CNN calls TX for Hillary!
smartpenguin78 Profile Photosmartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#3
Posted: 3/5/08 at 12:58am
Huge night for Clinton.
I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#4
Posted: 3/5/08 at 1:01am
Wow.

re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary
Updated On: 3/5/08 at 01:01 AM
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#5
Posted: 3/5/08 at 1:52am
"Clinton picked up at least 100 delegates in Ohio, Rhode Island, Vermont and Texas, while Obama picked up at least 77. Nearly 200 delegates were still to be awarded, including 163 in Texas.

Obama had a total of 1,466 delegates, including separately chosen party and elected officials known as superdelegates, according to the Associated Press count. He picked up three superdelegate endorsements Tuesday,

Clinton had 1,376 delegates. It will take 2,025 delegates to secure the Democratic nomination."
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#6
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:56pm
"(CNN) — Illinois Sen. Barack Obama has won the Texas Democratic caucuses and will get more delegates out of the state than his rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton, who won the state's primary, according to CNN estimates.

Under the Texas Democratic Party's complex delegate selection plan, Texas voters participated in both a primary and caucuses on March 4. Two-thirds of the state's 193 delegates were at stake at the primary, while the remaining third were decided by the caucuses.

An additional 35 superdelegates were not tied to either contest. Clinton, of New York, defeated Obama in the primary by a 51-47 percent margin. But results of the caucuses were up in the air on election night and for several days afterward, due to state party rules that did not require local caucus officials to report their results to a centralized location.

Partial caucus results, representing 41 percent of all caucus precincts, showed Obama last week with 56 percent of the county-level delegates chosen at the caucuses to 44 percent for Clinton. The state party says it will not be able to provide a further breakdown of the caucus results from March 4.

After a comprehensive review of these results, CNN estimates that Obama won more support from Texas caucus-goers than Clinton. Based on the state party's tally, Obama's caucus victory translates into 38 national convention delegates, compared to 29 for Clinton.

And though Clinton won more delegates than Obama in the primary, 65 to 61, Obama's wider delegate margin in the caucuses gives him the overall statewide delegate lead, 99 to 94 — or once superdelegate endorsements are factored in, 109 to 106."
Obama actually wins Texas
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#7
Posted: 3/12/08 at 6:47am
....but the world goes 'round
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#8
Posted: 3/12/08 at 8:07am
From the article:

===

The overall delegate tally in Texas is tied at 92, pending the outcome of the remaining nine delegates from the caucuses.

Meanwhile, frustrated county chairmen are trying to be patient with volunteer precinct officials swamped by the turnout. They were figuring out Tuesday which precincts mistakenly sent their results to the state rather than the county and why dozens haven't contacted them at all.

Williamson County Democratic Chairman Richard Torres was still missing results from 33 precincts. "I've been on the phone, calling people trying to get the 33," Torres said. "I think we're going to have to search 'em out now."

Houston's 857 precinct results are still coming in, said Harris County Democratic chairman Gerald Birnberg. The count has been slowed because precinct convention chairmen ran out of official sign-in sheets, so they tore "Democrats Vote Here" signs off the wall and scrawled the preferences of caucus-goers in long hand. Birnberg said a dozen workers have put in 12-hour days since March 4 just making sure the paperwork was right, without even counting the votes yet in the state's largest city.

In Hidalgo County, a border stronghold for Clinton, the count has been stymied because Democratic chairman Juan Maldonado changed his cell phone number after losing re-election and wasn't available for several days at his business, a bail-bond office that also offers state teacher certification.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#9
Posted: 3/12/08 at 8:32am
Last night, the pundits on both CNN and Fox News were stating that Obama's win in the caucuses more than offset Clinton's win in the primary. Don't know what their sources were, and everywhere I look, everyone seems to have differing delegate counts.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#10
Posted: 3/12/08 at 8:48am
What a messed-up system.

When a race is this close, we all get to see just how stupid things are set up and run.

These systems may have made sense to people back in 1913, and during easy-to-call nominations, but it's time to change to a TRUE democratic voting process and cut these archaic and outright bizarre practices.

