Printer Friendly - What Movies Do You WANT To Be Made Into Musicals?

What Movies Do You WANT To Be Made Into Musicals?
Posted by Soaring29 2019-01-22 00:55:35

It's a constant complaint nowadays that there are too many films that are translated into musicals but  what movies do you actually think could make good musicals if put in the right hands? Mine would be: 

1. The Heiress: This is a fantastic film as well as an excellent play that could make a great piece of legit musical theatre if done in the right hands. 

2. The Piano: The film score is so haunting that you can only imagine how incredible a musical of this material could be- it would be hard to really do it justice though. 

3. Boy's Don't Cry: A strong pop/rock score and a well executed adaption of this true story could do really well in portraying a trans's person quest to be who they are and the tragic consequences of that. 

4. An Education- This was a really great film that would translate well to the stage as a musical or even as a straight play. 

5. A Star Is Born(1954 version's score)- Obviously the music would need to be expanded but the film is so great that it's hard to believe that nobody has tried to make a musical out of it. I think it could really be spectacular if great care is taken with the legacy of the original. 

What do you think? 

Posted by BrodyFosse123 2019-01-22 01:53:49

ALICE DOESNT LIVE HERE ANYMORE
THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS
SIXTEEN CANDLES
BLUE JASMINE

Posted by dramamama611 2019-01-22 05:10:32

The same title i always write whenever this thread comes up (which is often):

The Princess Bride

Posted by MadAboutTheBoy 2019-01-22 09:56:42

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

Posted by BwayGeek2 2019-01-22 10:26:41

I would actually love to see Pride and Prejudice as a musical!

Posted by darquegk 2019-01-22 11:24:14

Probably the one I'm currently working on: THE CABINET OF DOCTOR CALIGARI. I'm drawing from the public-domain original, and I got the rights to the Lynchian remake/remix from the last decade, but every draft I work on grows farther and farther from being a mere retelling of either film. I'm trying to have it both ways: make it clearly a musicalization of the beloved story, while neither being unduly slavish to the original, nor so removed from it that it's almost a totally different story entirely.

Posted by Rainah 2019-01-22 11:58:05

Honestly, none. Lay off the movie adaptions for a few years. Truly I think the medium of live action movies is too close to theatre to make it something genuinely distinct and creative without a lot of work - which companies don't really seem willing to do.

Posted by JennH 2019-01-22 12:23:12

BwayGeek2 said: "I would actually love to see Pride and Prejudice as a musical!"

Um, Austen's Pride? Literally has been around for some time but it keeps getting reworked and re-titled. It just had a lab and will be playing at ACT soon. There's a actually a few P and P attempts going on right now, but Austen's Pride is the most well known one currently, but frankly I never saw it as a musical. It just doesn't work, hence why I think most attempts fail. A lot of classic literature is like that, but Secret Garden is the exception. 

Oh Princess Bride...What did happen to that anyway? It was cancelled back when but it seems to have all but died. 

My addition. HERCULES. Always and forever. I know Menken is working on it, but it's gonna be slow going I think. 

Posted by JudyDenmark 2019-01-22 12:41:14

Girls Just Want to Have Fun.

Practically writes itself. 

Posted by Kea4 2019-01-22 12:45:56

Moana! Not that we need any more Disney shows on Broadway right now, but this could be made into something incredible for the stage with the right creative team. 

Posted by Moreski93 2019-01-22 12:49:36

Hamlet 2! If you all havent seen this underrated masterpiece, its about a Tucson Arizona drama teacher that puts on the most breathtaking piece of theater to save his department. There are a few juke box tunes like Elton johns someone saved my life tonight. But its the original tracks that bring this piece of art to life. Hits like raped in the face, youre as gay as the day is long, and the magnum opus rock me sexy Jesus. It sounds like Im joking but this movie is BUILT for broadway. Literally anytime I think about what kind of screen to stage adaption Id love to see, Hamlet 2 always comes to mind.

