Page: 1

Nov 08: McCain wins Florida/ No new vote for Florida

The Boy From Ohio Profile PhotoThe Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't get it. If MI. can figure out a new primary, so should FL. I'd be very unhappy with my representatives for making such a mess of this. With many of them possibly up for re-election, they are making a huge mistake. Maybe they can still work something out.
9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
The Boy From Ohio Profile PhotoThe Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I guess not alot. Why am I not surprised that Sen. Obama might be part of the hold up.
9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's disgusting what has happened. And Florida will likely repay the DNC the respect they have been given by voting GOP. Or abstaining.
YouWantitWhen???? Profile PhotoYouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The shame is that most of this mess can be blamed on the Florida GOP.

This is exactly what Crist wants to happen.
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"It's disgusting what has happened. And Florida will likely repay the DNC the respect they have been given by voting GOP. Or abstaining."

I know that Florida is a national joke when it comes to voting but I don't think that the people in the state are stupid. When the actual election comes around no one is going to be thinking about the DNC or the Florida GOP. The people will be thinking about what's best for them and for the country. I doubt that delegates will be on anyone's mind.
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
We can hope that. But given that Florida has been such a close swing state (rigged elections or not), this can not help the Dems.

I want Florida to vote again because I feel like it will decide this primary once and for all. If Hillary retains her win, then she surely deserves to be the nominee. If Barack reverses her win and the polling, he definitely deserves to be the nominee.
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"When the actual election comes around no one is going to be thinking about the DNC or the Florida GOP. The people will be thinking about what's best for them and for the country. I doubt that delegates will be on anyone's mind."

If one of the candidates actually fights to keep the delegation from being seated and is successful, and if that candidate becomes the nominee, then that could cause key swing voters in this state to vote for the GOP. And don't think that McCain won't take advantage of that.

Basically if whoever the nominee is doesn't do everything they can to make sure the Florida vote counts - they can kiss this key state goodbye. Personally, I think I would vote Democrat no matter what because I know how important this ecetion is, but I certainly wouldn't campaign for anyone who worked hard to keep my primary vote from counting.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Marc, that is definitely a more exact scenario of the issue. Thank you.
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Basically if whoever the nominee is doesn't do everything they can to make sure the Florida vote counts - they can kiss this key state goodbye."

Uh .. don't you think that they will all work to make sure the Florida vote (and the votes in every other state) counts?
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 09:17 AM
South Fl Marc Profile PhotoSouth Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Uh .. don't you think that they will all work to make sure the Florida vote (and the votes in every other state) counts?"

No, I don't.

The way things are going it looks like there will be no revote and that whether or not the Florida delegates are seated will be decided right before the convention. If things are as close as it looks , then it is entirely possible that the Florida delegate count could decide who has more delegates and by adding in the actual vote count, who has more of the popular vote. If this is the case I could see Hillary, who is already pushing that the Florida vote be counted, insisting on the delegates be seated. I could also see Obama fighting it.

The sad part about this is the problem was caused by the Republican legislature and Governor of Florida not by the Democrats. The Republicans must be congratulating themselves on a job well done. Howard Dean fell very neatly into their trap by being a petty , little man in the way he handled the situation.

At this point I don't see how a redo would work, especially since it would have to have the cooperation of the Republican controlled legislature. They can make all the statements they need to to say that the Democratic vote should count and then block any changes in the law to make it work.

This is a real mess and unless both the candidates are smart, I don't see a way out that will make everyone happy.
Now living in DC. I really have to change my name on the board.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Illinois has decided to send twice as many delegates as previously elected. The new delegates will all be Obama delegates. If Clinton wanted to participate she should have done so when we held the secret election for additional delegates. If these Obama super super delegates aren't seated Illinois will absolutely vote Republican in November and guarantee the election of McCain. Just because we can. Got that?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
fighting illini for bammy#13
Posted: 3/18/08 at 1:58pm
i love illini!
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective