Who's Been Fired?

BobbyBubby Profile PhotoBobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who's Been Fired?#1
Posted: 3/18/08 at 6:33pm
So, I GOT FIRED TODAY! Whee. A mix of emotions so just curious...anyone been fired?
frogs_fan85 Profile Photofrogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#2
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:00pm
Sorry to hear that... and Bush thinks the economy is doing well and that the unemployment rate is going down. Good luck on the job search.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#3
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:07pm
I'm so sorry to hear that, Bobby. Good luck finding a new job.
Never been fired but every week my boss threatens to do so or acts like she will.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#4
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:17pm
Today is the 4th anniversary of me being laid off from a firm I worked at for 14 years. Talk about a bruised ego! My new firm is 100x better, and my work here is a lot more appreciated.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#5
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:21pm
Laid off right before Thanksgiving!
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Kitzarina Profile PhotoKitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#6
Posted: 3/18/08 at 7:35pm
I got fired because of another girl's mistakes. I was hired to take her old position after she was given a promotion in the company. After two months she was sucking it up, so they decided to move her back to her old job and give me the boot. No warning or anything--the boss just called me in and told me that I didn't need to come back after lunch. Needless to say, it sucked a lot.

Hope things get better for you Bobby!
"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"
humbugfoto Profile Photohumbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#8
Posted: 3/18/08 at 8:12pm
I was fired a while back, from a Jewish non-profit organization. They manufactured a reason to fire me, then postponed the firing until the day AFTER Thanksgiving because the department manager was to cowardly to do it herself (her assistant had to do it).

Then after they fired me they challenged my right to unemployment compensation and insisted on dragging me through three levels of judicial hearings, over the next six months, which all resulted in verdicts in my favor. I finally had to ask my mother's boss (wealthy, powerful member of the community) for help and whatever he said/did finally got them to stop.

Not one of the happier experiences of my life.
Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.
nmartin Profile Photonmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#9
Posted: 3/18/08 at 8:16pm
I have never been fired but I feel for you. Just don't give up and hang out with positive (hopefully, well-connected) people.
singingbackup Profile Photosingingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#10
Posted: 3/18/08 at 8:17pm
I was 're-engineered' (corporate speak for 'let go') 10 years ago from Universal Studios. No warning, no preparation, just 'clean out your desk by the end of the day' and here's your severance package. As I was well-liked by my department, it set everyone into shock and panic. "If he can be let go, we're all in trouble' which was some comfort, but it really did sting. I was doing a good job and was making money for the department, instead of spending it, when I was in marketing. There was an Elvis impersonator involved in the day..don't ask. :)
Stefrio
Swing
Swing
re: Who's Been Fired?#11
Posted: 3/18/08 at 8:31pm
Been on both sides of the fence. Got fired after I received an emergency call at work. I needed to leave the state and pick someone up. Left work and tried to drive back into town to work my Saturday shift. Couldn't see to drive and was exhausted at 4 am. Checked into a hotel and called my boss at 6AM and got the machine with a kids voice. Never called in sick before so I left a message. guess what wrong number. Was fired on the next day I was to report to work. Oh did I say it was Christmas? (Dumb moves of a 20 year old)

I was forced to fire one of my staff when he pulled a no show the day before Thanksgiving. He was hinting that he might be too late to report to work the previous week and didn't bother to call me to let me know he wasn't coming in.No show forced me to fire him. The thing was later he told me he knew I would but wanted to see if I really would do it. I was a mess for the rest of the day. Worse than when I was fired.

Thing is both of us moved on to better jobs. When interviewing, I explained that it was a wrong number. I had been there 2 years with no sick days. Most people interviewing me think that they were wrong in firing me and have not been rejected because of it.

Good luck in you search. Stay positive and don't bash the old guys.
LizzieCurry Profile PhotoLizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#12
Posted: 3/18/08 at 8:50pm
No warning, no preparation, just 'clean out your desk by the end of the day' and here's your severance package. As I was well-liked by my department, it set everyone into shock and panic. "If he can be let go, we're all in trouble' which was some comfort, but it really did sting.

Same here. That sucked.
"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who's Been Fired?#13
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:10pm
I've had the sudden firing, too. Only no severance package. After three years, working long hours, and dealing with some complete jerkoffs, I was let go.
colleen_lee Profile Photocolleen_lee Profile Photo
colleen_lee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#14
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:33pm
I was laid off due to company restructuring. Unfortunately, my job was as a property manager for a townhome complex and part of my compensation was the townhome I was living in. I was given less than two weeks to find a new apartment and move. BTW, it's really hard to find an apartment when you have no job...
"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Defying_Gravity_Girl Profile PhotoDefying_Gravity_Girl Profile Photo
Defying_Gravity_Girl
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#15
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:58pm
I was fired from a job once, only days before I was set to quit. The boss didn't even have the decency to fire me to my face. She called my mom to tell her. I cried for a minute, and then got pissed.

