Do you feel weird about art connected to horrible acts of violence?

Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
For example, Ian Curtis of Joy Division hung himself after watching Werner Herzog's STROZEK and then listening to Iggy Pop's THE IDIOT.

Mark David Chapman killed John Lennon after reading THE CATCHER IN THE RYE.

Spaulding Gray killed himself apparently after watching the film BIG FISH.

jeniferrenepatricia Profile Photojeniferrenepatricia Profile Photo
jeniferrenepatricia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Yes, I do, and it makes me sick when they make movies about it even more. Anything to make a buck...it's disgusting. I hear that soon the movie will be out about Chapman. You know why a movie would be made about John Hinckley before James Brady? Because hero doesn't sell...sensationalism does. I think that Chapman would have killed John Lennon if he read "Catcher in the Rye" or not. That was just a lame excuse for a sick man that wanted the limelight.
Acting should be bigger than life. Scripts should be bigger than life. It should all be bigger than life.- Bette Davis
Ida Noodleman
Stand-by
Stand-by
Mentally ill people who are inclined toward acts of sensational violence will always read more into a work of art than what is intended. It doesn't matter what they read, they will eventually find what they are looking for in one work or another. Why do ask? Are you planning a violent act that you feel is dictated by a novel or movie?
What would Tina Yothers do?
artscallion Profile Photoartscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
BWW HEADLINE 1/9/07

Cruel_Sandwich stomps feet, kicks little sister and begins pout session after reading Ida Noodleman's insightful post. Movie to be directed by Tim Burton.
Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.
Mamie Profile PhotoMamie Profile Photo
Mamie
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
It's WIERD, but I read your topic title as just the opposite - people who create 'art' from horrible acts. Photographic images of victims of crimes being the least of these. These are totally reprehensible to me. The one's you actually meant are (as Ira said) the results of a victim of mental illness mis-reading the item in question. There's no telling how their minds are going to interpret otherwise innocent items.
www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03
Borstalboy Profile PhotoBorstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't forget, Cruel: That eighties kid tried to kill himself after listening to Judas Priest! But he was a nobody, not a celebrity at all so I guess it doesn't count.
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing. ~ Muhammad Ali
Elphaba Profile PhotoElphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Nope, not at all. I mean I am constantly reading your ridiculous posts and I've not so much as even smacked the cat.
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
Jane2 Profile PhotoJane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I don't ascribe to the theory that being exposed to those works of art were the direct causes of the violent acts.
<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
neddyfrank2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
The only thing that I find REALLY weird is Cruel_Sandwhich.
TheatreDiva90016 Profile PhotoTheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Now his spam isn't even original.

He starts posts because of other comments in other threads.

JUST STOP POSTING NEW THREADS!
"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post. <<>> -whatever2
best12bars Profile Photobest12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"It's WIERD, but I read your topic title as just the opposite - people who create 'art' from horrible acts."

Mamie---I thought the same thing!

I was expecting to discuss Picasso's masterpiece Guernica or James Cameron's Titanic.

re: Do you feel weird about art connected to horrible acts of violence?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
besty I FINALLY get to see Guernica in Madrid in April. I am SO psyched!
It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956
StickToPriest Profile PhotoStickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Elphaba, it is amazing in person. Much larger than I expected it to be.
"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Elphaba
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Stick I am so excited. That and the Prado will be the highlights of Madrid....well, and the thick hot chocolate and churros!
nitsua Profile Photonitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
What about Botero?

He painted a whole series of paintings that dealt with Abu Ghraib.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

the only thing Botero makes me do is smile! re: Do you feel weird about art connected to horrible acts of violence?

nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Did you see the other Abu Ghraib paintings?

The man is incredibly talented (my favorite is the fat Mona Lisa), but those Abu Ghraib ones are pretty sick. I can't post any here, but you can find them online.
"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
No, I haven't-Ididn't know about them. I'll check it out.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Austin, thank you for "exposing" me to this work of Botero. I just spent some time on various sites looking and reading about the pieces. (I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't know about them).
nitsua
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Don't feel to bad. I found about the Abu ones in a really good GQ article. I think it was GQ, anyway.

As an artist, you have to do what you have to do. And painting those paintings is something he felt he had to do. As far as I know, he won't sell them. He doesn't want to make a profit off such a horrible act.
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I agree that as an artist you have to do what you have to do, and he did.

I don't like the paintings at all. It would be interesting to see what path his art takes from there. Will he continue on his political phase? We'll see.
Ida Noodleman
Stand-by
Stand-by
I've always loved Botero's work, but I haven't seen the Abu Ghraib paintings yet. Will have to check those out.

I agree that an artist should do what they ahve to do and an artist can use acts of horror to make a strong statement, just like they can use beauty to the same effect. However, if you're talking about someone using art as a reason for committing acts of violence and believing that the art has given them some sort of message to do so (that seems to be what the original post was asking), that's just mental illness and has nothing to do with the art.
If you're talking about using acts of horror and violence in art to shock people with no intent to make a statement, that nothing more than sensationalism done to gain attention. The purpose of any form of art, whether it's based on violence or beauty, should be to make people think and feel, not just shock them or gain attention for the artist.

What would Tina Yothers do?
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
"If you're talking about using acts of horror and violence in art to shock people with no intent to make a statement, that nothing more than sensationalism done to gain attention. The purpose of any form of art, whether it's based on violence or beauty, should be to make people think and feel, not just shock them or gain attention for the artist."

I wonder if and how you can tell the difference in motives from viewing the work.
I don't refer to Botero here, though. I'm quite sure he's sincere.

I hope he returns to his former style.
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 10:24 AM
iflitifloat Profile Photoiflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I applaud Botero's Abu Garib series. It creates a more permanent visual reminder of the blood on our hands. Wouldn't want one hanging in my hallway, but I'm glad the paintings exist, and hope lots of people get to see them.

Through the ages, art has depicted the suffering of man...often as it's being inflicted by others. Museums are filled with horrific images, but they don't have the ability to hurt us as much because enough time has passed that they don't feel personal. Or don't make us feel responsible. Or guilty.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 10:25 AM
Jane2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Actually, I'd like to amend what I said about Botero being sincere. He is sincere in his motive to cause us to think. However, since he does admit that the acts he depicted are not what actually happened at Abu Ghraib, and that he created them after reading an article written about the prison, he has added sensationalism to the work.

He hasn't accurately depicted what went on.
Updated On: 1/9/08 at 10:35 AM