PRISCILLA Marquee

dragonlp86 Profile Photodragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
PRISCILLA Marquee#26
Posted: 1/23/11 at 8:24pm
The Palace is a little restricted when it comes to what they can actually do with their marquees, it seems. They've got SO much going on around it (posters and ads-wise). They'd have to go all out to make it stand out more from everything else.
Tag Profile PhotoTag Profile Photo
Tag
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#27
Posted: 1/23/11 at 8:32pm
Yes the show curtain and lipstick are the same for the North American production. However the "You are here" on the show curtain is on the opposite side at the top of the curtain than it is in London.
Updated On: 1/23/11 at 08:32 PM
The Pud
Stand-by
Stand-by
PRISCILLA Marquee#28
Posted: 1/24/11 at 2:13pm
Chorus girls Brick? Without them the show has no voice. Who are they going to go to when the View or the Today show want a song performance? The divas are not only the voice of the show but they are also the face of it. You will be seeing more of them around New York.
Brick Profile PhotoBrick Profile Photo
Brick
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#29
Posted: 1/24/11 at 4:46pm
^I'm the first to admit I haven't seen the show. Do the leads truly not sing? But it is an adaptation of a film in which those 3 characters don't exist. I can't imagine they are more important to the plot than the 3 characters upon which the entire plot is based.
TheatreFan4 Profile PhotoTheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#30
Posted: 1/24/11 at 5:12pm
The leads do sing. The Divas serve as a sort of stereo the leads mouth the words do when in drag performance. They also have a few of their own songs too.
"Hi there, we represent The Broadway Better Business Players for a Better Tomorrow. We're trying to start a petition to get second rate shows taken off the marquee and with your help we can stop Mamma Mia from ever playing again." -Brad Jones in Suburban Knights

"Is it true you have Ralph Jr at the bottom of your purse in a jar of formaldehyde?" - Felicia
"No, but I wish I did so I could shove it down your throat!" - Bernadette

"This play is sh*t! This play is sh*t! F*CK YOU TERRENCE MCNALLY!!"- Patti LuPone as an angry theatre goer at 'Master Class'

"Being normal is VASTLY overrated..."
- Aggie Cromwell
Brick Profile PhotoBrick Profile Photo
Brick
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#31
Posted: 1/24/11 at 5:35pm
Gotcha. Still seems a bit evasive and conspicuous, especially given the advertising of the show elsewhere. But perhaps they are indeed going to be replaced later, though I don't see why they wouldn't put the Toronto cast up if it is indeed going to B'way. Though maybe that isn't so...
mee.who
Understudy
Understudy
PRISCILLA Marquee#32
Posted: 1/24/11 at 5:48pm
Huh? The three women on the billboard were in the show in Toronto and will be in the Broadway production as well.
spicegirlsaloud
Understudy
Understudy
PRISCILLA Marquee#33
Posted: 1/24/11 at 5:48pm
One of the plot points is the change between old style drag queens who would lip sync to music compared to new performers who sing the songs themselves.
The divas are not actually characters in the plot of the show but are present throughout singing the big disco numbers like its raining men, i say a little prayer, i will survive, macarthur park, girls just wanna have fun and the finale that the drag queens lip sync to. The leads do sing about half the songs themselves.
I have seen this production in toronto several times and these girls are fantastic! and I think the marquee is fabulous!
And the comment that they should have gotten skinnier girls is absolutely ridiculous and insulting. These are 3 beautiful talented women.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#34
Posted: 1/24/11 at 5:57pm
"And the comment that they should have gotten skinnier girls is absolutely ridiculous and insulting."

Figures it was from dramadude, who also thought it was okay to post negative comments that were made about a performer in a closed Union meeting.

Classy, ain't he?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
quizking101 Profile Photoquizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#35
Posted: 1/24/11 at 7:10pm
Well this marquee is a disappointment. It doesn't stand out at all. I'd much prefer they have the giant shoe.

Could it be that maybe this marquee is temporary (like an "Under Construction" kind of thing) and that they will jazz up the marquee for opening?
dramadude Profile Photodramadude Profile Photo
dramadude
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
PRISCILLA Marquee#36
Posted: 1/24/11 at 9:26pm
I stand by my comment(s). Those of you girls or "divas" who are too insecure to admit that sex sells in the entertainment industry are just that... insecure. That marquee is misleading, although beautiful in many aspects, but nonetheless not the best that could have been done.
Spotlightjb
Swing
Swing
PRISCILLA Marquee#37
Posted: 1/24/11 at 9:35pm
"Those of you girls or "divas" who are too insecure to admit that sex sells in the entertainment industry are just that... insecure."

And anything above a size two isn't sexy? Gotcha.

Also, interesting use of the "ur just jelus" card.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#38
Posted: 1/24/11 at 10:02pm
Dude,

Every time you post, the world sees what you are really about.

Has the Union contacted you yet for posting things that go on at private meetings?
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
ace33
Stand-by
Stand-by
PRISCILLA Marquee#39
Posted: 1/25/11 at 9:24am
It reminds me of the MEMPHIS marquee...

