Why do you consider yourself entitled to.....?

Craig Profile PhotoCraig Profile Photo
Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Ok. Let me preface this by saying that this is not directed to any ONE specifically, nor is it specific to any particular incident. After many discussions with peers, I thought it might be an interesting discussion (which we've had in various forms here before).

So here goes. Why do the younger generations specfically (I would estimate those currently under 30) have a level or expectation of entitlement?

Not to say it's exclusive to the younger generations - but I'd say it's definitely more prevalant.

Some examples:

Graduating and expecting an unrealistically high salary?

Having a job but not respecting your superiors, coming in late consistantly, and having an overall lack of initiative - while at the same time expecting a raise or to be promoted "just because"

Expecting discounts for theater or other events because you are a student, unemployed, etc

Just some examples.

Does living in the information age where everything you'd ever want to know is a search box away contribute or cause this "new" behavior amongst the age group I've outlined? And with all the information available at ones fingertips, why then does it seem that people of all ages are even more lazy to actually use the technology at hand and want others to spoon feed them what they seek?

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The current generation is the first to come along without any hardships.

Both parents work, thereby guaranteeing an easy lifestyle. With both parents working, the parents don't have time for the children and instead of showing them attention, shower them with things. Because the children are given things they don't have to earn, they develop a sense of entitlement.
If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't know brothah, but I have a 20 year-old in the house and boy, did you get that right!

He stays without paying rent, doesn't do any housework, and spends the day sleeping and then goes to hook up with some daddy...and he doesn't seem to think this is a problem.

doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
kick him out!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I bet most of us here can predict which under-30 posters will jump in with how "different" they are than their peers.
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The current generation is the first to come along without any hardships.

Both parents work

Serious-friggin-ly? The entire generation even HAS "both" parents?
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Rosalind Profile PhotoRosalind Profile Photo
Rosalind
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
I see this in a lot of people my age, but, my parents both worked and we had a very closed household.

I was just raised to pull my weight and do just as much work around the household because if my parents were busy that night, someone else had to tidy and make dinner. It was equal, we all kind of did our share.

Obviously my parents did more, because they're handling money and are, you know, doing the small task of RAISING a child, but I myself never understood the youth attitude towards adults.

Then again, I was always closer to my parents than I was to kids my age, when I was in junior high and high school.

I think what some of it may be is that, more and more nowadays, we see kids as young as ten with cell phones and purses and wanting to go on dates, and perhaps at that young an age, kids just begin to 'rebel' earlier and want to run their own lives and make their own rules?

That's just speculation of course.

I also think a lot of us are just plain spoiled.
"Just remembering you've had an 'and' when you're back to 'or' Makes the or mean more, than it did before..."
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Look at the many debates about bootlegs, downloads & theater tickets- they want what they want on their terms or else they'll steal it.

I think the internet has fired a lot of it. "Free free free free I want it free. I deserve it."
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Adults of any age are entitled to nothing. Nothing is free, and if a person is lucky enough to get something without working/paying for it they should realize it is a blessing.

While I find those people with an inflated sense of entitlement annoying, in the end they lose. While they're crying about how cruel the world is, the rest of us are working and (hopefully) amassing success on some level, be it personal or professional.

In the end the world doesn't care about what you think you deserve.
....but the world goes 'round
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No hardships? Dude, generalize much?

Now excuse me while I get back to work to pay into a social security fund that probably won't even exist when I qualify for it in 35 years or so.
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think I'm entitled to all of those things because I'm provided everything by family (um, I am). I think I'm entitled to those things because I was born into a world that already existed..one that gives me the impression that I can get anything if I set my mind to it. Does that mean you need to work hard? It should. But before I entered high school, which opened my mind a lot, I honestly thought that if I went to college, I would graduate, marry, have babies, and probably live the life that I was living with my parents. Cared for and protected.
That being said, I know a LOT under-30 people who have to deal with HARDSHIPS that are worse than what I have to go through. But even some of them think exactly like Willy Loman did. So I'm not certain that it is a "lack of hardship" thing.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've been mulling it, doodle...I just don't get it...and what really makes me mad is that he doesn't see how f'ed up it is.

You can't fix stupid as that alcoholic redneck comedian guy says.
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You guys should see THE CROWD.
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
(dont tell Cal that he's in the "oldster" crowd on this one!)
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Not for another seven months! re: Why do you consider yourself entitled to.....?
tazber Profile Phototazber Profile Photo
tazber
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think you mean The In Crowd, Cruel.
....but the world goes 'round
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Why do you consider yourself entitled to.....?

Nope. The Crowd.

Best movie about a man who thinks he's entitled.

Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And before anyone (younger) adds to the discussion that the world is a different place - we all get that.

For example - my first job out of college paid CRAP - but I took it because it was an amazing experience and I knew it would further my career goals. I worked at least a 60-70 hour week and based on my "salary" - I was making FAR below minimum wage and we won't even go into commuting costs.

Now at this job - I had access to a LOT of perks - but I never once expected any of them, nor did I even ask about them but was always grateful when they were offered.

A friend of mine currently in the entertainment industry has a bunch of recent grads under them. Within the first week of working, ALL of them at one point asked for free tickets to this, or to go to ___ event. And when they weren't given the tickets (or permission to go) they gave atittude about it.

Simply amazing.
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Every generation has the same complaint about the next generation...this is not new.

Seriously, lildogs...is there a good reason to keep the freeloader there?

Craig
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Doodle -

I disagree. With friends and family who are older than I am (obviously) - we've had this discussion. And while there are always going to be people who have a feeling of entitlement - the level at which its at now is, indeed, "new."

As someone else said - it's a "faster" world now where people have microwaves, computers, cell phones, etc - everything is immediate and the younger generations, for the most part, don't have to engage in wait times or processeses that others have.

It's an interesting phenonmenon.
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Remember -- or at least this is what the Calvin of seven months from now might say -- that we also have a lot of parents telling their kids they're special, smart, talented, etc. when they're really not.
Updated On: 1/31/08 at 03:43 PM
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's like a Marble Faun/Edie situation...I pity the kid and he has no place to go--but the buck is fixing to stop here.

And after he leaves, I'll kick the kid out.
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Absolutely right, Calvin.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Calvin the money you pay into Social Security is backed by the full faith & credit of the US of A. If they are at the point of not being able to make your Social Security payments, that will be the least of your problems.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Updated On: 1/31/08 at 03:46 PM
Gothampc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"Now excuse me while I get back to work to pay into a social security fund that probably won't even exist when I qualify for it in 35 years or so."

If you had supported privitization, you wouldn't have to worry about that. Social Security is a nice benefit, but it invests in the lowest rate of return.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.