I'm sooooo glad I'm not in that job anymore.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

www.writersinlove.com
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#16
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:05pm
I've been fired three times in my life--once from a restaurant job and twice from theater jobs.

Sondra Lee (the original Tiger Lily in the Mary Martin "Peter Pan") told me that Jerome Robbins said this about getting fired: "It's a bitter pill to swallow, but you shIt it out the other end."

Here's hoping it passes quickly.
singingwendy Profile Photosingingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#17
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:10pm
I was working for a local non profit that pulled a "clean out your desk by the end of the day" to our executive director. Even had a board member stand there while she collected her stuff to make sure she didn't take anything they didn't want her to. And it was completely unexpected, as well as unfounded.

Needless to say, it threw the office into a tizzy and while we were all assured that our jobs were secure, most of started looking for new jobs, just to be safe, and I'll admit I was among them. I'd had a few interviews for other jobs, but had kept it completely quiet...and not said a word to anyone.

So...imagine my surprise when I was looking at a national publication for similar non-profits and saw MY job being posted! Needless to say, I was a little pissed! That was the straw that broke the camel's back, and they got my letter of resignation the next day.

However, the good news is that the day after I went to file for unemployment (figured I'd try for hostile work environment) I got a call to interview for a teaching position, and was teaching by the end of the week!
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#18
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:16pm
Bobby, were you fired or "laid off?"

Whatever it is, I'm sorry but I'm sure better things will come.

Does this mean we won't get CHUCKLES in the early morning hours?! re: Who's Been Fired?

Wait...that's not you with the jokes- that's Boobs...whoops. I must be getting sleepy.
"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
mattonstage Profile Photomattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Who's Been Fired?#17
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:40pm
I got fired on my day off, over the phone, on the day before my birthday. After 8 years with this company, they made up the silliest reason to fire me. They had previously fired about 6 other people with large salaries. That all happened in about a month's time. No severance. Just a goodbye. It was a video store that they closed down about 6 months later. 6 months after that I got a call in the middle of the night telling me that the alarm was going off. The store was closed for good and they were still paying he alarm company? Ridiculous! And my name was still on the top of the call list? Come on!

Best of luck Bobby!
I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!
BigFatBlonde Profile PhotoBigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#18
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:53pm
True story:

It was Halloween. My entire department was decorated and we all wore costumes. All of a sudden the lot of us are called into the main board room. The new Big Honcho was there and while we sat dressed like ghouls, clowns and fairies, he tells us the department is closed and we are all out of work.

We left the board room dragging our broomsticks, pumpkin pails and fairy wands. We returned to our cubicles and were faced with the irony of the large R.I.P head stones we had placed over each one.

It was so ludicrous. We all started to laugh and cry.

What great ones do the less will prattle of
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 11:53 PM
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Who's Been Fired?#19
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:57pm
It makes for a great story, though!

I was forced to resign from a job three years ago. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. I'd hated what I was doing, my hatred of the corporate nightmare I'd fallen into seeped into every aspect of my life and I really felt trapped. I floundered about for a little bit, then decided on a whim a few months later to move to another city and - more or less - I've never been happier.

I didn't even have a mix of emotions the day I went. As soon as I got called in that office I knew what was happening and I was already thinking, "Aces, I can sleep in tomorrow."

Updated On: 3/18/08 at 11:57 PM
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#20
Posted: 3/19/08 at 1:47am
Why does it matter that the firm was Jewish Humbugphoto? Why even mention it?? Think about it.
Updated On: 3/19/08 at 01:47 AM
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: Who's Been Fired?#21
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:03am
I thought that, too, but I didn't want to be the one to say it
Pippin Profile PhotoPippin Profile Photo
Pippin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#22
Posted: 3/19/08 at 2:13am
I feel ya ,Bobby. I just got laid off on Friday from my job, along with about half the organization, who have been laid off for a week. And I have less than $50 to my name right now.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 3/19/08 at 02:13 AM
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Who's Been Fired?#23
Posted: 3/19/08 at 8:44am
I've been fired three times. It seems these days a company will fire a person over nothing.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Mistress Overdone Profile PhotoMistress Overdone Profile Photo
Mistress Overdone
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Who's Been Fired?#24
Posted: 3/19/08 at 10:05am
I was actually laid off last week - I'd been working at a brand-new startup company for the last 5 months, and they're failing. So I was let go, and I'm struggling to find a new job now.

I feel your pain!