The Amazing Sportmanship Of Cate Blanchett

esparza 333
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
If you notice this past sunday when Cate lost both of her oscars to Tilda Swinton and Marion Cotillard She still was happy. Unlike Ruby dee when Tilda won Cate just gave a huge smile and cheered. And when Marion won Cate was so ecstatic she seemed to have won herself.
Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Brits don't take themselves so seriously and she already has one...Ruby will never have another chance.

Meryl was really happy when Cher won too--love watching that clip.
esparza 333
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Also Queen Latifah was so happy when Catherine Zeta Jones won.
Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.
D2 Profile PhotoD2 Profile Photo
D2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As was Lauren Bacall when Juliette Binoche...

...oh, wait a minute.

Never mind.
Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Emma Thompson seemed almost more happy when Susan Sarandon won when Thompson was also nominated then when she herself had won a few years earlier.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
bestinshow2 Profile Photobestinshow2 Profile Photo
bestinshow2
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
She's an Aussie, not a Brit.
"My name's Lenny. What's yours?"

Mrs Mangel  Profile PhotoMrs Mangel  Profile Photo
Mrs Mangel
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You beat me to it- not exactly the same thing.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Aussies don't either then...except Russell.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Close enough.

ETA: It's like saying Nicole's an Aussie. She was born in Hawai'i.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Updated On: 2/27/08 at 04:55 PM
verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Perhaps Ruby Dee is related to Kanye West? Okay that's a bad joke.

You don't get nominated for an Oscar and not expect to win at all. Being nominated will get your hopes up..and it's such an honor to win.
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually, Nicole and Cate won't compare at all. Nevermind.

I love seeing Hattie McDonald's acceptance speech.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wasn't Cate nominated last years as well? I seem to remember her saying that it was Jennifer Hudson's night, and she had already won one anyway.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sigh. But last year Blanchett, or Adriana Barraza, SHOULD have won.

Updated On: 2/27/08 at 05:08 PM
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I love everything about Cate. Starting with her talent, right on down to her general outlook on the whole "Hollywood" thing. And I agree she shares this with Meryl Streep. To them the Oscars are a big party to celebrate each other's work. They're wonderful, silly, puffed-up, overwhelming and also FUN. I think Jack Nicholson feels the same way to.

Probably why those three are at the top of their game. They don't "choke" on their talent or on the art. They enjoy being "human" about it, even though they take their work very seriously. I know, it sounds easy, right? And it probably is, when there aren't a billion people staring at you when they call out your name or someone else's.

Then it's pretty damn impressive.

How many people can you say you enjoy watching lose? Most are polite, some are stone-faced, and some even are indignant. All are awkward. All, but a rare few who like to see somebody else's dream fulfilled just as much as their own.
"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Very well put, best.

lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I probably would have voted for her last year too--but my firts choice was Catherine O'Hara...sigh...

You know best, alot of the Greats don't take the Oscars so seriously--Woody, Kate, Glenda Jackson, Maggie...I think they have the confidence that rises above the satisfaction winning an Oscar gives them.

When Jack won for CUCKOO'S NEST, he thanked his agent by saying the the man had told him he had no business in the acting profession--I think Jack is rather amused by his extraordinary career path from Corman to Kubrick, Scorcese and Antonioni.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Eddie Murphy was pretty happy for Alan Arkin when he won.
mominator Profile Photomominator Profile Photo
mominator
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Tilda Swinton looked totally shocked (Like "Oh god, I don't have a speech!")
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't admire Blanchett as much as everyone else, but I do love her off-screen persona, she always comes off as humble, exciting, and intelligent. Last year when one of the dumb red carpet reporters asked if she was excited about the possibility of winning, she just said "this is Jennifer Hudson's year, it's such a great performance" or something to that effect. She's classy but never snobby or boring.
I loved her reaction when Marion Cotillard won.
And I LOOOOOOOOVE seeing the clip from the year Cher won, simply because Meryl Streep (who was nominated) jumped off her seat and seemed sooo thrilled.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I laugh too when i think of Whoopi's reaction before the winner was announced for the 85 Oscars: F Murray said "I consider this woman the greatest actress in the English language" before calling Geraldine to the stage--Whoopi seems to be thinking "Well, he's not talking about ME!"
TheActr97J Profile PhotoTheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
b12b- That is the exact reason I love people like Meryl, Cate, Julianne Moore, and Laura Linney. They are ACTRESSES, who just happen to be movie stars. They're all about the work.
"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

MTVMANN Profile PhotoMTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Cate will be nominated MANY more times and will win AT LEAST once more.

Ruby Dee probably will not ever be......
BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree about the real greats not taking it too seriously, and prefer to care about the work....That's why I LOVED the part of Emma Thompson's speeach when she won her first Oscar (and this was when she was relatively unknown!)where she thanked Ismail Merchant for paying her and then saying that it seems rather unnecassery at the moment and she might have to give back the money..... LOL Her quirky sense of humor is the best.
"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
BwayLover Profile PhotoBwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Oh and don't get me started on Jennifer Hudson winning last year. UGH.
"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Having FINALLY watched Notes on a Scandal, I have to agree that she deserved it last year. I loved Hudson, but she was SUPERB! It's also one of the best scripts ever. Oh, and Dench wasnt too shabby, either.

I'm very glad that Dee didnt win, as I hate "lifetime acheivement" awards given out in acting categories. She's a great actress, but simply didnt deserve it. I would've been happy if any of the other four won, but I've loved Swinton since "Orlando" and glad she was recognized.
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS