Question re: acting my age

broadwaytourist
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Question re: acting my age#1
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:52pm
I'm a 47 year old (is that middle age?) mother of one who is going to NYC for the weekend of February 1. Seeing Xanadu among others. I'm wondering where to go, what to do, how to dress so that no one would think, "There goes another poor miserable slobby tourist." Now, mind you, I don't really care what strangers think, but I simply don't want to look a fool. I don't want to be known as a "dowdy hosuewife" while I'm there. I am overweight (working on that - have lost 40 in the last 9 months), but don't want to appear to be matronly. I plan to wear lots of black, and I do not own any of those hdieous "Eyeore" sweatshirts that have been mentioned on this board..

Does anyone understand my dilemma and have thoughts on it?

Thanks,

abg
broadwaytourist
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
re: Question re: acting my age#2
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:53pm
P.S. I won't be wearing a fanny pack!!!
luvtheEmcee Profile PhotoluvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#2
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:55pm
Just... look like you know where you're going. Even if you don't. Fake it. One of the most stereotypical, "Oh, that's a tourist!" things you can do is like stand around, IN your map, gazing up at the buildings. Just walk with a sense of direction. re: Question re: acting my age In Times Square, at least. You can't get seriously lost there. And, I mean, without Eeyore and the fanny pack, you're already several steps ahead of the game. re: Question re: acting my age

Have fun. re: Question re: acting my age
A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/20/08 at 03:55 PM
wexy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#3
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:57pm
Just don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk taking pictures and you will be fine.
'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'
LePetiteFromage
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:59pm
Updated On: 2/21/09 at 03:59 PM
SweetQintheLights
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#5
Posted: 1/20/08 at 3:59pm
"I do not own any of those hdieous "Eyeore" sweatshirts that have been mentioned on this board.. "

Did I miss something?

I realize those fanny packs are a fashion faux-pas, but they were really good for somethings.
I think I still own one from Disney World when I went back in the day.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178
Updated On: 1/20/08 at 03:59 PM
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#6
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:04pm
"Just don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk taking pictures and you will be fine."

Hey, Wexy, that was me! I'm always doing that! re: Question re: acting my age
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
PalJoey Profile PhotoPalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#7
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:04pm
Dress casual, but up.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#8
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:19pm
Like PJ said - dress comfortably casual. The fact that you're even asking about it means saying "up" is unnecessary. Flat shoes will get you where you're going even faster. (If you dress in basically black or dark colors, you'll fade in with the other 2 million people on the sidewalks!)

As for stopping and looking up or taking pictures - I just wouldn't worry about it. There are SO MANY people crowding those streets that you won't even be noticed. Just do yourself and them a favor and walk over to the side of the sidewalk - up against a building - before doing the stopping, looking, picture taking, map checking, etc. It'll be easier on all of you!

Have a wonderful time, although that seem unnecessary too. How could it be anything else?!
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
thetinymagic2 Profile Photothetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#9
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:24pm
Everybody's gonna be wearing a puffy coat, anyway, it's FEB! Blizzard time!. Don't be overly concerned, although, black is a good idea, and your accessories can be "colorful". Don't open your purse in public, and check out "cheapassfood.com". Save $$$ and eat some interesting food. Have fun!
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#10
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:28pm
dress casual, but up

NO fanny pack (tacky, and nothing says tourist like that)

you've already gotten all the good advice.

DO take pictures, but not in the middle of a street or sidewalk. There is NOTHING wrong with being a tourist....(you should see New Yorkers in San Francisco, London, Paris, etc with their cameras)
just be a respectful tourist.......
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Rathnait62 Profile PhotoRathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#11
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:32pm
There are plenty of New Yorkers who wear fanny packs, you elitists. And especially for tourists, they're very safe. So they're not the most attractive things in the world - at least she'll have her money, credit cards, and ID when she goes home.

This thread is just too much. Wear whatever you're comfortable in - exploring a city is tiring enough without having to be uncomfortable in your clothes/shoes, etc. Wearing black is a great idea, and like tinymagic said, who's going to know what you're wearing under your coat anyway?
Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#12
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:41pm
there are people everywhere with bad taste, AGAIN.......fanny packs are tacky, easy to steal (one quick whack with a knife) and look foolish. A lot of travel books even mention to NOT use them.

They look ridiculous, and nothing says tourist more.

A regular purse is fine. As with all traveling, just be aware of your surroundings........

NO fanny packs, and since Rath will try to argue the point, which is a ridiculous point to begin with (such as name calling "elitist" as if NOT having a fanny pack makes one an elitist)I will not comment on the issue further.....as Rath must always have the last word, please, my dear.....take it.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#13
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:46pm
I'm a New Yorker with a little bit of a different view on this topic.

I'm putting myself in your shoes (no pun), broadway tourist. If I were a tourist in Paris, let's say... I would make sure I was comfortable in what I wore and I'd stand anywhere I wanted and look up, around, across, take as many pictures as I want, from whatever angle I want! After all, I've never been there, and may not go back again.

Folks who live in highly "touristed" cities should understand that tourists do touristy things. They are the source of the money which keeps the city alive!

Rant over
orangeskittles Profile Photoorangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#14
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:49pm
You can safely maintain your belongings in any kind of bag you feel comfortable with as long as you're aware; you don't have to have it strapped over your crotch or buried underneath your coat just to feel "safe". Besides, wouldn't something that overtly screams "tourist" make you even more of a target?
Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 1/20/08 at 04:49 PM
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#15
Posted: 1/20/08 at 4:51pm
again, be a respectful tourist, respectful of your surroundings and of the people who live where you are visiting.

SNAFU Profile PhotoSNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#16
Posted: 1/20/08 at 5:04pm
It cannot be stressed more. Wear comfortable shoes or sneakers that you are used to! I have had so many people come visit me and bring new shoes and sneakers that they have never worn before. 9 out of 10 times it has cause blisters and very sore feet. New York is very much a walking town! As far as foot wear I always tell people comfort over style!
Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!
SueleenGay Profile PhotoSueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#17
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:05pm
"Now, mind you, I don't really care what strangers think..."

Isn't that what this is all about? If you truly didn't care you wouldn't have started this thread.

I think your "I 'heart' Clay" shirt will be fine no matter where you go.
PEACE.
Kristie-K2 Profile PhotoKristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#18
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:08pm
OMG, I am laughing about the fanny pack.....I have been to NYC five times in four years and I wear one.........
It holds my subway card, one credit card, money and my lipstick(must have my lipstick) It works fine for me because it keeps my hands free......The subway rides can be rough and I need to hold on tight.....The only difference is that my fanny pack goes under my coat so no one can see it. We always go to Manhattan in the Winter......I don't think I would wear one in the summer......Yes, they are tacky, but I love mine.....
AbbaRabbit Profile PhotoAbbaRabbit Profile Photo
AbbaRabbit
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#19
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:13pm
re: Question re: acting my age

edit:

I don't want to be known as a "dowdy hosuewife" while I'm there.

oh give me a break. no one there knows you. you wont see any of them again, they wont see you again. no one is going to be telling stories over cheese and wine later that night saying "did you see what she was wearing? who is she trying to fool?"
you're going to be there for a weekend. you're not going to be known as anything.
Less is more
Ugly is beautiful
"My brother plays a drag queen... and I'm surprised he looks as good as he does in drag." - Adam Rapp

"thanks, abba. now i'll forever have an image of you as a tattoed hardcore straightedge grrl savaging people in the mosh pit." - papalovesmambo

"Yeah Abba. All the filthy crap you spew out there on those boards. I for one, am equally shocked. :-P" - AnnaK
Updated On: 1/20/08 at 07:13 PM
AngActing Profile PhotoAngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
re: Question re: acting my age#20
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:15pm
Well, I live in New York, for years and am constantly walking around with my camcorder and/or camera as I love to take photos and video at stage doors or of the season's, architecture, interesting people and whatever catches my eyes as I marvel at what a great city I chose to spend my life in . .

As for, are you middle age? Well, you are if you live to be 94 -- you are perfectly middle-age. If you live longer, you're almost middle-age or if you pass on younger, say 80 -- you were middle-age 7 years ago, on the nose. My way of looking at aging!

Remember 47 is the new 37, anyway.

Wear comfortable walking shoes, warm layers (if it gets as freezing as today) and for safety; if you do have lots to carry around -- keep your purse close to you.

Many of us New Yorkers get long straps for our purse and put it around a shoulder while moving about.

Do NOT hang your purse on a chair at a restaurant. That is just asking for someone to grab it. Keep it on your lap, or under your chair between your feet or on a vacant chair at your table.

Do NOT pull out large sums of cash in the middle of the street or on the subway, be discreet when pulling out credit cards and cash.

Do NOT announce how much money you do have.

I warn you of this, because I've seen tourists do just these things and then complain that New York is full of muggers and rude people. Common sense, I know, but some tourists forget these general rules of city life.

That said, most people will give you directions or help you find something if you get lost. If such a thing happens, don't panic and just ask someone, calmly, if they can help you out. Also, places like Port Authority and Grand Central Station have information booths if you'd rather not ask a stranger. Also, NYPD is around all the time and will answer questions, too.

Have fun, it's an incredible city!!! I love it here!
Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa
Updated On: 1/20/08 at 07:15 PM
nygrl23 Profile Photonygrl23 Profile Photo
nygrl23
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
re: Question re: acting my age#21
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:38pm
Lots of good advice. Definitely be comfortable, try not to block sidewalk traffic too much, and dress in layers as you'll be going in and out of doors a lot, since NYC is not exactly an integrated marketplace (i.e., big on malls). Travel light when you're out and about, and have a purse that can be cross-slung over your shoulder to your opposite hip. Or perhaps a small (stylish if you want!) backpack. Carry hand sanitizer and a small water bottle and light, healthy snacks to keep you going as you'll be burning energy walking, and it's not a good idea to let your calories burn out.

Congrats on your weight loss! You'll definitely get some cardio just by touring the city. Have a great time. :)
supportivemom Profile Photosupportivemom Profile Photo
supportivemom
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#22
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:49pm
Totally get where you are coming from! I'm 45 and definitely not at the weight of my single days. Everyone has given you wonderful advice because New Yorkers are WONDERFUL people. I was even lucky enough to meet up with a couple of BWW posters when I was in New York and they were so gracious and helpful to me. Congrats on your weight loss- I'd love to be able to say that I did that before I went to New York. Just make sure to walk as much as you can because the food is excellent! Enjoy! mom
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#23
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:49pm
Wow, can you imagine going somewhere as a tourist and having to be careful you don't get in anyone's way?

I'm a New Yorker, and there are still impatient people who can't stand to walk behind anyone! They'll cut you off so sharply that they step on you.

If you're a New Yorker and you come across a group of tourists on the sidewalk, go around them. So what if you spend one or two extra seconds on your way. Let them look at what they want!
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Question re: acting my age#24
Posted: 1/20/08 at 8:07pm
"Do NOT hang your purse on a chair at a restaurant. That is just asking for someone to grab it. Keep it on your lap, or under your chair between your feet or on a vacant chair at your table.

Do NOT pull out large sums of cash in the middle of the street or on the subway, be discreet when pulling out credit cards and cash.

Do NOT announce how much money you do have."

GREAT advice above for traveling anywhere!

BUT I totally disagree with the purse, NEVER on a vacant seat, NEVER just on a lap......it can be taken so easily.....I've seen it happen in Europe.
A purse, camerabag, whatever ALWAYS needs to be attached to you.....it is not safe on a vacant chari or on a lap. Best, is wearing it in front of you if possible.....then you can see if anyone is coming.

Now, I feel NYC is MUCH safer than major European cities which has specific populations who specialize in this, the Roma, the Turks (not all, but many).

My camera bag and wallet is like your purse, and my wallet is always in my front pocker when I travel, and the camera bag is worn in front of me.

Friends of mine were robbed in broad daylight in front of St. Stephen's Basilica in Budapest, simply because they were foolish enough to open their wallets and check their money.