Page: 11

Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread

Mike Barrett  Profile PhotoMike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread#251
Posted: 1/8/19 at 5:57pm

JSquared2 said: "Mike Barrett said: "Since there were 6 nominated in lead actress in a musical last season, will 6 be nominated for best lead actor in a play this season? The list is really strong.

Jeff Daniels
Bryan Cranston
Jeremy Pope
Paddy from the Ferryman (last name is escaping me)
Ethan Hawks
Adam Driver
Michael Urie
Nathan Lane
Bertie Carvel maybe?

Pretty stacked potentially. Should be a very interesting race
"

I'd also include Lucas Hedges in there. John Lithgow is also always a Tony favorite.
"

I agree Lucas was amazing. Replace Bertie with Lucas! 

DiscoCrows Profile PhotoDiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread#252
Posted: 1/9/19 at 2:02am

Is Lydia (Sofia Anne Caruso) a leading or featured role in Beetlejuice?

Does she have a shot at a nomination? She's such an incredible performer and she has such a unique voice, (I'd understand) but hate to see her get overlooked in such a packed season.

CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread#253
Posted: 1/9/19 at 9:21am

Mike Barrett said: "JSquared2 said: "Mike Barrett said: "Since there were 6 nominated in lead actress in a musical last season, will 6 be nominated for best lead actor in a play this season? The list is really strong.

Jeff Daniels
Bryan Cranston
Jeremy Pope
Paddy from the Ferryman (last name is escaping me)
Ethan Hawks
Adam Driver
Michael Urie
Nathan Lane
Bertie Carvel maybe?

Pretty stacked potentially. Should be a very interesting race
"

I'd also include Lucas Hedges in there. John Lithgow is also always a Tony favorite.
"

I agree Lucas was amazing. Replace Bertie with Lucas!
"

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming that Lucas will be considered Featured, not Lead.

JBroadway Profile PhotoJBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread#254
Posted: 1/9/19 at 9:32am
They might put Hedges in featured to give him a better shot, but otherwise I would assume leading. Hes a big name celebrity above the title, playing the narrator/protagonist character. The story is being told through his eyes, and hes a stand-in for the author - much like Tom in Glass Menagerie.

That said, I dont think hell be nominated at all because IMO has was far and away the weakest link in that cast. He was consistently being out-acted by his co-stars at virtually every turn. Not to mention the competition hes facing from other shows. The only scenario in which I can see him getting nominated is if they put him in featured, but I dont think they should or will.
brettarnett Profile Photobrettarnett Profile Photo
brettarnett
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread#255
Posted: 1/9/19 at 11:40am
Are Paddy and the other acting nominees from The Ferryman going to be forgotten about since a new cast is coming in? Have actors been nominated when they have been replaced come tony time? The only ones I can think of is Madeline Kahn in Twentieth Century, and Jonathan Groff in Hamilton.
CT2NYC Profile PhotoCT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread#256
Posted: 1/9/19 at 11:55am

brettarnett said: "Are Paddy and the other acting nominees from The Ferryman going to be forgotten about since a new cast is coming in? Have actors been nominated when they have been replaced come tony time? The only ones I can think of is Madeline Kahn in Twentieth Century, and Jonathan Groff in Hamilton."

Tony Shalhoub won, after taking a hiatus starting 3/1/18, although he did perform for voters at some performances in May.

JudyDenmark Profile PhotoJudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Way Too Early 2019 Tony Predictions thread#257
Posted: 1/10/19 at 11:45am

DiscoCrows said: "Is Lydia (Sofia Anne Caruso) a leading or featured role in Beetlejuice?

Does she have a shot at a nomination? She's such an incredible performer and she has such a unique voice, (I'd understand) but hate to see her get overlooked in such a packed season.
"

I have to assume she'll be considered as lead, but as you said.. it's not a guarantee this season. 

I think Kelli O'Hara and Stephanie J. Block are the two absolute locks, as well as Beth Leavel (if she's considered leading). Eva Noblezada and Rebecca Naomi Jones will probably round out the category on the strength of their critically acclaimed shows... though I'd love to see Caitlin Kinnunen somehow sneak in there.

That said, Beetlejuice obviously hasn't opened yet, and it sounds like they're making a lot of changes, so who knows! It could open to raves, in which case that changes this whole landscape.