PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
GLAAD Call to Action Alert: NY POST ARTICLE

GLAAD Call to Action Alert: NY POST ARTICLE
NY POST ARTICLE FEATURES
GRATUITOUS AND SENSATIONAL HEADLINE
January 25, 2008

The New York Post today ran a story about an ongoing criminal trial with the outrageous and offensive headline "Evil Lesbian Mom Left Toddler to Die Slow Death: DA."

The Post’s decision to describe the subject of this article using the phrase “evil lesbian” -- when it clearly would not highlight the orientation of a heterosexual suspect -- is the latest incident in the paper’s long, documented history of anti-gay slurs.

“The Post does it again,” said Rashad Robinson, GLAAD’s Senior Director of Media Programs. “Yet another inflammatory irresponsible headline designed to defame an entire community rather than inform the story.”

In addition, the story used the gratuitous and sensationalistic term "lesbian lovers."

After GLAAD contacted editors at the New York Post, its representatives refused to change the offensive headline on its website.

TAKE ACTION NOW!

GLAAD strongly urges you to contact the New York Post and demand that it change the online version of the headline to reflect the reality that the suspect’s sexual orientation is irrelevant to the facts of the case. Tell the Post you will not tolerate its continued disrespect for journalistic standards.

Laura Italiano
Reporter
New York Post
laura.italiano@nypost.com

Michelle Gotthelf
Metro Editor
New York Post
mgotthelf@nypost.com

GLAAD Contact: Paul Karr, Director of Media of Field Strategy
Phone: (646) 871-8022 Email: karr@glaad.org

Read article here:

EVIL LESBIAN MOM LEFT TODDLER TO DIE SLOW DEATH
Updated On: 1/25/08 at 08:52 PM
jaystarr Profile Photojaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Thanks...defintely need to take action against that republican paper! will do.

J*
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I could get behind a campaign to get the Evil Lesbian Mom to change....changing the headline isn't really going to help much.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Liverpool Profile PhotoLiverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
ugh, why won't glaad just die.
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As long as there's a New York Post demonizing lesbian mothers, there will always be a GLAAD.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
as long as theres something pointless to kvetch about for cheap useless publicity there will always be GLAAD
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PJ I'm tempted to say that you really can't "demonize" someone who left their child to die a lingering death...they did it themselves.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
She's a lesbian, a mother and evil. I fail to see the problem with the headline.

she is clearly a useless **** of a woman that loves the **** and hates babies.

AN EVIL LESBIAN MOTHER.

deal with it.
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Will they identify people as gay or lesbian if the story is a positive one, too? If so, ok. If not, then it's a double standard.

Similarly, the homosexual community has to accept that there are members who are less than wonderful. The whole response to Larry Craig was rather amusing to watch. The same people castigating him for his closeted hypocrisy didn't want to accept him as part of the gay community, either. Sorry, you don't get to pick and choose.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The message to NY Post readers is that all lesbian mothers are evil. The headline equates being lesbian with being evil and implies that any evil lesbian who be so "unnatural" as to have a child will leave the child out to die because all lesbians are evil and evil lesbians shouldn't be allowed to be mothers.

The label dehumanizes lesbians. And the history of the world has shown that once a class of people has been sufficiently dehumanized, they can be tortured, beaten, bashed and killed without compunction.

I'm glad there's a GLAAD to battle these things. If you don't think they do it well enough (as I frequently think), get off your fat lazy asses and get involved.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
blah blah blah, you're just looking for reasons to be offended. It's getting old. Let's try and save our strength to fight something real, LIKE THE GOVERNMENT DENYING US EQUAL RIGHTS. silly headlines in the NY Post (which in my eyes is little more than the national enquirer when it comes ot credibility and journalistic integrity). Honestly, its just silly.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, Yawper. The New York Post has a long and ugly history of homophobic reductions and stereotypes. Sean Delonas, their star editorial cartoonist, still depicts gay men as limp-wristed pre-Stonewall fops and none of their news stories are ever gay friendly or positive.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
yeah cause god knows there are no gays that are limp wristed pre-stonewall fops.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Wait- I think the reverse is true, actually. By saying "Evil Lesbian Mother" they are saying that NOT all Lesbian moms are evil, aren't they?
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
But if I have to agree with Liverpool, I'll change my position.
Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
lol joe.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Typical New York Post cartoons that use poodles, limp wrists, bouffant hair and prancing steps to depict gay men:

re: GLAAD Call to Action Alert: NY POST ARTICLE

Liverpool
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the french one is funny.

Also, why is Ernie from sesame street in the cave with Bin Laden?
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The guy with the sheep is being interpreted as gay why?

Are you also assuming France is a gay country?

The only thing remotely associated with a gay stereotype there is the poodle in the first frame.
Updated On: 1/26/08 at 01:00 AM
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Rashad Robinson, GLAAD’s Senior Director of Media Programs is going to need some time off. TWO GLAAD Calls to Actions Alerts in the very same week! Whew! Thank Judy Garland he has a sizeable support staff.

Do any reasonable people, and yes PalJoey, I include you among them even though you keep shilling for GLAAD, really think there's ANY point of looking at the Post so as to get all upset and righteous about it? W-H-O C-A-R-E-S????

This docile old queen is going to become a psychotic homosexual killer if he sees that damn stupid acronym any more this week. Then GLAAD can protest me for perpetuation of stereotypes.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Updated On: 1/26/08 at 01:11 AM
jrb_actor Profile Photojrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Do any reasonable people really think there's ANY point of looking at GLAAD so as to get all upset and righteous about it? W-H-O C-A-R-E-S????

Just a thought...

westcoast_wannabe Profile Photowestcoast_wannabe Profile Photo
westcoast_wannabe
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
If the headline had read "Evil Black Mom Left Toddler To Die Slow Death" wouldn't the NAACP be up in arms over the inflammatory headline? And shouldn't they be? On the one hand yes it is a bit petty to make a fuss over a headline in the Post, but it does imply that she is a bad mother because she's a lesbian. How was the fact that she's a lesbian pertinent to the situation?

PS sorry to make the gay/black comparison it's so cliche re: GLAAD Call to Action Alert: NY POST ARTICLE
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
If you're stupid enough to take anything in that rag as something to get upset about, well then, Mr. Murdoch wins another reader.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
that's not ernie, it's bert, and ironically (especially for this thread), bert is evil.
bert is evil
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
Yawper
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't think the NAACP would react to that. I think the slight is in the interpretation by the reader. If it said "Evil Brooklyn mom" or "Evil Republican mom" or "Evil (pick your adjective) mom" it's all the same to me.