school diploma of the 60's is worth more than a public school diploma now. The funny thing is I went to public school . In the 60's, the biggest problem in public school was illegal smoking in the bathroom. The schools were more integrated. The public schools of the 60's worked. Today they are a joke turning out functional illierates . Many students advance a grade even though they can not pass the courses. These kids are ill prepared to go further in life. It is not a problem of money. No matter how much money you throw at them it makes no difference.
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 1/27/04 at 08:47 PM
DofB5
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: : catholic people amuse me#22
Posted: 1/27/04 at 8:50pm
Sorry guys but I have no use or love for Catholic schools. I have my own theory as to what is wrong but as I have no kids, I have all the answers, don't ya know! re: re: re:  : catholic people amuse me

D
BillFinn2 Profile PhotoBillFinn2 Profile Photo
BillFinn2
Swing
Swing
re: re: re: re: : catholic people amuse me#23
Posted: 1/27/04 at 9:28pm
Just for the record - this is still BillFinn. I just did a stupid thing and deleted my email address from the information thingy and yeah, my account is messed up.

Anyways...

GothamPC: "I believe the greater hypocrisy is going to church when you clearly don't want to be there."
Oh yes Gotham, because I control what my parents force me to do. I do not participate in prayer, standing/kneeling, and the other things that go on during mass. If I did, that would be hypocrisy. I just sit silently and respectfully.

etoile: "Which community is it that you love?" I was being facecious (sp?)

TheaterBaby & robbiej: I totally agree.

MrRoxy: Catholic Private School Education does have it's pluses in standards. Agreed. But everyday, students are forced to pray, spend an hour out of their day to attend mass every month, go on retreats. I know some teachers that give detentions for talking during prayer. Not to mention the religion class you cannot fail (Old/New Testament, Catholic Viewpoint on (fill in the issue), because in doing so, it shows on your record. To not be Catholic, and have all of this shoved down your throat on a continual basis? I can't imagine what that does to a person.

Fellow Ozians. Friends. We've been through a frightening time and there will be other times and other things that frighten us. So if you'll let me, I'd like to try to help, I'd like to try to be . . . Glinda the Good.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Strange but true Catholic school story: Despite my parents mixed marriage, I went to Catholic school for a spell to get training to get my first communion. Well, the big day finally arrived. The priest put the wafer on my tongue and it was HORRIBLE. I thought it tasted like a styrofoam chip. And I threw it up. What a Kodak moment for my parents! Afterwards, my fellow students told me "you know, you threw up the body of Jesus. They can't throw away your puke. The nuns have to eat it!" And I believed them. For Years.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"