Page: 1

The USA is Titanic and Bush is the Iceberg: Bush unveils $3.1 trillion spending plan

Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080204/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_budget_49

WASHINGTON - President Bush unveiled a $3.1 trillion budget on Monday that supports sizable increases in military spending to fight the war on terrorism and protects his signature tax cuts.

The spending proposal, which shows the government spending $3 trillion in a 12-month period for the first time in history, squeezes most of government outside of national security, and also seeks $196 billion in savings over the next five years in the government's giant health care programs — Medicare for the elderly and Medicaid for the poor.

Even with those savings, Bush projects that the deficits, which had been declining, will soar to near-record levels, hitting $410 billion this year and $407 billion in 2009. The all-time high deficit in dollar terms was $413 billion in 2004.

Democrats attacked Bush's final spending plan as a continuation of this administration's failed policies which wiped out a projected 10-year surplus of $5.6 trillion and replaced it with a record buildup in debt.

(more via link above)
"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
Updated On: 2/4/08 at 10:41 AM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Seriously.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Damn those tax-cut-and-spend Republicans!

The Republican Party is the party of fiscal irresponsibility!
Updated On: 2/4/08 at 10:51 AM
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'd love to know if this comment "Bush projects that the deficits, which had been declining, will soar to near-record levels" was a genius quote of his or not.

How much of a brainiac do you have to be to predict that his own spending it going to make our deficit soar?

That's like a murderer getting on the stand and saying that he believes his actions will prohibit future life from his victim
RENTingFAME Profile PhotoRENTingFAME Profile Photo
RENTingFAME
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ow. My life hurts.
Measure your life in love, RENTheads, and keep it always in your heart.

Avatar: Me with Al Larson, Jonathan Larson's father.
Mr Roxy Profile PhotoMr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Everyone in washinton is guilty as both parties are addicted to spending. Pandering is the norm in Washington.

Votes are always sold to the highest bidder.
Poster Emeritus
JustAGuy Profile PhotoJustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Who bought your vote, Roxy? Oh...never mind...I forgot you don't bother.
"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Are you defending this kind of spending and the, dare I say, idiocy of Bush's commentary about the deficit?

The economy and this country are already bleeding dry. Bush, with this latest budget clearly wants to leave his permanent mark in history as the president who did everything he could to make it impossible to recover.

Perhaps he knows there's no way a republican will be voted into office comes november and this way, the republicans can blame the democrats for the next 4 years of no prosperity in this country.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Bush has done more damage to this country both foreign and domestically than any other president. Whoever takes office in January will be forced to wipe up a flood with a q-tip
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Al Queda can only kill us. Bush makes me wish I were dead.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Listen, by now we should know that when confronted with irrefutable facts of the utterly venal nature of George W. Bush and examples of the horrendous damage his presidency has done to the country, Roxy will trot out the old "ALL politicians are just as bad!" line.

He and Goth perpetuate the "Everybody's horrible but only the liberals deserve ridicule" trope. They mock anybody who would actually try to work for improvement because to their way of looking at things, it's doomed to failure. If somebody presents a plan that might bring a 75% improvement to a given problem, they point out the remaining 25% as proof of failure. They absolutely can not see that positive change is progressive in their all-or-nothing worldview.

This allows them to stay comfy and stagnant, and selfishly abdicate the notion of concern for others, as human beings.

Roxy makes such a big noise about not voting but he tells the Mrs how to vote and she does as she's told.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Craig,

I'm trying to determine when the MD General Assembly is going to hold a public hearing on a bill that impacts my condo association. In reviewing the legislative process at the state level, I noted three distinct differences from the federal counterpart. Gotta admit I prefer the way it's done in my state versus in the US Congress.

1. MD law prohibits any “omnibus bill”, budget-related or otherwise. It’s much more easy to hide those earmarks in a be-all end-all proposal.
2. MD requires a balanced budget, i.e. no deficit spending. The $3.11 trillion budget proposed by you-know-who earlier today is a complete joke.
3. The MD Governor may not veto the budget bill. I’d like nothing more than to see the Chief Executive stripped of this power as well.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 2/4/08 at 03:20 PM
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I just realized (in another thread) how much Bush also reminds me of the movie Brewster's Millions.

It's as if GW thinks he can spend a few trillion before he leaves office, he'll get a few gazillion in retirement.