If not that, I wanna see la la land hit the stage already. Would love to see what they would do with that highway scene.

Posted by henrikegerman 2019-01-22 13:12:08

five foreign language movies: 

Goodbye, Lenin

Children of Paradise

The Cakemaker

Eat Drink Man Woman 

And a movie nominated today for three Oscars,  COLD WAR, which has a lot of very beautiful sung music all of it exquisitely filmed - besides being a masterpiece.

Posted by haterobics 2019-01-22 13:58:29

BwayGeek2 said: "I would actually love to see Pride and Prejudice as a musical!"

The movie was also successfully adapted into a book, too.

Posted by RWPrincess 2019-01-22 14:10:56

Tangled 

Home Alone and it has to play at the American Airlines Theater

Posted by Dollypop 2019-01-22 16:12:07

American Sniper

Posted by Miserent 2019-01-22 16:25:49

I want Suspiria done as an opera.

Posted by Hest88 2019-01-23 13:44:23

haterobics said: "BwayGeek2 said: "I would actually love to see Pride and Prejudice as a musical!"

The movie was also successfully adapted into a book, too.
"

LOLOL!

Posted by MichelleCraig 2019-01-23 15:32:01

Stories have floated around since 1997 regarding the 1954 A STAR IS BORN. Andrew Lloyd Webber had the rights at that time...he may still have them.

There was talk of Bill Condon directing this back in 2017. I don't know where any of this stands now...but there definitely was interest.

Posted by SweetLips22 2019-01-23 15:44:29

Dollypop said: "American Sniper"

Thank you, I actually laughed out loud.

My choice would be a French film 'The Chorus' , probably impossible because of a cast of all those young boys with voices of Angels, especially the lead. The adults are a mixed bag of characters.

Perfect for ALW----how do I get him to consider this?

If you havn't seen it, highly recommend you do. [YOU is everyone].

Posted by Scarlet Leigh 2019-01-24 02:09:23

Labyrinth

RIP David Bowie. I have always hoped that we might see it developed for stage with new songs by Bowie. But when he passed, I lost most hope of that THOUGH somewhere in my heart I like to think that maybe, JUST MAYBE, he had worked on new music for a musical of this before he passed and it might still come to light one day. Like he left a piece of himself behind.

Posted by Ravenclaw 2019-01-24 02:53:51

I've always thought Death Becomes Her is just begging to be musicalized. Larger than life characters, long scenes in a few locations, and it even opens with a performance of a Broadway musical! Get a talented magic consultant for the fight scenes and they'll bring the house down.

I imagine that Casablanca could be a great musical, but it would take a lot of chutzpah to have the balls to touch that masterpiece. Same goes for Brief Encounter.

Posted by Fan123 2019-01-24 05:57:09

For what it's worth, there is 'Adrift in Macao', a silly parody of 'Casablanca' and film noir. I don't know much about it, listened to the cast recording ages ago.
https://www.theatermania.com/new-york/reviews/adrift-in-macao_6998.html
Although I love 'Casablanca', personally I can't see it being successfully musicalised in a serious way. I don't think Rick would ever sing; he has to be inscrutable for 90% of the story. (Amusingly, the above review reports that the Rick character from 'Adrift in Macao' complains about not being given a song, and then defiantly sings one anyway.) But who knows, maybe I'll be proven wrong someday.

Posted by theatregoer3 2019-01-24 08:14:07

Velvet Goldmine

Posted by BwayLB 2019-01-24 09:30:47

A few Disney or Pixar movies that maybe good or Moana, Monsters Inc, Mulan, Brother Bear, Descendants, Teen Beach Movie, Hocus Pocus And Halloweentown.

Posted by IdinaBellFoster 2019-01-24 10:00:37

I've always thought MISS CONGENIALITY would be a fantastic musical in the right hands. Think of that giant number during the crowning sequence!!  