PRISCILLA Marquee

PRISCILLA Marquee

... with the poor installation job, i feel like its just temp... if these 3 ladies were in the show from out-of-town perhaps they are using their photo until they can do the shoot for the others?
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#40
Posted: 1/25/11 at 9:56am

I've always preferred the Australian artwork to that of London/NY.

PRISCILLA Marquee
broadwayguy2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#41
Posted: 1/25/11 at 10:02am
Look, here is the way I see it --

Is it a great advertisement for the show? Yes. Let's be honest, with the greatly reduced size of the Palace marquee and the surrounding show ads, anything else that a killer "ad" would be lost.

Do I think that it is a somewhat smart choice to market the show to the tourist set who might be reluctant to approach a theatre with an 8 foot stiletto and a gaggle of drag queens to see a NEW musical with no star name marketable to the midwest-set? Oh yes.

Am I, as a gay man, more than a little miffed to feel like the gays and drag queens got shoved to the back of the bus and the marquee can easily be seen as treating us as Priscilla's "dirty little secret"? You better believe it.

Did I almost scream out loud the first time I walked toward the Palace to enter my subway station and I saw Anastacia McCleskey, Jacqueline B. Arnold and Ashley Spencer larger than life on the wall of the Palace Theatre? Of course I did. Diva will vouch for that. These three women are incredibly talented and have more than paid their dues... and are incredibly attractive. Congrats, girls!
MamasDoin'Fine Profile PhotoMamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#42
Posted: 1/25/11 at 10:17am
Every entrance they make, every number they perform, brings the house down in London at every performance
Justin D Profile PhotoJustin D Profile Photo
Justin D
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PRISCILLA Marquee#43
Posted: 1/25/11 at 12:26pm
I've always disliked the Palace's marquis, more so now that the main poaster was reduced by half.

Maybe what they should so is some sort of additional frame and lights around the poster that is specifically advertising what is on at the palace?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre
The Pud
Stand-by
Stand-by
PRISCILLA Marquee#44
Posted: 1/25/11 at 1:01pm
I don't think the billboard is temporary. The billboard they used in Toronto would get lost next to the CHICAGO billboard imo. In London, there is no competition on either side of the building, look how huge the space is that they have to work with. You really can't compare Toronto and London to the Palace in NYC at least where space available for the marquee is
concerned.
BroadwayBoy3 Profile PhotoBroadwayBoy3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy3
Understudy
Understudy
PRISCILLA Marquee#45
Posted: 1/25/11 at 2:13pm
I love it.
The Pud
Stand-by
Stand-by
PRISCILLA Marquee#46
Posted: 1/25/11 at 7:48pm
Ditto Broadway Boy
Marlothom Profile PhotoMarlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
PRISCILLA Marquee#47
Posted: 1/25/11 at 9:20pm
I hear they were recording a Bway cast album today, so looking fwd. to it! I wish this show a long (Mama Mia-style) run - but still worried.
"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."
Famebroadway2 Profile PhotoFamebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
PRISCILLA Marquee#48
Posted: 1/26/11 at 8:26am
Why no Stiletto????
The Pud
Stand-by
Stand-by
PRISCILLA Marquee#49
Posted: 1/26/11 at 9:02am
Perhaps the shoe and bus will be on the Playbill. Anybody know about this? They are probably printed and ready to go by now.
TheatreDork3 Profile PhotoTheatreDork3 Profile Photo
TheatreDork3
Understudy
Understudy
PRISCILLA Marquee#50
Posted: 2/1/11 at 7:35pm
I have to admit that I agree with TheatreDiva on the whole skinny girl comment. I think it's great that the image is of three gorgeous, curvacious divas!! I wish we'd see more images of real people in advertising. That's one of the amazing advantages of live theater over movies, we often see real people on a stage and not girls or boys who clearly need to eat a sandwich!

TD
Show's I've Seen: 2011: American Idiot, Lombardi, Screwtape Letters, Adams Family, Imaginocean, Phantom - 2010: Spiderman, A Little Night Music, Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson, La Cage aux Faux, Next to Normal (twice), Fanny (City Center), Next Fall, - 2009: Finian's Rainbow, Let Me Down Easy, Toxic Avenger, Hair, Mary Stuart, 9 to 5, Avenue Q (a few times), Young Frankenstein, Cry Baby, Applause (City Center), Xanadu, Legally Blond, Glorious Ones, Gutenberg: The Musical, Spring Awakening, Company, Dessa Rose, Jersey Boys, The Color Purple, Taboo, Altar Boys, Lestat, The Weddings Singer, Hairspray, Spamalot, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Wicked, Brooklyn, Urinetown, 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Grey Gardens, Drowsy Chaperon, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Les Miserable, Aida, Great American Trailer Park Musical, Into The Woods, Naked Boys Singing, Cabaret, Last Five Years, Jekyll & Hyde, Corpus Christi, Side Show, Rent (a few times), Footloose, and Ragtime (First Broadway Show I saw).