Page: 1

Rumors Continue To Swirl Around SF Mayor Newsom

romantico Profile Photoromantico Profile Photo
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Its so nice to see a Politician who is NOT afraid to be seen with "our Kinds of People". Imagine a Presidential nominee who was not emabarassed of us and actually thought of us as equals.I'd love to see this guy take on Sally Kern!

(San Francisco, California) Day by day San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom is sounding more and more as though he already is running for Governor.

Tuesday he went to the Sacramento Press Club for a speech on health care - especially for the poor. It was an address that many thought was a test of the gubernatorial waters, but when the question of a 2010 election run was put directly to him he brushed it aside saying it was speculative and "wildly premature", but then toyed with reporters, saying that if he felt he could "add value" to the state he "surely will consider" running.

There already are about a half-dozen Democrats seriously considering running for governor. The most likely is former Governor and current Attorney General Jerry Brown.

Both are strong advocates of same-sex marriage. And, if both decide to seek the nomination it would most certainly end a longtime friendship between the two.

Newsom gained statewide and national attention on February 12, 2004 when he instructed the San Francisco city clerk's office to begin issuing licenses to gay and lesbian couples. The California Supreme Court later ruled Newsom had acted illegally in granting the licenses.

(more)

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon08/03/032608new.htm

'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
Updated On: 3/26/08 at 09:40 PM
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Hey, his hair is looking less helmet-y in those photos.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#2
Posted: 3/26/08 at 10:25pm
I've probably said this already, but I'm SO TIRED of people (mostly Democrats) blaming Newsom for costing Kerry the election with his brave, "badly timed" action in granting same-sex marriage licenses in San Francisco.

There is never going to be a "right time" or an "easy time" for gay people to get our rights. Even if Hillary or Obama wins the election and the Democratic Congress retains its majorities, there's no way a marriage-equality law (or even a civil unions law) could quietly pass into being. It'll be fought all the way, with determined and organized opponents. And it doesn't matter that Newsom's initiative failed; if people like him don't continue to force the issues of gay marriage and equal rights in public forums, we'll never make any progress. They aren't going to listen to us unless we make them--in public, embarrassing ways.

Also, although it's great to have allies like Newsom, we need to stop looking for some "white knight" to rally behind. The sad fact is that neither Democrats nor Republicans really want the issue of marriage rights resolved. Democrats are content to attend our rallies, take our money, offer us bland and evasive reassurances, and abandon us until the next election cycle. Republicans (the delusional and masochistic Log Cabin group aside) are happy to keep pointing to us as examples of "moral decline" who are corrupting the next generation in order to squeeze votes out of evangelical pastors and church ladies. (If we disappeared, they'd have a much harder time raising money.) If we want our rights as equal human beings, we are going to have to win them for ourselves.
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#3
Posted: 3/27/08 at 8:04am
I love Scott Newsome and he would make a great Governor.

On a side note - it's kind of sad that Obama, four years ago , refused to have his picture taken with Mayor Newsome. This was right after the marriage incident, and Obama was running for Senate. Mayor Newsome was there to lend support so its kind of sad that Obama would shun him.

Former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown said:
“I gave a fundraiser, at his (Obama’s) request at the Waterfront restaurant, and he said to me, he would really appreciate it if he didn’t get his photo taken with my mayor. He said he would really not like to have his picture taken with Gavin.”

It's the little things that show the true character of a person - and this really shows who Obama is.

Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
Updated On: 3/27/08 at 08:04 AM
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#4
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:14am
Its Gavin by the way.

Yes, I remember the Obama incident. The Mayor had just legalized gay marriage and he was everywhere in the news. I guess Obama was too busy thinking of his career and how it would look when the day came when he ran for president. Obama is NO friend to the gay community and I would come closer voting for McCaine over Barak. I hope this is true and he runs for Gov.
'There are three sides to every story. My side, your side, and the truth. And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each one differently' -Robert Evans-
MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#5
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:38am
"Obama is NO friend to the gay community and I would come closer voting for McCaine over Barak."

What has McCain done to show that he's a friend to the gay community? Does he have a section about gay rights on his website? Has he talked about how homophobia isn't Christian in front of crowds? Does he support civil unions? Does he want to repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell? Is he for equal rights in the work place?
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#6
Posted: 3/27/08 at 11:07am
No but atleast I know what I am getting with McCaine. Obama claims he is a friend to the gay community but has anti gay radicals stump for him. He also says the bible tells him that being gay is wrong and he is all for civil unions but he says it in a way that makes it sound as if he is not wild about even that. Plus, he was to big of a coward to have his picture taken with then Mayor Of San Francisco because of the gay marriage issue? Puh-lease Barack! Say what you will about Hillary, but at least she is not afraid to march in gay prides parades and has made some efforts for gay rights.
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#7
Posted: 3/27/08 at 11:38am
Ridiculous. That's the same argument that people used when voting for Bush. "He may not be the most complex thinker, but at least I know where he stands." I'd rather have someone in office whose opinions on different issues are continuing to grow and change, thanks.

Also, let's not pretend like Hillary hasn't had her share of sketchy moments.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#8
Posted: 3/27/08 at 6:03pm
Obama is not "comfortable" with "the gays". This is more or less known by even the most loyal Obama supporters. I'm not saying Hillary is much better, but she is more friendly and has done more for gays than Obama and if she were to be President I am certain she would do far more than McCaine or Obama would.

MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#9
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:44pm
>Obama is not "comfortable" with "the gays".

If that's true, then it impresses me that he still spoke out about homophobia in Texas when he could've just as easily not bothered.
romantico
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#10
Posted: 3/27/08 at 11:01pm
Obama to LGBT Americans: The fight for your civil rights is a distraction

From a speech Obama made the other day in Medford OR

"We argue about gay marriage. You know, in the meantime the planet is, you know, potentially being destroyed. We've got a war that is bankrupting us. And we're going to argue about gay marriage? I mean, that doesn't make any sense."

Much has to do with Mr. McClurkin and Mr. Obama's refusal to apologize for the incident. It's felt by many that you don't let someone stand up on stage and speak on your behalf, while railing against the gay community, and then try to say that you don't agree with his views while using the "we have to speak with those we don't agree with to build a coalition" (paraphrase). Several people pointed out that you're not likely to see a member of the Ku Klux Klan on stage for Mr. Obama anytime soon, even though it's a fair bet that they disagree on many key points.

This Sums up my View on Obama pretty much

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid39485.asp
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
this has to be our time#11
Posted: 3/27/08 at 11:17pm
I quite agree with him that arguing about gay marriage is a waste of time. If someone would do the right thing and grant us marriage equality rights, we could all stop arguing about it, couldn't we?
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."