The superdelegates start flipping

StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The superdelegates start flipping#1
Posted: 2/15/08 at 1:09am
"Clinton Superdelegate Defects to Obama: "I'm Not That Important to Them"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/beverly-davis/clinton-superdelegate-def_b_86750.html

AND, another:

Representative John Lewis, an elder statesman from the civil rights era and one of Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton’s most prominent black supporters, said Thursday night that he planned to cast his vote as a superdelegate for Senator Barack Obama in hopes of preventing a fight at the Democratic convention.

“In recent days, there is a sense of movement and a sense of spirit,” said Mr. Lewis, a Georgia Democrat who endorsed Mrs. Clinton last fall. “Something is happening in America, and people are prepared and ready to make that great leap.”

Mr. Lewis, who carries great influence among other members of Congress, disclosed his decision in an interview in which he said that as a superdelegate he could “never, ever do anything to reverse the action” of the voters of his district, who overwhelmingly supported Mr. Obama.

“I’ve been very impressed with the campaign of Senator Obama,” Mr. Lewis said. “He’s getting better and better every single day.”

It looks like Clinton really DOES need to win both Texas and Ohio
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The superdelegates start flipping#2
Posted: 2/15/08 at 10:20am
"(CNN) – Is he or isn’t he? The New York Times reported Thursday night that Rep. John Lewis, the civil rights movement veteran and Democratic congressional leader who endorsed Hillary Clinton’s presidential bid last year, was switching his superdelegate vote to Barack Obama.

Within hours, according to the Washington Post, his spokeswoman Brenda Jones said the story — and an earlier Associated Press report that the Georgia congressman was considering the move — had been "observations, not statements of preference."

The New York Times had also reported that Lewis had not yet endorsed Obama, and would make a decision on that within a few days.

As of early Friday, there had been no comment from the congressman himself on either report.

“In recent days, there is a sense of movement and a sense of spirit,” Lewis said in the Times story, which was published on the paper’s Web site Thursday night. “Something is happening in America, and people are prepared and ready to make that great leap.”

The Times also quoted Lewis as saying that he hoped to prevent a potentially bloody battle over the nomination, and that if the two sides were seeking “a mediator, a negotiator or a peacemaker, I’d be happy to step in…I don’t want to see Mrs. Clinton damaged or Mr. Obama damaged.”"
Report: Lewis backing Obama?
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
DBillyP Profile PhotoDBillyP Profile Photo
DBillyP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The superdelegates start flipping#2
Posted: 2/15/08 at 12:26pm
The way I read the story, Congressman Lewis simply is responding to the will of the people. While I am disappointed that his support may not stay with Senator Clinton, I admire that he is paying attention to what the people who elected him want.
"I am open, and I am willing, For to be hopeless would seem so strange. It dishonors those who go before us, So lift me up to the light of change." Holly Near
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The superdelegates start flipping#3
Posted: 2/15/08 at 12:45pm
He simply pledged his support too soon. Now that they see Obama doing well despite the Clinton organization, they want to be on the winning team.

Sophia: Make way for the victors!
Rose: We won?
Sophia: No, we lost and we all changed our name to Victor.
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The superdelegates start flipping#4
Posted: 2/15/08 at 12:49pm
FLIP! FLOP! FLIP! FLOP!

They were for Hillary Clinton before they were against her!!
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: The superdelegates start flipping#5
Posted: 2/15/08 at 1:17pm
¡Cuidado! ¡Es La Diabla!
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The superdelegates start flipping#6
Posted: 2/15/08 at 1:41pm
I blame Hilary.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The superdelegates start flipping#7
Posted: 2/15/08 at 1:45pm
The superdelegates should go with their state. Obama won Georgia handily, so it's only right that Lewis should follow suit.
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The superdelegates start flipping#8
Posted: 2/15/08 at 1:51pm
But aren't the rules deliberately structured to give these superdelegates the latitude to use their own judgement? Obama is looking very presidential and very electable right now, while Hillary is floundering. Shouldn't these superdelegates do what's best for the party? Of course, they don't need to do anything right now, but unless Hillary can do something dramatic on March 4th, it's difficult to see them going her way.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
pab Profile Photopab Profile Photo
pab
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: The superdelegates start flipping#9
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:23pm
"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"