Super delegates, parallel caucuses indeed.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Luscious Profile PhotoLuscious Profile Photo
Luscious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#11
Posted: 3/12/08 at 8:55am
Here, here, best12bars! I second that motion.
Express Yourself!
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#12
Posted: 3/12/08 at 8:55am
I know it will seem that I am only biased, but the fact is that the caucuses in Texas were more messed up than Ohio in 04 and Florida in 00. I don't doubt that Obama may indeed have truly won the TX caucus. He's won almost every caucus in the race. But, as best12 described it, these situations are terrible and put doubt in voters' minds. It's entirely possible that when all the votes are counted, IF it's even possible to get the TRUE caucus vote, that Hillary won that, too.

It doesn't make sense to me that one person wins one kind of vote and another wins the other--esp when people can vote in both.

If they can take off from work that is.
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#13
Posted: 3/12/08 at 9:05am
The bottom line is that we're NOT a democracy. Isn't that cute? It was proven to us in the presidential election with Al Gore vs. W, when Gore won the popular vote... but not the election.

And we're seeing candidates win state primaries now, who didn't win the popular vote.

The popular vote sure is unpopular in our "democratic" society.
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: MSNBC calls Texas for Hillary#14
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:18am
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#15
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:21am
can we get some signs proclaiming hillary as the "real" winner since she won the popular vote? how about some pics of her with al gore where they bopth look like someone just picked their pockets? i love that the "democrats" are so very undemocratic. good for the party!

i wonder if bammy's campaign has looked into whether or not they can find a way to have caucuses for the general election? who needs voting when you can have bullying and exclusionary tactics? bammy '08, baby.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#16
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:24am
no, big daddy mambo '08!
....but the world goes 'round
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#17
Posted: 3/12/08 at 12:26pm
It really is a fascinating irony.

Some of the same people who lambasted the 2000 election results/the electoral college are probably the same ones comprising their earlier views to favor Obama.

And as a sidenote, if everyone is so certain that this country wants Obama to be the nominee and not Hillary, let's DO have a revote in Michigan and Florida. Let's see if he's truly the frontrunner in this race.

Because as of right now, if you include those two states, Hillary is ahead in the popular vote and possibly delegates.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#18
Posted: 3/12/08 at 2:00pm
they expect the totals from texas' caucus on
march 29th

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#19
Posted: 3/12/08 at 2:17pm
suprise suprise, the person with more name recognition won the states that no one campaigned it, SHOCK OF ALL SHOCKS
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#20
Posted: 3/12/08 at 2:35pm
"let's DO have a revote in Michigan and Florida. Let's see if he's truly the frontrunner in this race."
Tell that to the Members of Florida’s Democratic Delegation in the U.S. House of Representatives
Updated On: 3/12/08 at 02:35 PM
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#21
Posted: 3/12/08 at 5:24pm
One man. One vote.

Unless it's really close and we don't like the way you voted, and then we get to bring in super delegates, electoral colleges, hanging chads and totally negate the democracy.

Yeah, right. One man, one vote.
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#22
Posted: 3/12/08 at 5:34pm
unless you're black. then you get 3/5 of a vote. whoa, if blondie remembers that she could fight for a repeal of the 14th. boy would bammy be in trouble then!

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photoson_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#23
Posted: 3/12/08 at 7:10pm
Well if we are going to go that far back we might as well repeal the 19th amendment and then Hilltopper will be screwed.

In all seriousness, I hope the whole mess this close election has caused will result in the rewriting of voting rules in many states.
My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...
Updated On: 3/12/08 at 07:10 PM
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
how to win, but not really win a state#24
Posted: 3/12/08 at 8:27pm
It's hard to feel like we really have a voice anymore. And several close races have really put it into the spotlight.

We're all just a "consensus opinion" taken upon advisement by a group of self-appointed elders who will do what they want to anyway.

Welcome to the not-so-democratic democracy that our forefathers fought and died for!

Hurray! Yay, America! Land of the kinda-free!