Anthony Minghella has died

MrMidwest Profile PhotoMrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Anthony Minghella has died#1
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:27am
Director Minghella dies aged 54

British film director Anthony Minghella has died at the age of 54, his agent has said.

Minghella, whose films include Truly, Madly, Deeply and Cold Mountain, was chairman of the British Film Institute.

In 1996, he won an Oscar for directing The English Patient and was also Oscar-nominated for writing the screenplay for 1999's The Talented Mr Ripley.

He has also directed a TV episode of book The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, due to be screened this Easter.

A 90-minute pilot, directed by Minghella and co-written with Richard Curtis, is due to be screened on BBC One.

Minghella began his career as a writer with his early radio plays winning several awards.

He made his first film, Truly, Madly, Deeply, in 1991, followed by The English Patient and The Talented Mr Ripley.

When he took on the role of chairman of the British Film Institute (BFI) in 2003, he told the BBC: "We're not getting enough movies made here, our studios aren't busy enough, we don't have enough studios.

"We're not good at lassoing the talent we have here and containing it within the British Isles, and we should all be working to address that."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7302841.stm
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#2
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:33am
This is a total shock. He was a brilliant director.
....but the world goes 'round
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#2
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:35am
A talented man, gone FAR too soon. Wow.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
gilliane Profile Photogilliane Profile Photo
gilliane
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Anthony Minghella has died#3
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:49am
That's so sad to hear. I never met him, but he was actually a friend of a friend, and a very nice guy.
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#4
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:51am
While I would never have wished him dead, I will never forget or forgive sitting through THE ENGLISH PATIENT or the bloated horror of COLD MOUNTAIN.

RIP, and all that.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
touchmeinthemorning
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#5
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:57am
I believe him to be a very important director, and one that people will look back on in 50 years and study.

How did he die? Has he been sick?
"Fundamentalism means never having to say 'I'm wrong.'" -- unknown
christhefish Profile Photochristhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#6
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:40am
I disagree Roscoe, I thought Cold Mountain was wonderful
*brina-doll* Profile Photo*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#7
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:49am
I agree that The English Patient and Cold Mountain are long films both are magnficant in my eyes. That's awful that he's gone so soon.
Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#8
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:26am
Not a fan of his movies--the wonderful TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY excepted--but, man, 54? That really is awful. Was it heart attack? Was he sick?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
gilliane Profile Photogilliane Profile Photo
gilliane
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: Anthony Minghella has died#9
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:47am
He was recovering from a routine operation, but died suddenly of a brain haemorrhage.
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#10
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:53am
I'm completely in shock about these news since he was one of my favorite directors/screenwriter. He was so wonderfully talented. THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is a masterpiece and one of my favorite films. He will be missed. Interestingly enough, he was working on the script for NINE (not sure if he had finished his work on it yet).
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
broadway86 Profile Photobroadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#11
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:59am
I can't believe it. RIP

I'm a huge fan of "The English Patient" and "Talented Mr. Ripley".
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#12
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:05pm
And, I didn't know this, but he was a major creative force behind the wonderful but short-lived JIM HENSON'S THE STORYTELLER.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
munkustrap178 Profile Photomunkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#13
Posted: 3/18/08 at 12:49pm
This is very tragic and very upsetting. I'm a big fan of his work, particularly THE ENGLISH PATIENT, COLD MOUNTAIN, and THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY.
"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
AC126748 Profile PhotoAC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#14
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:10pm
I cannot even fathom this news right now. In addition to being a top-notch film director, he was also a very talented playwright (I saw an evening of his short plays in New York about a year ago), and his production of MADAMA BUTTERFLY at the Met is breathtaking.

My last memory of him will be the audience at the Met erupting with "bravos" when he came out and bowed at the curtain call on the opening night of the BUTTERFLY revival this past October. Rest in peace.
"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 02:10 PM
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#15
Posted: 3/18/08 at 2:15pm
Definitely not what I was expecting to see when I woke up this morning. My heart goes out to his family.
"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#16
Posted: 3/19/08 at 3:58am
Unbelievably sad. The only film of his I have seen thus far is COLD MOUNTAIN but I really want to see THE ENGLISH PATIENT and BREAKING & ENTERING.
HorseTears Profile PhotoHorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#17
Posted: 3/19/08 at 4:07am
How sad. I don't care what you philistines say, Cold Mountain was a beautiful film. I loved every second of it.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#18
Posted: 3/19/08 at 4:09am
Agreed, although I haven't seen it since it came out.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#19
Posted: 3/19/08 at 5:34am
COLD MOUNTAIN and THE TALENTED MISTER RIPLEY are masterpieces. They're very different, but insanely good.

Now I gotta bust out Ripley and watch it in honor of his passing.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#20
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:15am
I'd forgive Minghella a lot if his films weren't so damn LONG and BORING. He takes such interesting stories and turns them into bloated overlong orgies of tedium.

COLD MOUNTAIN is a vast pile of excrement, beautifully photographed with a love story of appalling boredom at its core. Minghella manages to strip such appealing actors as Jude Law and Nicole Kidman of everything that made them interesting, turning them into living robots of boredom. A screaming nightmare of boredom and bad acting, with Renee Zellwegger demonstrating once and for all what the bastard lovechild of Granny Clampett and Popeye the Sailor Man would have been like.

THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY is Minghella's Guilt Trip for Gays, adapted from Patricia Highsmith's darkly witty and short novel. Aside from the pretty cinematography and the charms of Jude Law and Matt Damon, this is a movie about Gays Who Destroy The Boys They Love.

THE ENGLISH PATIENT. God in heaven. Notable mainly for Juliette Binoche's astounding beauty and Minghella's apparent lack of interest in getting any energy into his storytelling.
"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
MrMidwest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#21
Posted: 3/19/08 at 9:55am
"Interestingly enough, he was working on the script for NINE (not sure if he had finished his work on it yet)."

I thought Michael Tolkin was writing it? Were they collaborating together, or is Tolkin off the project?
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#22
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:11am
I'm with you all the way, Roscoe, but rest in peace Anthony.
Roscoe
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#23
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:13am
Yes, indeed, RIP Anthony Minghella.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Anthony Minghella has died#24
Posted: 3/19/08 at 1:46pm
re: Anthony Minghella has died

Trust me, Roscoe...you need to see this.