Page: 1

Magnolia Bakery is opening its 2nd Location on the Upper West Side

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photoverynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I haven't been to the original location in months, before that it was years..truthfully I think it has become such a trend and just overrated. If it weren't for the lines and the hype, it would be a perfectly nice, homey bakery.

I drove pass the new location, and was pleasantly surprised that they were opening on the Upper West Side. I called the old store and asked when they were opening. They said that they should be opened this Monday (1.21).

It's on Columbus, northwest corner of 69th St.
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I've only had cupcakes (twice) from there. The icing is a bit too thick and sweet for me.

I WORSHIP Martha's Country Bakery in Forest Hills, though. To die for.
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I'm glad I got my fill of Magnolia way before it became trendy with the long lines. I found the cupcakes to be pretty good, although a little sweet for me. The cakes that you get by the slice-too expensive and DRY (ugh).

The best thing they have there and I highly recommend is the banana pudding.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 1/18/08 at 03:38 PM
robbiej Profile Photorobbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Friends got me a birthday cake from there once and it was like eating sand.

I then tried to get same friend a Magnolia cake (it was a status thing and we were in our 20s) and was sneered at because I didn't order two weeks ahead of time. I then went to a VERY similar baker, Buttercup Bake Shop, and they gladly took my order, charged less and created and delicious, moist fabulous cake!
"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."
FindingNamo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Buttercup is the ex-girlfriend, right? Hell hath no fury like that raised by a bakery-related lesbian breakup.
Can you hear me now? Twitter: @NamoInExile
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
And then there's the other spinoff-Billy's!
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the banana pudding at magnolia is yum..however, it's super easy to make..PM me if you want the original recipe

buttercup bake shop also has a couple of locations throughout the city, i think..one that i know of on 72nd between amsterdam and columbus. i think its owned by a former co-owner of magnolia.

blueroses, thanks for the tip on martha country bakery in forest hills. i used to live in forest hills, and i never had that before. is it new?
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
the cheesecake at billy's is amazing. it's insanely moist and light and delicious.

Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"the banana pudding at magnolia is yum..however, it's super easy to make..PM me if you want the original recipe"

That's all I need, lol! But thanks so much!
blueroses
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I think the original location is in Astoria. The Forest Hills bakery replaced one of my favorite stores (ArtWorld) not too long ago. The German Chocolate and Vanilla Vanilla flavored cupcakes are delicious. Great rice pudding, too!
verynewyorkcurious
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
banana pudding recipe

this recipe was taken off one of magnolia's cookbooks. there are recipes of everything they sell at the bakery in their cookbooks.

-----------------------------------------------------

I started making this pudding when I was in my early twenties and cooking at a Tex-Mex restaurant and bar. Customers loved it, so when we opened the bakery many years later, it seemed like a great idea to serve it there. It remains the second most popular dessert (after the cupcakes) at the bakery.

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups ice cold water
1 (3.4-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix (preferably Jell-O brand)
3 cups heavy cream
1 (12-ounce) box Nabisco Nilla Wafers (no substitutions!)
4 cups sliced ripe bananas

1. In a small bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat together the sweetened condensed milk and water until well combined, about 1 minute. Add the pudding mix and beat well, about 2 minutes more. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight, before continuing. It is very important to allow the proper amount of time for the pudding mixture to set.

2. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the pudding mixture into the whipped cream until well blended and no streaks of pudding remain.

3. To assemble the dessert, select a large, wide bowl (preferably glass) with a 4-5-quart capacity. Arrange one-third of the wafers to cover the bottom of the bowl, overlapping if necessary, then one-third of the bananas and one-third of the pudding. Repeat the layering twice more, garnishing with additional wafers or wafer crumbs on the top layer of the pudding. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours - or up to 8 hours, but no longer! - before serving.
Updated On: 1/18/08 at 04:48 PM