Tearjerkers- movies that have made you cry

JailyardGuy Profile PhotoJailyardGuy Profile Photo
JailyardGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
OMG, when his mother gets hit in the head with a softball and dies?!?!?! I cried like a freaking FREAK the rest of the movie.
Suzanne: I never use catalogs. I'd rather go in the store and see all the salespeople groveling and sucking up to you. Julia: Pardon me, I never knew they were so solicitous at the K-Mart.
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
i dont usually cry durring movies...

i cried at the end of philidelphia (and i was watching it in school with my entire english class no less!)
*SPOILER*

it wasn't when he died that got me, it was when they were showing videos of him as a child... something inside me clicked and i though "omg this is a real person. this isn't just some movie"

*END OF SPOILER*

i cried at the end of return of the king but i think that's just my nerd-ness showing.

and i bawled like a baby when the OC ended.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
kate2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Jaily, SAME WITH ME!!
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
FINDING NEVERLAND

I've never seen the last 20 or so minutes with clear vision. It's always been a blurry mess.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Jonny boy Profile PhotoJonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I always get choked up in Empire Of The Sun at the end where he finally meets up with his parents after being in that concentration camp
luvcaroline Profile Photoluvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Color Purple
Terms of Endearment
Schindler's List
Kasie Profile PhotoKasie Profile Photo
Kasie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
rent (EVERY TIME)
armagedden
titanic
simon birch
where the red fern grows
across the universe (let it be)

and tv shows:

lost(when charlie died)
extreme makeover home edition
Updated On: 2/28/08 at 01:37 PM
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Bambi
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Enjolras77 Profile PhotoEnjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
There were several animated features that got me misty-eyed when I was a child back in the '80s.

1) When Optimus Prime died in Transformers, the Movie

2) There was this Garfield TV special from 1982 called "Here Comes Garfield" where Odie is taken to the pound. There is this sad song played right before he is to be put to sleep called "So Long Old Friend" -- which always had me on the verge of tears. I remember that at one point, my Mom wouldn't let my younger sister watch it anymore because it would always make her cry.

Oh...and for those of you wondering, Odie is saved from the needle at the last possible second.

Here is a link to a video of the Garfield song (the song starts about 1 minute in):

So Long Old Friend
"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man
Updated On: 2/28/08 at 02:07 PM
kec Profile Photokec Profile Photo
kec
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
One cartoon that made me cry was the 1936 GULLIVER'S TRAVELS.

Other films that made me cry:

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Sommersby
Somewhere in Time
The Notebook
Captains Corageous
Schindler's List
Titanic
Little Women (the original with Katherine Hepburn)

lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Enjolras, I cried during "SNOOPY COME HOME" and "RATATOUILLE"
Kitzarina Profile PhotoKitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I STILL cry during Snoopy Come Home! Another tragic cartoon from my childhood is Scruffy.

Another movie that wretches my soul--Shadowlands.
"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"
keen on kean Profile Photokeen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I cried so much at the end of SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, that a woman next to me, a total stranger, hugged me! She was crying as hard as I was.
Updated On: 2/29/08 at 04:04 PM
lovelyspotlight Profile Photolovelyspotlight Profile Photo
lovelyspotlight
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tazber, I agree on The Fox and the Hound, which is my FAVORITE Disney movie and so so sweet.

Also, Requiem for a Dream. I'm not sure how it hasn't been mentioned yet; it's just about the most poignant work I may ever have seen.
Perfectly Marvelous Profile PhotoPerfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I remember also crying during Finding Neverland, as well as Big Fish. Not "going through 40 boxes of Kleenex" kind of crying, but they provoked a tear.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

misschung Profile Photomisschung Profile Photo
misschung
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Terms of Endearment
The Little Mermaid
The Little Princess
Stepmom
Titanic
Mrs. Doubtfire
Anywhere But Here
The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
Updated On: 2/29/08 at 04:55 PM
SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Green Mile always gets me.
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
EmieMarie Profile PhotoEmieMarie Profile Photo
EmieMarie
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I cant get through Lady and Tramp w/out crying
Titanic
Shindlers List
Swing Kids
FInding Neverland
Forrest Gump
Hook (THe flashback when we see Wendy grow up)
THe Notebook
La belle est vita
requiem for a dream
Fear no more the heat o' the sun, Nor the furious winter's rages; Thou thy worldly task hast done, Home art gone and ta'en thy wages: Golden lads and girls all must, As chimney-sweepers, come to dust. ~Cymbeline
TheatreFreak05 Profile PhotoTheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I cry a lot in sad movies. some movies are so sad to me that I fall asleep with a lump in my throat and cry myself to sleep (I am really pathetic)
I cried especially hard in:

Stepmom
The Note Book
Somewhere in Time (the most I have ever cried in a movie)
Little Women
Finding Neverand
The Lion King (yes. I actually cried during that movie)
Bridge to Terebithia
Pride and Prejudice (Everytime. I don't know why though. There aren't even any sad parts in it)
grnsmwhr Profile Photogrnsmwhr Profile Photo
grnsmwhr
Stand-by
Stand-by
Sophie's Choice
Imitation of Life - when the daughter is trying to get to her mother's casket and crying Mama I'm sorry. I've seen the movie 10 times and always cry at that scene.
Philadelphia
Boys Don't Cry

You see, obsessions are very personal things, they come from deep inside us, where we are open and vulnerable, which is why I consider them sacred, not to be belittled....PalJoey
Updated On: 2/29/08 at 01:15 AM
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Most recently, Away From Her, which might be the saddest movie I've ever seen.

The whole film I was choking back tears. And then by the end I lost it.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
shanescot Profile Photoshanescot Profile Photo
shanescot
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
I recently saw Marvin's Room, and I had little girl tears running down my face throughout several scenes...Such a wonderful understated little movie with great performances!
RadiGal2 Profile PhotoRadiGal2 Profile Photo
RadiGal2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not much as stuck me and Kleenex worthy in awhile....I cry rivers over the Rwanda movies that have been coming out in the past few years but more out of frustration than anything else....but I will say that I was a hot snotty mess during Hustle and Flow. The hunger to get out; to say something; to be understood. Wow. I weep something awful. Maybe it's where I come from but boy did it resonate with me -- and it had a kick even days later I would get chocked up now and again.
"I'm a one-eyed Mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that." ~The ever-great and fabulous Morris K. Udall.
jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photojeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
After reading abbarabbit's post, I have to agree about certain parts of a movie. I listed Beaches as a movie in my previous post, but it was only at the end when they flashed the pictures with the kids voices that I actually cried. Also, I forgot to mention "Bastard Out Of Carolina" and "My Girl." ( only when the little girl breaks down in the funeral home)
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis
yeslets Profile Photoyeslets Profile Photo
yeslets
Understudy
Understudy
There are only 3 movies that have ever made me cry in public:

1. Deepa Mehta's 'Water'. My friend and I were snotty messes.

2. 'Iris'. Again, a snotty mess

3. 'Murial's Wedding'. The part when she walks down the aisle at her wedding, right past her poor mother who has come with a big gift, and her mother looks just absolutely heartbroken. Damn. Breaks me every time.

And 'Requiem for a Dream' is pretty bad too, although it didn't make me cry. But I do remember calling up my mom after seeing it.