Page: 1

This TV Season? Put a fork in it

JoeKv99 Profile PhotoJoeKv99 Profile Photo
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
This TV Season? Put a fork in it#1
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:07pm
You know what this means: No more new 30 Rock, Office or Ugly Betty episodes till.......?????

LOS ANGELES (AP) Four major studios have canceled dozens of writers' contracts in a possible concession that the current television season cannot be saved, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.

The move means the 2-month old writers strike may also endanger next season's new shows, the Times said.

January is usually the beginning of pilot season, when networks order new scripted shows. But the strike leaves networks without a pool of comedy and drama scripts from which to choose.

20th Century Fox Television, CBS Paramount Network Television, NBC Universal and Warner Bros. Television told the Times they have terminated development and production agreements.

Studios typically pay $500,000 to $2 million a year per writer for them and their staffs to develop new show concepts.

"I didn't see it coming," Barbara Hall, a writer and producer whose credits include former CBS series "Joan of Arcadia" and "Judging Amy," told the Times, which said ABC executives gave her the news Friday. "I am not entirely sure what their strategy is, all I know was that I was a casualty of it."

The newspaper said more than 65 deals with writers have been eliminated since Friday.

Studios cancel contracts
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
doodlenyc Profile Photodoodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#2
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:29pm
Cant wait for the Emmys!
"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

ljay889 Profile Photoljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#2
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:30pm
Thank God for reality shows.
Icehouse Life
Stand-by
Stand-by
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#3
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:32pm
Got the Beijing 2008 Olympics coming up in August.
sesot Profile Photosesot Profile Photo
sesot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#4
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:33pm
I hope things change before August. Why haven't soap operas been impacted by the strike?
xxnewgirlxx Profile Photoxxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#5
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:36pm
I miss the Office and Samantha Who?
DottieD'Luscia Profile PhotoDottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#6
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:38pm
Sesot, I'm thinking that their writers are on a different contract.
Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
sesot Profile Photosesot Profile Photo
sesot
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#7
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:42pm
Thanks Dottie. Too bad they weren't the ones that went on strike. I guess for now soaps are the only new non reality shows on air right now.
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#8
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:48pm
They still have the History Channel and the Discovery Channel. I know a lot of people don't bother to switch to those channels, but they've got a LOT of diverse information and it's always presented in a really interesting way.

Who were the writers for the last season of Gilmore Girls? Boy, that show's script went down the toilet those last few episodes. But I miss it anyway
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#9
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:53pm
Soaps ARE on a different contract, mainly because they dont re-run, so there is no problem about residuals. But I read somewhere that they may soon be impacted.
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#10
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:00pm
Anna, I find a lot of the History channel's programming downright insulting lately. A Biography of Evel Knieval? Nostradamus crap?
No good can possibly come from using this vast wasteland of error and deliberate deceit. You should get off of it and warn others away. You should make sure your children and grandchildren know what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution it truly is.
AnnaK<3LMIP Profile PhotoAnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#11
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:02pm
I haven't seen that. Come to think of it, I haven't seen History Channel in a while. LIFE AFTER PEOPLE looks pretty cool.
I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.
JoeKv99
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#12
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:03pm
I am looking forward to that. I have a hunch this planet will be far more enjoyable when the rest of you aren't here.
SeanMartin Profile PhotoSeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#13
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:12pm
>> Soaps ARE on a different contract, mainly because they dont re-run, so there is no problem about residuals. But I read somewhere that they may soon be impacted.

Uhm... yes, they do. The Soap Opera channel.
http://docandraider.com
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#14
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:18pm
I thought the soaps had months of scripts stockpiled and that's why they are still churning them out, but I could be wrong.
SeanMartin Profile PhotoSeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#15
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:20pm
Nope, those are written and re-written right up to taping. That's one reason why the scenes are all so short: the actors generally get no time whatsoever to learn lines.
http://docandraider.com
Phyllis Rogers Stone
Suspended
Suspended
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#16
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:47pm
See, that's what I always thought - which admittedly came from movies like Tootsie and Soapdish - and then I read a couple of blurbs before the strike saying they had scripts written very far in advance, and I wondered if that was some sort of bs.
CyCoSpAz2 Profile PhotoCyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#17
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:49pm
Big Brother - February 12!
ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photoray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it#18
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:59pm
That was a below-the-belt hit. Wonder how the WGA will deal with it. Will they budge an inch? I definitely support them but wouldn't a poorly remunerated job be better than no job?
Meanwhile, I'm going through PUSHING DAISIES, 30 ROCK, UGLY BETTY, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, HEROES, GREY'S ANATOMY, SAMANTHA WHO? and BROTHERS & SISTERS. Okay, I know a few of those shows aired new episodes last week but knowing that I won't see them again for a long long time to come makes me sad. I used to not watch TV, now I'm a lost cause.
I think the ones suffering the most are the new shows that needed their freshman season to grab their future audience. I am also worried about the mid-season shows that never really had the chance to wrap up their 11-15 episodes (I think that's usually the mid-season number).
30 ROCK also needed the chance of a full second season.
The show that worries me the most is LOST, it was bad enough waiting till January for new episodes, now we'll just get a handful of new episodes and that's it for who knows how long? re: This TV Season? Put a fork in it
Sad, sad, sad.
Only silver lining is that perhaps now some great theater stars working on TV will get the chance to do a few shows: Jane Krakowski, Chandra Wilson, Kristin Chenoweth, Swoozie Kurtz, Vanessa Williams, etc.
"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"