An infuriating article about Hilary

gertiecummings Profile Photogertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
An infuriating article about Hilary#1
Posted: 2/1/08 at 1:09am
Why Hilary won't vogue for Vogue

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lesley-m-m-blume/why-hillary-wont-vogue-f_b_82895.html

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a woman become President, but not one who is afraid of looking "too feminine". Why is it that you have to be either frumpy and smart or fashionable and stupid? I thought this mentality was what our society was trying to get away from. I consider myself a feminist, but that doesn't mean I don't love clothes and shoes and hair and make-up. And the responses to this article make me sick! Have these people ever even read a copy of Vogue? It is about more than just fashion. It also does a lot of great articles on the art scene (visual and performing) and the political scene. And Anna Wintour's response in Time Magazine was great: "This is America. Not Saudi Arabia."

I could barely write this because I am shaking I am so angry!!!

Obama '08!!!
Urban Profile PhotoUrban Profile Photo
Urban
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hilary#2
Posted: 2/1/08 at 2:28am
I am not sure if I understand you. Are you upset at Hillary because of somebody elses opinion on her?
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hilary#2
Posted: 2/1/08 at 5:36am
""The notion that a contemporary woman must look mannish in order to be taken seriously as a seeker of power is frankly dismaying," she says in her editor's letter. "Margaret Thatcher may have looked terrific in a blue power suit, but that was 20 years ago. I do think Americans have moved on from the power-suit mentality, which served as a bridge for a generation of women to reach boardrooms filled with men."

In a perfect world this would be true. But it's not a perfect world and the sad fact is that Ms. Clinton can't afford to appear too feminine. A poll conducted just before the primaries asked 'aside from the current candidates, if the election were held today, do you think you would vote for any black man or any woman? A small majority said that they would be able to vote for a black man but they couldn't see themselves ever voting for a woman. ANY woman.

It's a pathetic fact - but Hillary was right.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 2/1/08 at 05:36 AM
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hilary#3
Posted: 2/1/08 at 5:43am
I'm sure that fluctuates depending on what part of the country you are polling.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hilary#4
Posted: 2/1/08 at 5:49am
It was a country-wide poll. I agree with what you say and I'm sure that many have changed their views since the campaigning has heated up (at least I hope so!) but the fact is that there are a LOT of people out there with minds set back in the dark ages. The fight to get delegates is critical and she has to do everything she can to get the majority of those delegates. It's crappy - but that's politics.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Updated On: 2/1/08 at 05:49 AM
Wanna Be A Foster Profile PhotoWanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hilary#5
Posted: 2/1/08 at 7:26am
I agree with you, Mamie. Unfortunately, we have NOT come so far that a woman can afford to look overly fashionable and feminine without appearing submissive and powerless.

The Editor of "Vogue" needs to get with it.

gertiecummings, perhaps you could spell the Senator's name right if you want some credibility.
"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
ahmelie Profile Photoahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
How could this infuriate you? Hillary's just being smart. She's absolutely right, she *can't* afford to look too feminine.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley
Updated On: 2/1/08 at 07:49 AM
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hilary#7
Posted: 2/1/08 at 8:26am
Eh. I think she looks fine.

No one wonders if Obama looks too masculine or not, do they?

Gertie, I'm glad you consider yourself a feminist. In my day, y'know, when feminism was INVENTED, the gals thought it would be a good idea to look BEYOND clothes.
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: An infuriating article about Hilary#8
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:00am
Is it really about looking too feminine or unprofessional? To me, what men are required to wear in the workplace is usually a lot more rigid and formal than what women get away with. Any place I've ever worked has always had a very strange and implicit double standard for men and women when it comes to dress. Men would have to wear a shirt and women would come bounding in in stretch pants and a long button down shirt.
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#9
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:03am
I had to add the extra "l."

That's all.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#10
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:17am
I know--THAT was even more infuriating than Gertie's post.

Anyone a fan of Getting Gertie's Garter?

re: An infuriating article about Hillary
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#11
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:24am
"You're five minutes late. Take off that lipstick, Take that hat off, How dare you wear those shoes!"

She looks best in a suit I think--her shape is fine but she's a bit boxy and needs something structured...just avoid anything backless.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#12
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:30am

"In this month's Vogue, Editor in Chief Anna Wintour expressed astonishment and chagrin that presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton declined to appear the fashion magazine's pages, for "fear of looking too feminine."

From reading that, it looks like the quote may be coming from Wintour and not necessarily Clinton.

" I consider myself a feminist, but that doesn't mean I don't love clothes and shoes and hair and make-up."

Dear God, gertie, I'm the biggest glamour whore on the planet and even I thought the notion that feminists can't be feminine went out the window decades ago. And so what if Hillary doesn't LOVE those things? Does it necessarily mean she's a "frump?" She's no fashion plate, but then again she's aspiring to a more important position than editor of a fashion magazine. I think she looks classy and well put together. And I'll bet one of her suits costs more than an entire year of your wardrobe.

Updated On: 2/1/08 at 10:30 AM
javero Profile Photojavero Profile Photo
javero
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#13
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:46am

Christina Fernandez de Kirchner, President, Former First Lady and Senator of Argentina.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 2/1/08 at 10:46 AM
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#14
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:51am
C'mon girls! Be dressy! Be frilly! Be glamourous! Be WOMEN, for Chrissakes! How do you expect us to take you seriously?

I wonder if Gertie is still "shaking"...
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
JailyardGuy Profile PhotoJailyardGuy Profile Photo
JailyardGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#15
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:54am

Ukranian Prime Minister, Yuliya Tymoshenko.

Suzanne: I never use catalogs. I'd rather go in the store and see all the salespeople groveling and sucking up to you. Julia: Pardon me, I never knew they were so solicitous at the K-Mart.
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#16
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:55am
Isn't she a little old for the Heidi 'do?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#17
Posted: 2/1/08 at 10:58am
"Christina Fernandez de Kirchner, President, Former First Lady and Senator of Argentina."

Who looks strangely like Patti LuPone.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#18
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:01am
Did the Ukranian president just came back from the ice planet of Hoth?
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
JailyardGuy Profile PhotoJailyardGuy Profile Photo
JailyardGuy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#19
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:04am

ok, that totally made me LOL, but come ON, she's CUTE!!!!

Suzanne: I never use catalogs. I'd rather go in the store and see all the salespeople groveling and sucking up to you. Julia: Pardon me, I never knew they were so solicitous at the K-Mart.
Updated On: 2/1/08 at 11:04 AM
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#20
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:06am
You know what? Hilary Clinton could wear Next season's Prada or a flour sack- it doesn't matter. Someone will be OUTRAGED- OUTRAGED!!!!!- by whatever she does. And of course they will call her ugly, or fat or flat chested or whatever. Hate doesn't need to be logical.

Go on You Tube and listen to those Fox-ers wax poetic about handsome, sexy Fred Thompson and you'll feel better.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#21
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:06am

Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo: Nobody's talking about HER shoe collection.

Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#22
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:10am
Those shoulder pads make excellent impromptu cheese graters. Always resourceful!
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#23
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:13am

She really likes 'em.

robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: An infuriating article about Hillary#24
Posted: 2/1/08 at 11:14am
Remember when she showed the tiniest bit of cleavage and everyone when BONKERS?

I just wanted to say, 'They're breasts, mama, and every woman has them.'

And, actually, so do some Republican Presidential candidates.
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."