Page: 1

Peggy Noonan: George Bush DESTROYED the Republican Party

PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
In today's Wall Street Journal:

"George W. Bush destroyed the Republican Party, by which I mean he sundered it, broke its constituent pieces apart and set them against each other. He did this on spending, the size of government, war, the ability to prosecute war, immigration and other issues."
Breaking Up Is Hard to Do
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Her comments on the Republicans are valid, as are the points she makes regarding the Democrats.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, but she's been making similarly critical comments about the Democrats for 25 years.

This is the first time she's ever used that kind of harsh realistic words for the Republicans.
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Peggy Noonan has never had a valid point except possibly the one on the top of her head. She has some worthwhile thing to say about King George the Worst, but really, if his polls were just a lil' bit higher she'd be raving about how he's the logical heir to Ronald Reagan and the first great president of a new Paradigm.
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Updated On: 1/25/08 at 09:12 AM
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Peggy Noonan has the distinction of being the one writer who can almost make me retch just by reading her columns, such as this one following the 2004 election:
Does 'savor' mean 'induce vomiting'?
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Before there was GWBush/Cheney et al, there were/are:
Scalia
Thomas
Newt Gingrich
Tom Delay
GHWBush
Dan Quayle
Ronald Reagan
Nixon
Strom Thurmond
and many other acolytes.

The true question begs, what was there that was really worth 'destroying'?
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Well, Barack Obama said it was the party of ideas.
lildogs Profile Photolildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
That's not EXACTLY what he said, though, is it, you Shillary!

Are you mixing the Kool-Aid as well?
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm not shilling for Hillary. I'm holding out for Gore.
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
You'd have a better chance of seeing Lesley Gore, I'm afraid. He ain't gettin in this...which is sad, cause I'd hold out for him too.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
and i'm holding out for press secretary in a jim traficant administration.
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
lildogs
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Calvin Profile PhotoCalvin Profile Photo
Calvin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's my party, and I'll hold out if I want to.
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'll hold out for Gore forever. He's dreamy.

Confession: Peggy Noonan once kissed me.
papalovesmambo Profile Photopapalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
peggy had a nooner party and ran a train of republicans into her caboose
r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective
JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PJ did you ever think of doing a one man show "The Night Peggy Noonan Kissed Me"?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
PJ, are you sure she didn't hit you and it felt like a kiss?
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Day Peggy Noonan Kissed Me#17
Posted: 1/25/08 at 2:23pm
It was in broad daylight, after a business meeting. I was, as you can imagine, taken aback. I think she called me "Sweetie."

Larry Kramer kissed me on several occasions. He also yelled at me.

Leonard Bernstein pulled my face to his, stuck his tongue in my ear and sloshed it around until I wriggled free.

Enough?
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Day Peggy Noonan Kissed Me#18
Posted: 1/25/08 at 4:57pm
Catherine O'Hara winked at me and squeezed my arm in a coffee shop on Broadway. If I saw her today, I'd just wink back and whisper "Marilyn Hack ...say Marilyn Hack."

But did anyone ever read Peggy's famous post 9/11 column on shopping? How women should take after Karen Hughes, stop wearing make-up, wash their faces with Dove Foamy Cleanser, towel them dry, and stroll the mall "just looking at the array of American products, even if you can't afford them..." Why the use of Dove Foamny Cleanser helped us, in a post 9/11 world I know not, but it's in the brilliant Faludi book, THE TERROR DREAM. She's bananas, our Peggy, and goes on to say a mother and daughter can have the day of a lifetime, just "sharing a big, soft pretzel..."
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/25/08 at 04:57 PM
Mister Matt Profile PhotoMister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Day Peggy Noonan Kissed Me#19
Posted: 1/25/08 at 5:27pm
Love that photo! Wasn't that one of the recent couture creations on Project Runway?
"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
roquat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The Day Peggy Noonan Kissed Me#20
Posted: 1/25/08 at 7:38pm
Does she write those meant-to-be-tender mother/daughter Summer's Eve ads? "Mom, do you ever feel...not so fresh?"
I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."