Page: 1

Denis O'Hare in Charlie Wilson's War

Fabrizio2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Denis O'Hare in Charlie Wilson's War#1
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:04pm
Saw Charlie Wilson's War yesterday and was surprised to see Denis O'Hare (Sweet Charity, The Assassins) as "Harold Holt" (as listed by Imdb). You see him in a scene with Charlie Wilson (Tom Hanks) and also he is in a party scene (well not exactly). Anyways I thought this movie was fantastic and could possibly be considered "life changing". Although Julia Roberts was in it the film was more about Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman who were both fantastic. Oh, and Amy Adams is also in the movie as well and she has a medium sized part as Charlie Wilson's assistant/advisor.
iHeartMyGeek Profile PhotoiHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Denis O'Hare in Charlie Wilson's War#2
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:07pm
I was wondering if anyone was ever going to start a thread on this film.

I thought it was pretty good. Wouldn't go with life-changing, but it was very well-written and very well-acted. I enjoyed it.
"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Denis O'Hare in Charlie Wilson's War#2
Posted: 12/29/07 at 1:45pm
I enjoyed it, though it's a strange tale on which to build a mainstream, wide-audience seeking entertainment. At 96 minutes, it's tightly executed and breezes by. You're left with a lot of questions about 80s foreign policy that go unanswered (not a criticism -- we need more films that ask rather than lecture.) Still, it's a hard film to feel emotionally connected to. The Roberts character is a fascinated, hard-boiled, Jesus-loving Republican from Texas, and a lot of her scenes are almost too brief to fully explore her. Sorkin is a master of character detail, so it's not as if she's lacking dimension. I just wish we had some breathing room. The "war" must be created with a degree of authenticity, and some of the ugliest, harrowing sequences are sandwhiched in between high comedy. The tone isn't inconsistent, but ... well, it's not a clear cut genre piece. I'll be curious to see how well it does after 1/1/08. It's not exactly a holiday entertainment -- but then, neither is SWEENEY.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Cruel_Sandwich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I saw this movie yesterday and holy ****. The audience kind of collectively gasped when Julia Roberts said something to the effect of "President Zia didn't kill Bhutto!" Sure, she was referring to the father, but holy crap that was insane.

Just goes to show you how relevant this movie really is.
Auggie27 Profile PhotoAuggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
re: Denis O'Hare in Charlie Wilson's War#4
Posted: 1/3/08 at 12:58pm
I saw it a few days before, and the Bhutto line was ironic even before her death.

The film is a strange hybrid. Sort of a political MASH. The ad campaign clearly doesn't know what it's selling. I didn't love it as a seamess whole, as much as I admired the separate components independent of one another (the extraordinary casts'acting, the Sorkin script, the freshness of the subj. But I root for anything that breaks out of the genre-fication of Hollywood.
"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
madbrian Profile Photomadbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
I liked this movie a lot more than I expected to. I thought Julia Roberts was terrific, and I went in expecting to dislike her. I'm not a Hanks fan, but I went to this for the subject matter and wound up liking it a lot.
"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson
KChenowethfan Profile PhotoKChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
As a foreign policy junkie, I wish more movies were made about these kinds of issues that did not dumb things down for a mainstream audience.
"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
WOSQ
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
John Slattery is not exactly chopped liver either.
"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher