Mel Gibson's "The Passion"

Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Mel Gibson's "The Passion"#0
Posted: 1/25/04 at 10:32pm
It will be interesting to see his take on the subject

After the 1960's versions (King of Kings & The Greatest Story Ever Told ), this will be a radical retelling of the passion of Christ specifically it will be far more graphic than the above sanitized versions were. It will be like The Wild Bunch was to the stardardized Westerns of their time
Poster Emeritus
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Mel Gibson's 'The Passion'#1
Posted: 1/25/04 at 10:35pm
I certainly hope the extremely graphic violence earns it the NC-17 rating.
Chat with the groan-ups: https://twitter.com/NamoInExile
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: Mel Gibson's 'The Passion'#2
Posted: 1/25/04 at 10:41pm
It will be a hard sell as the film will be in Latin & Aramaic. I hope there will at least be subtitles. I remember the squeaky clean Jeffrey Hunter in King of Kings which was dubbed by some critics as " I Was A Teenage Jesus" . I remember the film played on a 2 a day reserved seats ticket basis at the Loew's State in NYC ( demolished). The had a huge sign spelling out " King of Kings" over the marquee on the front of the building
Poster Emeritus
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: Mel Gibson's 'The Passion'#3
Posted: 1/25/04 at 10:45pm
We used to go to these Biblical epics as grade school class field trips.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
BEN HUR
KING OF KINGS

All on the giant screen and with Intermissions.

Now one just gets more commercials in the movie theatre not counting the mind-numbing slide slow of local advertisers before the real commercials begin. UGH!

LISTEN UP LOEWS!

Bulldog

Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: Mel Gibson's 'The Passion'#4
Posted: 1/25/04 at 11:00pm
We see movies today on "screens" . Movie exhibition started in Pennsylvania with nickelodeons, graduated to picture palace,started their downward spiral & have reached the bottom with our miniplexes

I remember many of the epics & have many of the souvenir books from them. Loew's is into real estate & could care less about the art of motion picture exhibition. . Here is a story which perfectly shows Loew's corporate mindset. Upon walking into the palatial lobby of the Loews Jersey in Jersey City NY, Mr Tisch ( big wig at Loew's) he was reported to have said " What a F***** waste of space".

Interested in the good old days of movie exhibition there is a website I believe is entitled the American Widescreen Museum
Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 1/25/04 at 11:00 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I have to damit, I do like the newer theatres with the stadium seating and comfortable seats. But they only have about 4 of the large screens for the most worthy new releases. All the screens should be large.
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#6
Posted: 1/26/04 at 11:35am
the only way it gets nc-17 is if caviezel's crucifixion is historically and anatomically correct. i'm surprised at you, namo, i was sure that you knew that sex is far more insidious and dangerous to show than violence.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#7
Posted: 1/26/04 at 2:03pm
Of course, "The Christ," as Mel likes to call him, would have been anatomically tumescent throughout the crucifixion due to the blood forcing its way down to the lower extremities. Which anybody who knows anything about crucifixion will tell you.

I'm also beginning to think that Mel is the one starting this "controversy" about the film being anti-Semitic. This issue was dealt with months ago and all of a sudden it's flaring up again.

My local news show just did a feature on it. Mel went on and on about how this movie could kill his career (not likely) but that he didn't care (why should he? it's not as if he isn't set for life). This is what Mel said in response to the unattributed claims that he is anti-Semitic. I'm not making this up, this is what he said:

"That's so not a part of who I am. I don't hate Jews. I like them. I pray for them."

I bet you Jewish people can sleep better now.
JohnPopa Profile PhotoJohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#8
Posted: 1/26/04 at 2:19pm
Are there any actual Arabs in this 'accurate' depiction of the story? I've yet to see one in any of the sclips I've seen ...
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
From the film clips I've seen of THE PASSION, I don't think it is all that accurate. First off, in Roman times, the condmened man did not carry the entire cross to his crucifixion, he carried only the crossbeam. The upright posts were already in place on the outskirts of Jerusalem. In Gibson's film, Jesus is shown carrying the entire cross.

Secondly, the spikes weren't driven through the palms of the condemned man's hands. They were driven into the base of the palm--almost at the wrist. The palm would never be able to support the weight of the "victim"--especially as he tried to raise himself up on the cross so he could breathe. From what I've seen, Gibson shows the nails driven through the actor's palms.

Lastly, in Martin Hengel's book "Crucifixion", the author reveals that many of the condemned also had a fourth spike driven into them--through their testicles. This is not to say that Jesus experienced this horrible indignity, but it was done at the time He was crucified.

The Mel Gibson film does seem to be extremely bloody, but the story played out in extremely bloody times.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not at all interested in having the violence spelled out for me, nor do I feel it is necessary. My imagination works quite well on its own. Thank goodness we are given a choice unlike when people wear the bleeding Jesus T-shirts out in public. That ticks me off. I admit I am a wuss when it comes to graphic violence. It makes me physically ill and if shown realistically, upsets me greatly.
Dollypop
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I understand what you're saying, Matt. However, it is sometimes good for Christians to see something like this to remember that our Redemption wasn't achieved easily. Our whole Faith stems from this selfless act of love by Jesus.
"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I can understand what you mean, dollypop. I would say more on the subject, but I don't want to start a Christian controversy as I don't feel this is the proper place and I don't think there is any absolute right or right on the subject. I do find it interesting, though. My father's family comes from a strong Irish Catholic background, so I grew up rather intimidated by Christianity. One of my uncles is now an Episcopalian priest and has offered to marry my partner and I. I find it all rather mysterious. Did you ever happen to read The Da Vinci Code? The story was so-so, but the research behind it was just fascinating.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wait. There are bleeding Jesus t-shirts? Where do they sell them? Any idea how they look under blacklight?
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Namo, my friend Marc has one. A GIANT head of Christ crowned with thorns with the legend NO GREATER LOVE across the bottom.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That would look so great with the sleeves cut off and a leather strap on the left biceps. Were one to have biceps.
Updated On: 1/27/04 at 10:50 AM
etoile Profile Photoetoile Profile Photo
etoile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
mel gibson's 'the passion'#16
Posted: 1/27/04 at 11:55am
And we assume one already has the leather strap, because one must.
Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.
Updated On: 1/29/04 at 11:55 AM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#17
Posted: 1/27/04 at 3:36pm
If only in the form of a collar for one's toy poodle.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#18
Posted: 1/27/04 at 4:12pm
I found out that Mr. Gibson will be making an apperance at my church sometime in feb. I cant wait!!!
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#19
Posted: 1/27/04 at 9:28pm
As an altar boy or what?
chinkie azn jai Profile Photochinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#20
Posted: 1/28/04 at 6:14pm
hahahha, no hes doing an interview with out senior pastor (bill hybles) i go to willow creek community church by the way ;D.
"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D
popcultureboy Profile Photopopcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#21
Posted: 1/29/04 at 9:44am
watched the trailer again last night, as it appeared on Apple's Quicktime page. It's the same trailer I saw ages ago only this time, there are subtitles. Mel Gibson caved. The ****.
Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
MasterLcZ Profile PhotoMasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#22
Posted: 1/29/04 at 10:01am
It looks to me like Mel has seen "Sebastiane" more than once.
"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: re: re: mel gibson's 'the passion'#23
Posted: 1/29/04 at 10:24am
Does Mary Magdalene sing "Everything's All Right" in this version? I love that number.