Posted by David10086 2019-01-24 17:31:45

Though not one of my favorite Streisand movies, I always thought "The Mirror Has Two Faces" would be better as a Broadway musical than the vanity fim she put out in 1996. Not sure about casting, but with the right cast this could be a winner. 

Posted by Scarlet Leigh 2019-01-24 19:04:36

Ravenclaw said: "I've always thoughtDeath Becomes Heris just begging to be musicalized. Larger than life characters, long scenes in a few locations, and it even opens with a performance of a Broadway musical! Get a talented magic consultant for the fight scenes and they'll bring down the house."

This was recently reported in the works. I forget if it was just announced or if it was actually workshoped

Posted by VintageSnarker 2019-01-24 21:25:46

Soaring29 said: "It's a constant complaint nowadays that there are too many films that are translated into musicals but what movies do you actually think could make good musicals if put in the right hands? Mine would be:

1. The Heiress: This is a fantastic film as well as an excellent play that could make a great piece of legit musical theatre if done in the right hands.

I was excited about the idea of a Light in the Piazza/LaChiusa/Sondheim style musical. And then I remembered that Passion exists. Obviously there are differences between Washington Square/The Heiress and Passion but there are enough similaries in sentiments that I'm not sure you'd end up with something MORE compelling... or financially viable. 

I would love to see Hercules. I don't know how much a stage translation would add. I just think it would be a lot of fun. Same with Death Becomes Her.

Most movies that came to mind started their lives as books. Either classic lit or commercial stuff. Mostly books. Like, I think you could make a totally fluffy, family friendly version of The Princess Diaries. It's comparatively much easier to adapt than Anastasia or Pretty Woman. I can't think of much that's very problematic. With the right music, it's a total crowdpleaser. 

I think an Amy Winehouse bio musical could be interesting using the documentary as the inspiration but that doesn't really count.

Titanic is the easy answer if you want something successful. I don't think they'll ever give up on Gone With the Wind but it's much harder to adapt. 

Totally unnecessary but I would be up for a good version of Roman Holiday, Forsaking All Others, Ninotchka, Theodora Goes Wild, Move Over Darling, Come September, Dancing Lady, Possessed (1931), The Old Maid, The Divorce of Lady X, Stage Door, or Quality Street.

Also, they would make no money but Baby Face (1933) or Dream Wife (1953).

Posted by sdrick 2019-01-25 18:20:43

There have only been about 10 different versions. Also Sense and Sensibility. Enough already.

Posted by sdrick 2019-01-25 18:29:03

dramamama611 said: "The same title i always write whenever this thread comes up (which is often):

The Princess Bride

Disney holds the rights.

Posted by sabrelady 2019-01-25 19:33:55

The Princess Bride 

Disney holds the rights.

I remember Adam Gutell tried to adapt it w Goldman back in 2007 but "parted ways".  I suppose it will come to pass if Disney wills it so but when? ( b4 or after the WICKED movie|?|)

I've personally always  wanted a musicalization of  MOONSTRUCK. Except for losing the old man's dogs pretty straight forward. BUT I've also heard  John Patrick Shanley rivals Mamet in his protection of his written word, which might be an obstacle.wink

Posted by Stanton3 2019-01-25 22:11:41

"Paper Moon"  "Tender Mercies"  "The Dresser" "Tootsie" "Moonstruck" 

Posted by EdEval 2019-01-26 05:47:47

Arsenic and Old Lace....which was a play and then a movie and should be a musical now.  With Patti Lupone and Christine Ebersol as the sisters and Nathan Lane as Teddy it would be a smash!

Posted by EdEval 2019-01-26 05:47:48

Love Is A Many Splendored Thing....and yes, the title song from the film should be included.

Posted by AADA81 2019-01-26 10:53:22

Actually, it already was adapted as a Broadway musical called 'First Impressions' in 1959 (I think) with Polly Bergen and Hermione Gingold.  The cast recording is available on Amazon.  I'm not crazy about the score and it didn't last long on Broadway but you might like it.

Posted by Dave13 2019-01-26 12:07:05

La La Land