Printer Friendly - re: re: re: Maggie May- OY VEY

Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by Corine2 2004-03-01 23:57:14

Ever go to a show and think it would have been more fun to stay home? Well don't see Maggie May as it is a sure fire miss.
There was no plot, the characters could not act and i wondered why am i here?
OH AGONY CUTS LIKE A KNIFE.(sings from Into The Woods- my theme for terrible shows)
MISS MAGGIE MAY. PAINFUL I TELL YOU!
OY.

re: Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by JeffG 2004-03-02 11:36:26

It was bad? I liked the description "A contemporary romantic comedy set in the Bahamas against a backdrop of sex, love, and fishing."

re: re: Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by Corine2 2004-03-02 12:54:53

Jeff,
It was embarrassingly bad. I took a date and paid for the tickets and he said" you owe me" He wanted to have a romantic dinner and i thought the show would be cute.
It was nothing more then a bad sitcom with bad writing and terrible acting.
Do yourself a favor and miss it. It was almost worse then Boobs the Musical from hell.
I was really upset because i wanted to see Nothing But A Dame but forgot about it and already ordered the Maggie May tickets.

re: re: re: Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by WOSQ 2004-03-02 16:08:36

Didn't Lionel Bart write a West End musical in the early 60s with the same name, Maggie May? One that never made it across the ocean?

However when I saw the title of the thread I was terrified that someone had written a show to "the Rod Stewart songbook" or some equally Talibannic show.

re: re: re: re: Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by Mister Matt 2004-03-02 16:16:03

"However when I saw the title of the thread I was terrified that someone had written a show to "the Rod Stewart songbook" or some equally Talibannic show."

They have. It's called Tonight's the Night and it is currently running in the West End.

re: re: re: re: re: Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by Corine2 2004-03-02 16:23:44

This is not that play.
It is dreadful and i wanted to like it. I want to see small Off Broadway shows succeed and i try to support them.
I loved Addicted which is next door at the Belt a powerful and brilliant play.
See Addicted.

re: re: re: re: re: re: Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by WOSQ 2004-03-02 16:44:35

Compared to a Rod Stewart songbook show, King Lear up at the Beaumont is a breezy warm family comedy.

As Bette Midler says, "I have standards. They're low, but I have them."

Ain't there no decency left?

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by JeffG 2004-03-03 10:50:09

If you really wanted to go to Dame, you should have just not used the tickets or given them to someone.

DAME was a fantastic event.

re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Maggie May- OY VEY
Posted by Corine2 2004-03-03 10:54:12

To make matters worse my Aunt bought a ticket to Nothing But a Dame and was sick so she called me to use the ticket.
I was on my date and had no way to know.
I was so bummed.
Besides she only had one ticket and i would not blow off my date.
It would be the wrong thing to do.
And i missed my favorite Dames:
Katemonster/Stephanie D'ABRUZZO remember her name she is awesome!
Sutton
Kristin
Donna Murphy